Indoor cycling with Runner 3

Maaikefietstinvietnam
Maaikefietstinvietnam Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I really like my runner 3, one of the reasons i choose a tomtom is because it would have the opportunity to track indoor cycling. But my watch can't start indoor cycling. The third icon keeps flashing (the one right from the heart). I don't know how to turn that one off. I'm doing a lot of spinning but it is tracking it like I'm just in the indoor gym.... Not the same.....
How can i change this so that it can track my indoor cycling on a spinning bike?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    I really like my runner 3, one of the reasons i choose a tomtom is because it would have the opportunity to track indoor cycling. But my watch can't start indoor cycling. The third icon keeps flashing (the one right from the heart). I don't know how to turn that one off. I'm doing a lot of spinning but it is tracking it like I'm just in the indoor gym.... Not the same.....
    How can i change this so that it can track my indoor cycling on a spinning bike?

I assume you do not have a speed and cadence sensor on the bike (since spin bikes do not come with them)? In that case you need to go into Sensors>Bike and switch it to off so it will stop looking for a speed and cadence sensor. If you do have as sensor on the bike you need to make sure it is properly aligned, with the spoke sensor passing over the back of the battery pod, across the line right above where it says "Close" and within 2mm (you will need to tilt the pod in towards the spokes, it has to be real close). The pedal sensor passes over the back of the smaller pod, where the wire goes in, again within 2mm. The clearances have to be really close to sense it.

In indoor cycling without a sensor you are going to get duration, HR and calories based on HR. You obviously cannot get any distance or speed metrics as there is nothing on the bike to tell the watch how fast you are going. If you are on a spinning bike that tracks that you can always edit the activity in MySports afterwards and add the distance and speed for your records.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • csyrad70
    csyrad70 Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Traveler
    Hi,

I also wanted to know the answer to this question as I've just got a new turbo trainer. I've read all the replies bur even the gym mode doesn't work for me.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    The watch is not compatible with trainers, it will only sync with dual speed and cadence sensors, not trainers or power meters. If it was compatible you would need to go to the Settings menu under Sensors>Bike and turn it on. I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
    like this