GO Mobile 1.4 for iPhone can't access contacts with 9-digit U.S. mailing address ZIP codes

MFHejjasMFHejjas Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Through trial-and-error I found out that the TomTom GO Mobile app for iPhone (version 1.4) will not access or show the iPhone user his or her contacts in which the mailing address(es) contain 9-digit U.S. ZIP codes (5-digit + 4-digit). Contacts that only contain 5-digit U.S. ZIP codes work as expected, and the user is allowed to select them as navigation destinations. So, for example, ZIP code "90405" works properly, but "90405-2020" does not. This has been a problem with the TomTom GO Mobile app since version 1.2, when support for iPhone contacts was first added. This was never a problem with the older TomTom App for iPhone, which was always able to handle contacts with 9-digit U.S. ZIP codes correctly (and still does to this day). I am disappointed that the TomTom software development team still has not resolved this issue, now 2 releases past when the feature was introduced. Note that the U.S. Postal Service recommends that everyone use the 9-digit ZIP postal code, a concept that was first introduced back in 1981. Since the majority of my iPhone contacts contain mailing addresses with 9-digit ZIP codes, and I usually use my contacts to retrieve destination addresses, I can not use the "new" TomTom GO Mobile app until this fault is fixed. Since I had purchased the previous TomTom app for use on the original iPhone, I was offered "3 years free" usage of the the new TomTom GO Mobile app. However, ~10 months have already gone by, and I still can't use it. The clock is ticking... My testing of this issue was performed on an iPhone 6 with 128 GB of storage, running iOS 10.1.1.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi MFHeijas,

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for reporting this! I'll forward it to the product team.

Have you tried can to normally navigate to a zip code with 9 digits?

I'd recommend you to get in touch with Customer Service regarding your subscription.

Thanks, Mikko
  • MFHejjasMFHejjas Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    In answer to Mikko's question, if I try to enter the destination address manually instead of selecting an iPhone contact entry, the Tom Tom Go Mobile app "guesses" the correct address by the time I've entered the 5th ZIP code digit. If I then type the "-" character, the app ignores it. However, if I follow that by typing a 6th ZIP digit (through the 9th digits), the app abandons the address it has guessed so far and declares "No addresses found"...
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi MFHeijas,

Thanks for coming back about this!

The product team is aware of this and they're looking into it. Unfortunately, at the moment I can't say when/whether we'll see an improvement to this. However, I'm announcing all updates here on the forum so stay tuned :D

Cheers, Mikko