Strap replacement for SPARK cardio + HR, what is wrong with TOMTOM ?

fabian corlierfabian corlier Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
My strap ruptured after 6 months like for hundreds of customers, but then I was surprised wile facing a new annoying fact:
TOMTOM does not have any replacement straps at the moment ! They could not even tell when they would !
After another month I called again to have some information, and they offered to send me the only color they had (If you are subject to epilepsy say no). I said yes, and I really appreciate the fact that they even offered to send me a black strap when they are available. so another 10 days later I got the replacement strap ! (after sending all the info I have about my watch including invoice and serial number).
And here is the surprise : they sent me the wrong strap (probably for a runner3) !!! with all the information they have, they were able to send the wrong product ! :D
That's really hilarious but also very frustrating. the watch will stay in my pocket for another 2 months...
Bravo TOMTOM ! motivated but not quite fast. Honestly, they loose the race. I'll sell the strap (and maybe the whole thing ?) on eBay to compensate the waiting time and the countless hours spent here for nothing.

Comments

• dermbriandermbrian Posts: 95 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    My original strap broke today. I just ordered a new one [orange] from Amazon.com. Hopefully they've improved them. I sure expect years of life, not months.
  • dpelchatdpelchat Posts: 48 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Not sure if it's going to help but I've had my watch for 8 months now, using it daily and training 3 times a week, and I don't see any wear on my strap. I do wash the strap every workout and I don't remove the strap to charge the watch (every 5-6 days). I just squeeze the charger between the module and the strap.
  • fabian corlierfabian corlier Posts: 30 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    In any manufacturing process, what really counts in the quality assessment is not how many items did luckily make it past 6 or 12 months post purchase, but more the occurence of the defective items. I don't have numbers for TOMTOM, but companies that care for their image typically set a low threshold of acceptable defect frequency (below 1% or even less), others compensate with a good customer service (or both).
    But even if the defect rate was as hight as 10% there would still be 9 good experiences for every negative one, so the only thing I can reply to you dpelchat, is that you are obviously on the lucky side, but not sure it is helpful to assess the reliability of this model, as most users posting on the forum have a problem they wish to solve, so there is a bias anyways. But systematically reporting the problem is definitely a necessary feedback that should allow TT to run the stats.
    I'm also a little bitter towards TOMTOM because the strap from the SPARK3 is actually compatible with the SPARK so they could easily solve the problem with straps breaking and being really uncomfortable by just sending the improved version, instead of forcing the unlucky customer who got the defective strap to wear the most stupid colors because TOMTOM wants to get rid of the old versions.
  • xray79xray79 Posts: 160 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    In any manufacturing process, what really counts in the quality assessment is not how many items did luckily make it past 6 or 12 months post purchase, but more the occurence of the defective items. I don't have numbers for TOMTOM, but companies that care for their image typically set a low threshold of acceptable defect frequency (below 1% or even less), others compensate with a good customer service (or both).
    But even if the defect rate was as hight as 10% there would still be 9 good experiences for every negative one, so the only thing I can reply to you dpelchat, is that you are obviously on the lucky side, but not sure it is helpful to assess the reliability of this model, as most users posting on the forum have a problem they wish to solve, so there is a bias anyways. But systematically reporting the problem is definitely a necessary feedback that should allow TT to run the stats.
    I'm also a little bitter towards TOMTOM because the strap from the SPARK3 is actually compatible with the SPARK so they could easily solve the problem with straps breaking and being really uncomfortable by just sending the improved version, instead of forcing the unlucky customer who got the defective strap to wear the most stupid colors because TOMTOM wants to get rid of the old versions.

