Breadcrumb and pre-loaded trails

Ishi
Ishi Registered Users Posts: 34
Master Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi

Why can't this be provided to the older spark version as a software upgrade? Wouldn't the hardware support it?

Comments

• ASmugDill
    ASmugDill Registered Users Posts: 550
    Apprentice Traveler
    There is no convincing or objective reason why owners of older hardware models would be legally, commercially or morally entitled to the benefits of later improvements. Buying an electronic appliance for a one-off cost does not get anyone the entitlement of ongoing support until the end of the device's useful lifetime, or to the maximum capability of the hardware on hand. It's not as if you're paying TomTom a recurring subscription for service, maintenance and upkeep.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Ishi wrote:
    Hi

Why can't this be provided to the older spark version as a software upgrade? Wouldn't the hardware support it?

Besides the fact that businesses that give away the primary new features on their new watches away for free won't be in business for long (and while customer loyalty is a factor, how does one put a price on it versus the real cost of developing the new watches and software), it is not physically possible. The Trails feature requires a magnetic compass so that it can orient you on the trail, otherwise it would not know where to point you and the older version do not have this hardware. It is not possible through a software upgrade.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • jjjohannn
    jjjohannn Registered Users Posts: 11
    Master Explorer
    You know what will put TomTom out of business? These arrogant replies, if this is coming from TomTom. If its not from TomTom, I will just ignore it... Why not putting upgrades and features out as a paid options? I just use TomTom products and just bought 2 x Runner3's for me and my daughter. I like TomTom products, but their attitude sucks. I heard that TomTom sport watches are discontinued, but do you think I can get a reply, or somebody from TomTom that want to reply on this??? No ways. I also have a TomTom GPS that cannot update anymore???? Why don't you tell this to people before they buy??? What is the use of buying a product that can last 10 years but is useless after 5 years??? Because of this, I just convince a group of people in my Parkrun group to rather buy another brand. TomTom = Arrogance
  • jjjohannn
    jjjohannn Registered Users Posts: 11
    Master Explorer
    You know what will put TomTom out of business? These arrogant replies, if this is coming from TomTom. If its not from TomTom, I will just ignore it... Why not putting upgrades and features out as a paid options? I just use TomTom products and just bought 2 x Runner3's for me and my daughter. I like TomTom products, but their attitude sucks. I heard that TomTom sport watches are discontinued, but do you think I can get a reply, or somebody from TomTom that want to reply on this??? No ways. I also have a TomTom GPS that cannot update anymore???? Why don't you tell this to people before they buy??? What is the use of buying a product that can last 10 years but is useless after 5 years??? Because of this, I just convince a group of people in my Parkrun group to rather buy another brand. TomTom = Arrogance
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    jjjohannn wrote:
    No one on here is a TT employee and they are not going to comment or reply on a public forum, so fee free to ignore anything you read (plus you are responding to a closed post from over a year ago). Considering they publicly announced they were leaving the industry over six months ago, it is on you to do your homework. How would you expect them to tell you, phone everyone in the world and inform them? A simple Google search or a product review would have told you this. As to informing people to buy another brand, considering TT is no longer in the business, I doubt they much care. And as to lasting 10 years, I don't know what products you are buying but the expected useful life on most tech products (including sports watches) is 2-3 years. Garmin and Apple would not be able to stay in business if people help onto them for 10 years and technology develops at a far faster rate that that. !0 years ago sports watches were no more than glorified stopwatches as compared to today.