No easy way to disable Bluetooth navigation instructions without loosing possibility to play MP3 — TomTom Community

No easy way to disable Bluetooth navigation instructions without loosing possibility to play MP3

FroBeFroBe Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
Before I start a car trip I will have to decide between disabling Bluetooth on my phone to be able to hear FM or CD through the stereo, or hear no navigation instructions except when I play MP3 from my mobile through Bluetooth.

I have seen the solution (disable Bluetooth Media) in this thread, but then I loose my possibility to play MP3 from my phone to the stereo: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-go-mobile-and-navigation-for-android-156/bluetooth-switch-991639

Google Navigation has the possibility to disable Bluetooth media sound for the instructions, and have better maps. The only benefit left with TomTom is the easy user interface...

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi FroBe,

If I understand you correctly, you'd like to listen to your car radio/CD and have it paused when the GO Mobile gives intructions, right? With the Bluetooth Media channel, currently used by the app, this indeed is not possible.

This has been requested here before and the product team has been looking into it. Unfortunately, there's no easy, reliable solution found to this yet.

Cheers, Mikko
  • FroBeFroBe Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I don't need/want GO Mobile to communicate or control my car stereo through Bluetooth at all.

The only way to do this today is to turn off Bluetooth (this will also disable my smartwatch) or unsync my car stereo (no quick way to resync).
    GO Mobile does not use the internal speaker in my phone any more if my phone is synced to the car stereo, thus I will not be able to hear navigation instructions unless I select Bluetooth audio on my car stereo. If I want to listen to radio I will not be notified when to take a turn.

I want a setting that forces GO Mobile to use the internal speaker in my phone even if Bluetooth is available.
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    you have set your bt incorrectly for your car. go into the bt settings on phone. select the car connection. remove media. this allows you to use the telephone system in car and play audio out of phone. if you have the media option enabled then you must select the bt as media source in car to hear any audio from phone.
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    cant edit other post on mobile, but if you have smartwatch and control phone through it then remember to disable the phone audio for the device - otherwise u will tasker and another app to control switching of the bt profiles
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 306 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    What you need is the ability of disabling Bluetooth sound from the TomTom App. Then the spoken turn-by-turn guidance will be through your speaker.

Am I correct?
  • FroBeFroBe Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    954dk wrote:
    What you need is the ability of disabling Bluetooth sound from the TomTom App. Then the spoken turn-by-turn guidance will be through your speaker.

Am I correct?

Yes, you are correct.
    If I disable Bluetooth Media on car stereo as walkerx suggest, I also disable the possibility to play MP3 music from my phone on the car stereo.

A permanent solution for me may be to learn the user interface of Google Maps Navigation, it will allow me to use my car stereo as I wish.
    I mostly use Google Maps.

It's at least as good as TomTom Go and sometimes even better. Google also has implemented a better traffic solution... ;)

If you could find an app to manage the Bluetooth rights of TomTom Go, you could just disable it.
    I tried to find one without success...
  • IanS100IanS100 Posts: 302 [Supreme Navigator]
    I have the same problem as FroBe, I like to listen to podcast from my Galaxy Note through my car Stereo so I need Bluetooth on & Media Audio selected, but this also means TomTom GO audio is output the to BT, which is not what I want. If I then decide to listed to a CD or the radio but want TomTom audio I have to switch Media Audio off or I get total silence from GO. All we need is the ability to select where we would like to send audio output, BT or phone speaker, this is something that has requested numerous times but totally ignored by TomTom.
    It looks like Advanced Permission Manager will do the trick.
    Select Tomtom Go and disable Bluetooth pairing rights:
    https://m.apkpure.com/advanced-permission-manager/com.gmail.heagoo.pmaster

Please note that you cannot hold me responsible for the above suggested app :)
    Thanks 954dk, since TomTom seem to be either reluctant or incapable of giving us control of TTG it's useful to have an alternative approach to this problem.

So far, I've installed APM and disable the BT permission, which doesn't seem to have affected TTG in any way, but I'll be using it in anger this evening so I'll have a better idea then :-)
    No problem mate!
    I'm happy to help :)
  • peter-hpeter-h Posts: 30 [Outstanding Explorer]
    This worked on android v5 (Samsung S6) but stopped working on v6 (Samsung S7) and TT have stated here that they have no fix for it.

So the only way I can use the S7 phone for satnav (while playing music) is to disable BT on it and turn up the volume so that the phone's voice is loud enough to hear.

However, TT crashes the S7 very comprehensively - see other thread - and TT have say they know about this but have no solution for that either... So I have gone to Sygic on the S7. The S6 is my backup phone.
    In addition to FroBe's challenges, I can add this:

Today I received a call though Bluetooth in my car while getting voice guidance through the phone speaker.
    When the phone call was ended, TomTom was totally silent. I had tone restart the app.

SGS6 Edge.
    Hi 954dk,

This issue was fixed in the v1.12. Please, remove the voice you're using and re-download it.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi,
    I'm using v1.13.2 with standard Danish voice Ida.
    Nothing modified from my side.
    Conclusion: It wasn't fixed in v1.12 ;)
    Hi 954dk,

Did you re-install the voice? If that doesn't help you sort this out, please contact Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi MikkoK,
    Yes, I reinstalled the voice and entire app.

Best regards.
    Hi 954dk,

We've just release v1.14 of GO Mobile for Android. Can you try with that, please?

If you're still experiencing this issue, please report it to Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi MikkoK,
    Sure, and I'll report it here ;)
    Returning with a new even worse experience:

After updating the app, things are more weird.

With the Bluetooth connection active between SGS6 and car, I get voice guidance when in media mode.

So far so good...

While listening to the radio and NOT being in media mode on car stereo, iI get no instriction.
    Thats obvious...

The phone rings and I pick it up. We start the conversation an suddenly Ida TomTom son starts giving me voice guidance over the phone connection.

Looks like the voice guidance makes a protocol jump or something like that.

I give up using voice guidance over Bluetooth, when using TomTom.

I really look forward getting a "Disable Bluetooth" slider in the app. :-/

Over and Out ;)
  • PaisleypcdocPaisleypcdoc Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I listen to audiobooks through bluetooth, and I simply just clicked the silence/mute icon in tomtom Go app to switch the voice off.
    Just use eyes for next maneuver.
    Yes, but the functionality we need, is being able to listen to TomTom through the phone's loudspeaker and still being able to use the phone, music player and so on through Bluetooth:-)
    I installed APM and disabled BT permission for TTG but it hasn't made the slightest difference to sound output on my Note 4. With BT Media Audio turned off, TTG sound output goes to the phone speaker, but switch BT Media Audio back on and the phone speaker goes silent, so it looks like it's back to the drawing board, unless TomTom decide to get their finger out and give us the option, but I'm not holding my breath :-(
  • musaikmusaik Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    This issue has been asked for a solution for almost 4 years now - one way or another. This is disappointing.

What we want is turn by turn spoken navigation by HFB and NOT through A2DP - or a possibility to choose which protocol to use.

How long do we have to wait for this?
  • Søren_NørnbergSøren_Nørnberg Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    musaik wrote:
    This issue has been asked for a solution for almost 4 years now - one way or another. This is disappointing.

What we want is turn by turn spoken navigation by HFB and NOT through A2DP - or a possibility to choose which protocol to use.

How long do we have to wait for this?

Search Google Play Store for AudioBT.
    It should work with TomTom, I haven't tested it yet.
    It works with Google Maps.
    There is a free trial version.