agreed that the straps seem to be a pain point. I have had mine replaced as well within 6-8 months. I was lucky as they had the black ones back then....
    But you were lucky TT made a mistake right the spark 3 strap is compatible with your spark, or is there another problem with the replacement strap?
    If what you say is true, then I've received something else than the runner3 strap , because it doesn't fit.
  • xray79xray79 Posts: 160 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    If what you say is true, then I've received something else than the runner3 strap , because it doesn't fit.
    Not sure, but to me this looks like an old strap for the multisport range.
  • TroyVSCTroyVSC Posts: 34 [Outstanding Explorer]
    TomTom is sending a brand new watch because my strap broke. I agree it's a bad design. Try contacting customer service and asking for an exchange. Because this is my second time so they even expedited everything.
  • FentardenFentarden Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This will be the 3rd I order in a year. I am pissed. How long did you have your first strap?
  • tonnyjoosttonnyjoost Posts: 55 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I´ve waited for one whole month now - for the TomTom Runner 3 replacement strap - it broke after only two days of using it....

I´m about to give up waiting - and now I can´t return the TT Runner 3 ? (because I´ve waited for the replacementstrap - that no one knows when arrives?)
    So some update here:
    to remind the context,
    1- my strap ruptured in September 2016 (after 6months normal usage) and I've tried to obtain a replacement which was not in stock anywhere (not even a payable option, at the time).
    2- So I accepted another color.
    3- they sent me a strap from an other antique model, not compatible with my watch ! :?
    4- they offered to send me a whole new wtach in a bright color, which I refused
    5- they proposed me the spark3 strap, I said yes
    6- the spark3 strap was not available neither !
    7- they promissed to send it as soon as available, but possibly as late as end of November
    8- It's December and I didn't hear back from tomtom so I called, and they informed me that the spark3 straps will not be there before January !!
    They again proposed to send a whole new watch (a spark1 whose strap will break after a couple months) I said no, obviously after waiting all this time..
    I'm currious to hear what excuse they will find next time to make me wait another year...
    If you are reading this before buying a sports watch, I am very serious, think twice ! go to Polar or Garmin !
    Heads up
    I made a thread about the customer support, which was deleted because it was "redundant" with my last post and might cause "confusion" amongst readers.
    But I can't change nor delete my last post, so ?
    Shouldn't I be allowed to access and delete anything I wrote, if I think it needs precision or just changed my mind? (even wen it has been more than 48ours ?)
    I, too, wish we could edit posts. Our cell phone typos live on forever.

I don't understand how TomTom can go weeks or longer without replacing straps. Why don't they procure replacements from a retailer and get them to their impacted customers? Can't their managers make that decision when appropriate?

Brian
  • jaumengjaumeng Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just pondering on why TomTom don't store up enough replacement straps:
    1- TomTom never expects that the strap is easily broken
    2 - Didn't expect consumers to buy TomTom watches

I ordered my straps from two different stores 3 weeks ago and I am still waiting ........
  • Nathan99Nathan99 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've just placed an order for another strap for my Spark. This is the 2nd strap I've had to order, I'm fed up with this!! Why don't Tom Tom do the decent thing and design a new strap that doesn't fracture after a few months.
    Nathan99 wrote:
    I've just placed an order for another strap for my Spark. This is the 2nd strap I've had to order, I'm fed up with this!! Why don't Tom Tom do the decent thing and design a new strap that doesn't fracture after a few months.

What strap is it ? the one from the Spark first generation or did you get a Spark3 replacement strap for your watch ? I have a Spark3 strap on my Spark 1st gen watch and It hasn't ruptured yet, after about 3 months. It seems to be a tad better than last design.

The question would actually be: "why do they keep sending a defective version knowing that the new one is better, and is compatible with older watches ?" Besides if TomTom was, and is no longer, out of stock for the older straps, that would mean they are even still producing the old (poorly designed) version ??
    So some update here:
    to remind the context,
    1- my strap ruptured in September 2016 (after 6months normal usage) and I've tried to obtain a replacement which was not in stock anywhere (not even a payable option, at the time).
    3- they sent me a strap from an other antique model, not compatible with my watch ! :?
    7- they promissed to send it as soon as available, but possibly as late as end of November
    8- It's December and I didn't hear back from tomtom so I called, and they informed me that the spark3 straps will not be there before January !!
    They again proposed to send a whole new watch (a spark1 whose strap will break after a couple months) I said no, obviously after waiting all this time..
    I'm currious to hear what excuse they will find next time to make me wait another year...
    If you are reading this before buying a sports watch, I am very serious, think twice ! go to Polar or Garmin !
    heads up !
    I did finally (at last) get the new strap in mid February ! after 6 months waiting time, 4 calls to customer support (CS), and a whole lot of unsatisfactory conversations with CS, and bad surprises such as the first replacement received which didn't even fit the watch.

