Operate my device- TomTom HOME grayed out — TomTom Community

Operate my device- TomTom HOME grayed out

I bought my TomTom One in winter 2008, I think. I LOVED it. It took me all over the United States with BBC Announcer Roddy giving me directions. As someone who gets lost backing out of the driveway, this device has been invaluable! Last week, I plugged my device into my computer and got a "critical update" message, and allowed the update into my device. HUGE MISTAKE! When I tried to operate my One through the TomTom portal, it was grayed out and I got a prompt that this feature was no longer available to me since the software wouldn't allow map updates, BUT that my TomTom would still operate as usual - what a big fat lie. After that "critical update," my device can no longer receive a signal. Had I not done that critical update, I would still have a usable device which would get me where I need to go. I am very unhappy with TomTom for the way this was done. I need a gps system so I got online and searched purposely for makers OTHER than TomTom. Had my device just given out on its own, I would have bought another TomTom. However, I used my device the week before this "critical update" and it immediately became a paperweight after that update. Shame on you, TomTom! I trusted that update you deemed "critical." I won't be buying any of your products again.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,211 Superusers
    Did you make a backup prior to the update?
  • monty-ffmonty-ff Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I would love to upgrade from 720 and 930 to latest but ever since the 1050 they have removed all the features that made the old ones so good, And both 1050's died after an update. Why would I buy a 6200 when it doesn't have POI's, I cant do a 10 or 20 point itinary for a whole days pretty route riding and I can't get an itn file to copy to my wife and the rest of the families devices so they can use the same route or come back to a route next year. If they are tyrign to loose all their cusotmers they are going the right way about. What idiots they are, time to try a Garmin ( though probbaly just as bad ??? )
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 3,467 Superuser
    edited February 9
    Hi @monty-ff

Re a GO6200 you can add 3rd Party .ov2 Poi files to the unit, search them on the unit and identify a POI which you can add to a route you have on the unit. You can search generally and add places to a route.

You can also create routes on the Tomtom MyDrive webpage and send them to a GO6200 and save them in your Account and sync them to the GO6200 so they are on the unit for you to select when you want them. Should you have to do a full reset of a GO6200 which would lose the saves Poi files and Routes on the unit when it connects to your TT account it reloads the the saved data using the inbuilt mobile sim so you don't have to be connected to a computer.

You can create routes on the unit and save them there but they are not synced back to TT MyDrive. You can export saved routes on a GO6200 to send to others if you want.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,414 Superusers
    edited February 9
    Hi
    @monty-ff
    monty-ff wrote: »
    Why would I buy a 6200 when it doesn't have POI's
    See Tomtom video Installing 3rd party POis....

Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the Tomtom supplied generic Icons
    But you can use one icon for for more than one POI category i.e... place all your fuel categories under one Icon, then if you tap on a nearby 'say' Fuel Icon a Quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot Icon for more options & more Information

Setup... After installing your Personal or 3rd party POIs....Tap 4Dot (....Menu) --> Settings --> Appearance --> Show POI lists on the Map
    It says a restart is required, but I've never found it to be necessary
    After choosing the Generic Icon.. Tap the coloured (^) Icon screen top right... Pinch zoom the Map, the Generic POI Icons all appear live and working
    Note... The Generic POI Icons disappear when the Map is highly zoomed out, and reappear as you zoom in again
    I cant do a 10 or 20 point itinerary for a whole days pretty route riding and I can't get an itn file to copy to my wife and the rest of the families devices so they can use the same route or come back to a route next year
    You can plan a multi stop .ITN route
    (1)... On the device....
    (2)... Use a 3rd party route planner and transfer the .ITN route using a Micro SDHC Memory card
    (3)... Use the Tomtom MyDrive Web route planner...
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    The method I use... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1240916/#Comment_1240916

Here's my GO 520 with a 20 Stop .ITN Route
    8c666278-1cd1-4db4-a7a0-efd9c84c8858.jpg
    ATB YFM