Why do TomTom not offer a bespoke service?

OLLYOLSONOLLYOLSON Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 11 in Travel lounge
WHEN I PURCHASED A TOMTOM XXL IN 2013 I HAD COVERAGE OF WESTERN EUROPE AND SOUTHERN EUROPE. WHEN PURCHASING AN UPDATE IN 2015 I WAS INFORMED THAT THERE WAS INSUFFICIENT MEMORY AND I HAD TO CHOOSE BETWEEN WESTERN EUROPE AND SOUTHERN EUROPE.
I NO LONGER HAVE COVERAGE OF ITALY - A POPULAR HOLIDAY DESTINATION - BUT HAVE DENMARK AND THE ISLAND OF iRELAND WHICH I HAVE NEVER VISITED. WHY CAN'T I SELECT AN A LA CARTE MENU OF COUNTRIES - ALL ADJOINING? - PROVIDING I STAY WITHIN MY DEVICE'S MEMORY.
I WOULD HAPPILY SWAP IRELAND AND DENMARK (AND PERHAPS SOME OTHER COUNTRIES) IN EXCHANGE FOR ITALY.

Comments

• justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,094 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Can you imagine just how complex that would be for any map supplier, let alone TT, being able to offer a service as individual as that?
    How many countries times how many adjoining countries would seamlessly fit together in how many different memory sizes?

No, I can't see that ever being offered by any mapping company, at least not in our lifetime.

You could have purchased a "Europe" map & then downloaded/used a smaller zoned section of that map (& possibly even more that one zone subject to memory)
  • MvanAkenMvanAken Posts: 459 TomTom Employee
    The NDS format will allow navigation providers to offer services just like that and yes, it is complex, but not impossible.
  • RoSPA driverRoSPA driver Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This seems an eminently sensible suggestion to me and I can't see why just browsing thinks it's such a problem. I had an old Tom Tom for England & Wales and bought additional maps when I went abroad - all very simple, if expensive. I have have just upgraded and now have every country in new Europe included, which would be fantastic value if I wanted it, but the reality is that I'm never going to go anywhere near 90% of countries in question. This not only means it's a total waste of space on my device (and possibly my computer too?) - leaving very little room for anywhere else - but more particularly is clogging up the airwaves and (and presumably TomTom server time) whenever updates are downloaded.

Surely it would be better and quite simple for there to be a list of the included countries to be shown in My Account so that one can just select the ones one wants - in my case E&W and just two or three other countries. I gather one can now choose to exclude Russia to save space, so all I and OllyOlsen are suggesting is that we avoid unnecessary data storage by excluding most other countries too [unless and until actually required].

Drive safely
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Agree with @RoSPA driver. Mind you, the NDS maps definitely won't be available for those old models and not sure which ones will be able to handle it. I suppose if any, then only the ones since 2013 and not sure about all of those either (HW limitation and so).