The new design seems to get less breacky when exposed to UV and chlorinated water (swiming pools), so I have the hope that it may resist a little longer than the Spark 1 strap. The draw back is the way you secure the watch on the wrist, which pops open every time you touch something with the strap.

So, I confirm, the strap from the Spark3 does fit Spark watches. AND TomTom does not want you to have it.
  • Crash486Crash486 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    My first strap failed after 8 months, the replacement one failed today after 10 months. The replacement band lasted longer as I've another band I bought online , that I have been using to share the wear. Not great.:(
  • Crash486Crash486 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    TomTom have replaced my second broken band. This new band is of a different design to the original and appears of better quality. It definitely looks better. Thanks to TomTom for replacing it so quickly and thanks to the advice above about not having to remove the watch from the band to charge it. Hopefully it will last a lot longer now.
    Needing to buy (another) strap to replace (another) breaking strap for my Spark that I received on Christmas 2015. Notice the date at the top of this thread? TomTom and Amazon still do not have any large straps available. Maybe TomTom took my advice and started buying them from Amazon to fill warranty claims in a timely manner?

Not happy. The last time, I had to buy a gawdy orange one (looked great with my tuxedo on my cruise), but at least there were some.

Will this supply issue *ever* be fixed? I would like to wear my watch until its battery fails. But I can't wear it without a strap.

One other comment while I'm typing here.....suggesting that owners should contact TomTom by phone because their emails are ignored for weeks (or forever) is not productive. TomTom should respond to emails with the same urgency that they use to respond to phone calls. Speaking from a customer service background.............

Brian
    UPDATE: I ordered a Garmin Vivofit2. The Spark will go in a drawer and likely be used for its GPS ability only occasionally, when I can carry it in a pocket or mount it on my bicycle, since it's unwearable due to the chronic unavailability of replacement straps.
    UPDATE 2: Amazon USA has 7 of the large "aqua" color straps this morning. I bought one. Every other large band is still out of stock.

It looks like I'll be using my new Garmin Vivofit2 fitness band as my daily watch/step counter and my Spark only for fitness activities. Maybe this band will last longer in limited use.
  • PredragPredrag Posts: 19 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Agree because tomtom straps and selling support is awful
    So some update here:
    to remind the context,
    heads up !
    I did finally (at last) get the new strap in mid February ! after 6 months waiting time, 4 calls to customer support (CS), and a whole lot of unsatisfactory conversations with CS, and bad surprises such as the first replacement received which didn't even fit the watch.

The new design seems to get less breacky when exposed to UV and chlorinated water (swiming pools), so I have the hope that it may resist a little longer than the Spark 1 strap. The draw back is the way you secure the watch on the wrist, which pops open every time you touch something with the strap.

So, I confirm, the strap from the Spark3 does fit Spark watches. AND TomTom does not want you to have it.

Sorry, new heads up ! I updated this thread a month ago ! glad to have finally received a replacement strap, after going through the worst possible customer service you could imagine.
    Well guess what !
    The new strap broke after 3 months !
    Dear TomTom, I'm giving up, but don't feel bad, it's entirely my fault, I should have known this plastic trash isn't worth all my time and headache. It would have spared me quite a bit of frustration and pejorative writing.
  • dpelchatdpelchat Posts: 48 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    You might try with a replacement strap from the Adventurer. They seem to be built differently