MyDrive Connect option to "Empty Download Folder" is greyed out

CharlesWD
CharlesWD Registered Users Posts: 13
Outstanding Explorer
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
I am therefore unable to clear the folder as suggested by DHN. I still cannot add maps on my new GO5200.

Comments

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,113
    Superuser
    @CharlesWD

The premier reason that it is greyed out is that MyDriveConnect (MDC) cannot detect your device, make sure it is plugged into your computer before you start MDC.
    Another reason, though rare, is that MDC does not have delete permissions of that listed folder, in that case make sure MDC is running in Administrator mode.
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Charles,

Welcome to the Community!

Updates for your device are managed from the device, in the Updates & New Items menu. You can use MyDrive Connect to share you're computer's internet connection instead of using the Wi-Fi® of your device, but the updates are still managed from the device.

What's you're actual problem? If your map update failed due to the issue we had last week, you can re-install it from the Add a map menu. For further instructions, please see here.

Cheers, Mikko
  • CharlesWD
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi Mikkok,
    Thank you for your reply.
    If you look at the screenshot that you have shown, the option to Empty Download Folder is also greyed out and not available. This is exactly my problem!!
    Regards,
    Charles
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    Charles, try a complete uninstall and reinstall of MyDriveConnect.

Another option might be to go directly to the cache folder on your computer and delete the contents using Window's File Manage (or finder, if a Mac).

For example, on my Windows 10 computer, the cache folder is found here:
    C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\TomTom\HOME3\cache
  • CharlesWD
    Outstanding Explorer
    Thanks DHN. I have over the last two or three days and nights tried all the things you suggest, without any change. I would say that I did manage to download the Benelux map, which someone said was the only one they had successfully downloaded, but even this hesitated at 91%. before recovering. However, apart from this allowing me to operate the menus etc on my GO5200, it is of no practical use to me, as I live in the UK. If I try to delete this map, it says I must download another map first. I try to download UK and Northern Ireland but this fails at 91% every time, saying that the internet connection has been lost. Same with Western Europe, although this always fails at 18%. As already mentioned, the MyDrive Connect option to empty the download folder(cache) is permanently greyed out and therefore not useable. I have tried uninstalling Mydrive connect and re-installing but get the same situation!! I have also tried deleting the cache folder in Windows10 to no avail.
    Cheers
    Charles
  • dhn
    Superuser
    Then you'll need support for further advice, I'm afraid:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • CharlesWD
    Outstanding Explorer
    Hi DHN,
    Thank you for all your help. I am actually waiting for TomTom support to come up with a solution. If they do not, in the next day or two, the GO5200 is going back for a refund.
    Kind Regards,
    Charles
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,794
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Charles
    Re "Download/installation interrupted".....
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend"
    See..... http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html
    Click on link and scroll down to "Turn Off USB Selective Suspend"
    Also, any screen savers any other power savers or USB port monitoring software installed

ATB YFM
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Charles,

As I mentioned, updates for your device are not managed with MyDrive Connect but directly from the device. The settings of MyDrive Connect will make no difference to you.

For more information about updating your device, please see

Updating your device using Wi-Fi®

At this point you'd probably best get in touch with Customer Service for further assistance. They can see in the backend where the problem lies and can advise you accordingly.

Cheers, Mikko
  • col29
    col29 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    I am having a similar problem with my TomTom GO 820. I have lost my live services; and after quiet a few weeks of trying to sort out the problem; I was advised to go to settings Empty the Downloads folder via the settings and click Save Settings. Trouble is there is no download folder in settings; so it is impossible to do this. After doing this I am supposed to.
    • Disconnect and reconnect the device
    • MyDrive Connect will then automatically process the jobs.
    • After the jobs have been processed (and maybe during) the device will reboot.
    Obviously if there is no option to empty the folder; the three options above can not be completed.
    You would think that the TomTom technicians would have come across this before and had an easy answer; but after several e mails to them; I am beginning to despair.
  • dhn
    Superuser
    @col29

See my earlier post in this thread for the (likely) location of the cache folder for you to delete contents manually.
This discussion has been closed.