Micro SD card experience (with solved issues)

basmeyerbasmeyer Posts: 22 [Prominent Wayfarer]
edited January 31 in Archived Discussions
I wanted to share my experience with the SanDisk Ultra microSDHC UHS-I Card, the 32 GB 48 MB/s model.

I bought this card because I had read that 32 GB was the maximum size that the GO 6200 could manage and it would be great to put all available world maps on it. Because I think they make great professional grade memory media I always tend to get SanDisk products. On top it was very reasonably priced (I bought mine for €12 in a store).

At first when I inserted the card straight from the package into the 6200 it neither did not recognise the card, nor could the the card be formatted...

Then I took the card to the Mac and did a DOE-compliant 3-pass security erase on it, I usually do this with new cards or cards that were used before prior to use them. Probably a single pass is just enough but it can never harm and it gives me a bit of an impression if the card is up for a new purpose.

After this the card was recognised properly (sigh of relief!) and could be formatted by the 6200. This went within seconds to my feeling and also the cards download very smooth and more quickly compared to older 4 GB Class 4 cards that I had tested.
The available space just after formatting was more than 31GB. After installing all available maps there was 19GB left, a fair amount of space for updates, and to keep the memory in good condition it is always good to have plenty of overhead space.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 32,972 Superusers
    Thanks for the feedback. Strange about how the card acted up in the device initially but glad you got it sorted.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,472 Superuser
    Thanks for your report. Were you able to put maps onto the card when your 6200's internal memory wasn't filled up? Has this finally been fixed on the newer firmware on the 6200?

(Sure would be nice if the 6100's get new updates but doesn't seem to be happening.)
  • basmeyerbasmeyer Posts: 22 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Yes, big,
    I was able to do this, so I suppose this is fixed compared to the 6100 model (which I did not own).
    You can choose between the two before you download.

Downloading of the bigger maps and map-updates with the 6200 goes pretty fast by the way. I have a very good WiFi network, I have to add.
  • seanash79seanash79 Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Glad I found this post. I took my SD card out my old 6000 and put it in the 6200 and it just wouldn't recognise it. I'll try doing what you did and see how I get on :)
    TomTom Go 6000

Maps: 9.33
    MyDrive: 3.3.0.1502
  • seanash79seanash79 Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Woo hoo formatting the card and then putting it in my 6200 worked a treat. Thanks basmeyer
    TomTom Go 6000

Maps: 9.33
    MyDrive: 3.3.0.1502
    Jolly nice... glad it helped you, seanash79
  • Nightrider_1ukNightrider_1uk Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Please could you tell us not so cleaver people how you did the DOE compliant 3 pass security erase on the card with a mac please
    With pleasure...
    Mind that the instructions below are entirely at your own risk, please be careful when dealing with this procedure.

Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, select the Micro SD card in the list of the left column. Make sure it is the right media volume, you are about to do an irreversible clean sweep to it - do not loose valuable data on another volume! Then select Erase, leave the Format on MS-DOS (FAT), assuming it was FAT already, otherwise select FAT*. Give the volume an applicable name, like TOMTOMxxGB where xx is the actual size. Select Security Options and put the slider on the 3rd notch, saying "DOE-compliant 3-pass secure erase". Click OK. Then Click Erase and confirm by clicking Erase again to start the procedure.

After this eject the volume in the left list in the Finder, or from the Desktop drag it in the Trashbin symbol. Wait like 10 seconds to finish the dismounting (some cards like more time than the OS allows). Now the card is tested to be up for the job and ready to use in your TomTom.

*) Some memory media may have been used for other purposes. It may be necessary to repartition the card and just checking its partition scheme is also not a bad idea. Then select the root instance of the card in the list of Disk Utility. It is the one that is most to the left and above the volume instance. Select Partition. Select under Partition Layout: 1 Partition. Then Options is no longer greyed out and select Options. Choose Master Boot Record as the partition scheme. Click OK. Click Apply. Confirm by clicking Partition. Ignore the name UNTITLED, you can enter a new name in the next process. Then the card is ready for the rest of the procedure, click Erase, and follow the instructions above.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online35

Jürgen
Jürgen
Surfarea
Surfarea
Swissi
Swissi
+32 Guests