Inaccurate data export to Strava — TomTom Community

Inaccurate data export to Strava

Gary WGary W Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
Why is it that every post regarding the fact that Tomtom does not export correctly to Strava has been removed? This is a pretty major flaw after all. Not trying to hide it are we Tomtom? We have 3 Tomtom watches (1 x Multisport and 2 x Runner 3) and a Garmin in the family. All 3 Tomtom watches show up short in Strava. They do record accurately and the distance is the same on the watch/Tomtom app as displayed by the Garmin on he same run, but while the Garmin data shows up accurately in Strava all the Tomtom watches always show up short, typically around 1-2 %. Sadly this makes them about as good as useless, so unless we get a solution I'm afraid all 3 watches will be winging their way back for a refund. Lovely watch, feels great and is really a joy to use, but as their sole purpose is to collect data, if the data can't be used what good are they? I'd say that was a pretty major flaw that needs an urgent fix, not sweeping under the carpet.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,528
    Superusers
    Gary W wrote:
    Why is it that every post regarding the fact that Tomtom does not export correctly to Strava has been removed? This is a pretty major flaw after all. Not trying to hide it are we Tomtom? We have 3 Tomtom watches (1 x Multisport and 2 x Runner 3) and a Garmin in the family. All 3 Tomtom watches show up short in Strava. They do record accurately and the distance is the same on the watch/Tomtom app as displayed by the Garmin on he same run, but while the Garmin data shows up accurately in Strava all the Tomtom watches always show up short, typically around 1-2 %. Sadly this makes them about as good as useless, so unless we get a solution I'm afraid all 3 watches will be winging their way back for a refund. Lovely watch, feels great and is really a joy to use, but as their sole purpose is to collect data, if the data can't be used what good are they? I'd say that was a pretty major flaw that needs an urgent fix, not sweeping under the carpet.

The issue is not with TT, it is with Strava. Every site or platform has a different way of handling the data it imports. Some take the data as is while others reprocess it and apply their own calculations and smoothing algorithms to it. This second instance will result in discrepancies between the watch and the site, causing issues like you are seeing. Strava has a deal with Garmin so their import algorithms actually are set to accept whatever the watch says if it is a Garmin device but to recalculate using their own algorithms if it is another device (the device name is actually buried in the data). I have brought it up before and TT is trying to get Strava to change they way they import the TT data but to no avail so far. Until Strava will import the data and not recalculate everything this will continue to be an issue. But it is really more of a Strava issue than a TT one.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • BriarBriar Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This helped me:
    - Go to Strava website
    - Select the activity that you want to correct
    - Below the distance of the activity select: Distance (?)
    - Select: Correct Distance

Hope this will help you as well!