TomTom Runner 2 Accurate heart rate and calories??

StewB
StewB Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hello.

Today I wore my watch playing golf now the gps and steps will be accurate but I have to think my watch is faulty for calorie reading??? I'm 5ft 7 and 13stone 33 years of age.

Results from GOLF are as follows..

Distance walked on free mode ....9.14km
Calories Burned .... 2663
BMP average 126
Duration 3 hours 57.

My Calories seem to be very high is this accurate.?? not exact I know but within reason of course?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,939
    Superuser
    StewB wrote:
    Hello.

Today I wore my watch playing golf now the gps and steps will be accurate but I have to think my watch is faulty for calorie reading??? I'm 5ft 7 and 13stone 33 years of age.

Results from GOLF are as follows..

Distance walked on free mode ....9.14km
    Calories Burned .... 2663
    BMP average 126
    Duration 3 hours 57.

My Calories seem to be very high is this accurate.?? not exact I know but within reason of course?

What mode did you do it in, since the watch does not have a golf mode? Calories burned will depend on the activity mode used. In running, cycling and swimming modes the watch is not using your HR to calculate caloric burn; it is using MET tables, which are tables of energy expenditure at various paces. They did it this way to enable users who are not using a HR monitor to get a caloric estimate (otherwise they would get a zero reading). Since MET tables are based on pace and distance, if you use it for a different activity the results will be inaccurate. It sounds like you used freestyle (free mode?) and that calculates calorie based on HR. At a 126 average BPM for 4 hours that may be accurate. The best way is to take the average HR and put it into an online calculator and see what it comes up with (also check the graph to make sure it had an accurate reading the whole time and was not spiking your HR). Here is a good one:

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml

It comes up with 2,690 based on the information you provided so the watch is accurate (a assuming the HR is accurate). It uses a standard HR based formula.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • largudir
    largudir Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Explorer
    hello, something similar happened to me, I used the free mode to perform a 6km walk resulting in 681 calories, I used runkepeer for the automatic calculation and they are 326 calories. Why when you edit an activity and choose hiking does not recalculate the calories automatically ?.