Thoughts on the new TomTom Go 6200 & 5200? — TomTom Community

Thoughts on the new TomTom Go 6200 & 5200?

After previously owning a Go 5100 and being disappointed with the sluggish performance and constant crashing and update problems when connecting to a computer, i decided to return it to amazon where i purchased it.

I was all up for getting the new Go 5200 in the hope it would be a game changer because of the increased cpu performance, hands free calling, smartphone messages, updates via wifi, voice control with lifetime updates with maps, camera and traffic.

After reading posts by people who have actually got it and are having major problems with certain areas, hands free calling, voice control, and the 3D maps.

I am now on the fence to whether it would be better to go with another brand. As it seems to me not all the new features actually work properly and if i do buy it, will i be disappointed yet again. I have an iPhone 5s on iOS 10.0.2 so if anybody is using a iPhone with there one, any comments would be great.

I have been using a old Go 520 for years now and it has done every pretty well, still has the old menus but ive not had any actual complaints about it except it doesnt have the camera or traffic.

But my main reason for upgrading is the ability to use hands free, and get all the updates for free, wifi updates is also a good thing if it actually works.

Can people who already have it comment on this post so i can make an informed decision to whether or not i should buy it?

Thanks guys and girls :-)

Comments

• Covkid62Covkid62 Posts: 543 [Revered Navigator]
    Ive just bought the go6200 and overall it's a bit better than the previous versions although i have already found myself having to do a few reboots to sort little niggles out which for me were mainly speed camera's doing some weird things.
    As far as being quicker i would say it is much faster than my old go5000 but sometimes when waking from sleep it does seem a little slugish.
    Wifi is quite a good idea and works very well as i've managed to do a few updates using wifi and no problems at all...although it won't connect to 5g and only uses 2g but still seems quick enough.
    now for the let down bit...handsfree calling isn't the best quality and the times i've used it with road noise it can be difficult to hear what is being said.
    Reading aloud messages does seem a bit hit and miss too as sometimes when you press the read aloud button it on occasions doesn't work but when it does work you can understand what is being read out fine.
    Still think these new devices are over priced for what they are and still not as good as old nav3 devices and my main gripe is the lack of being to customise it like you could before with nav3 units.
    hope that helps a bit
  • TallorderTallorder Posts: 27 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Covkid62 wrote:
    Ive just bought the go6200 and overall it's a bit better than the previous versions although i have already found myself having to do a few reboots to sort little niggles out which for me were mainly speed camera's doing some weird things.
    As far as being quicker i would say it is much faster than my old go5000 but sometimes when waking from sleep it does seem a little slugish.
    Wifi is quite a good idea and works very well as i've managed to do a few updates using wifi and no problems at all...although it won't connect to 5g and only uses 2g but still seems quick enough.

now for the let down bit...handsfree calling isn't the best quality and the times i've used it with road noise it can be difficult to hear what is being said.
    Reading aloud messages does seem a bit hit and miss too as sometimes when you press the read aloud button it on occasions doesn't work but when it does work you can understand what is being read out fine.
    Still think these new devices are over priced for what they are and still not as good as old nav3 devices and my main gripe is the lack of being to customise it like you could before with nav3 units.
    hope that helps a bit

Thanks for your reply, the worst thing i hate about these so called TomTom top of the range devices, is there lack of functions, for such a high price item and also feel a lot of new features that dont work, should work really well for a flagship model. It does sound like the people who have purchased it are the real beta testers for the new device.

Seriously, before a device is released there should be some serious testing done. So that the new features work. It should not have been released on the assumption that, Perform a device reset and oh if it still doesnt work but we will fix it later, after people come into problems.

My tomtom go 520 that ive had for years, has never ever needed to be reset since ive owned it. I remember the 5100, i had to do countless resets because it kept crashing. Something i would not expect from a flagship model.

My definition of a flagship model is one that is head and shoulders above the rest. This new one is nothing new, but more headaches i can see.

Thats the general census im getting from TomTom.
    they are in fact one of the most expensive sat navs money can buy but like you said they never work as they should.
    After what i've paid for this device it should work straight out of the box without me having to do countless reboots to fix software glitches but it always seems to be the answer for tomtom and they think it's acceptable but I certainly don't.
    My go5000 was probably the worst sat nav i've ever had for bugs and faults although things did improve slowly over a 3 year beta testing program performed free by it's customers.
    I bought this new unit hoping to get away from all the constant reboots and factory resets and thought maybe tomtom had learned from previous mistakes but obviously not.....looks like another 3 years of beta testing with this one.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 629 Superuser
    Just to add my 2 pennies'-worth, I've had a Go 5200 since last week, been using it daily on my 60 mile commute, and have had no problems with it so far.

I can't comment on the 3D buildings (too far out in the sticks) or the hands-free calling (disabled, as the car already has that), but in terms of day-to-day running I can't really fault it. I previously had a Go 5000, and this is much slicker in terms of responsiveness. Menu commands and swiping are instantaneous vs. the lag experienced on the 5000, searching and plotting routes is far much quicker, and the pinch to zoom and dragging of the map is now on a par with that you get from Google maps on your PC.

I've paired it up with my iPhone 5 for text messaging, which has worked every time, and had no problems with updates over WiFi. In my opinion the lack of 5GHz is a non-issue... it's for downloading updates from a bandwidth-throttled connection to TomTom, not streaming 4K video from a Netflix server :) - I seriously doubt the lack of 5GHz to the router's holding things back.

As for the price... yes it is expensive. Although that said, you're not just paying for the physical hardware. You're also paying for access to regularly updated maps, not to mention proprietary route planning algorithms and traffic information... both of which are generally regarded as the best in the market (well... maybe not recently judging by the forums, but hopefully that will soon be fixed).

That all said though, if I still had a functioning Go 5000 (long story...) I might struggle to justify the £300. Depends on how much you value the extra features and responsiveness I guess.
  • StomStomStomStom Posts: 630 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Don't have it and won't. So: sorry for that.
    Only pro left for standalone tom seems to be vertical screen size.
    Mobile App (android in my case) is faster, has the same functionality, and is only 44 euro for 3 years.
    They play a waiting game with adding functions, just to consolidate their price point.
    Next thing they will tell you need a new tom for your categorized pois.
    Has anyone had the opportunity to use the hands free side of the sat nav? Im particulary interested in that aspect.
    Hi Tallorder,

yeah i've used the hands free on my go6200 and to be totally honest the quality isn't that good especially when you have a lot of road noise so sometimes it's a bit hard to hear what the person you are talking to is saying and it does sound a little tinny so more volume and a bit of bass would sort it out....hope that helps
    Covkid62 wrote:
    Hi Tallorder,

yeah i've used the hands free on my go6200 and to be totally honest the quality isn't that good especially when you have a lot of road noise so sometimes it's a bit hard to hear what the person you are talking to is saying and it does sound a little tinny so more volume and a bit of bass would sort it out....hope that helps

Its like TomTom are only doing tiny improvements, im disappointed they have not put effort into making this new one a much better device considering all the issues the 5000 and 51000 had. So maybe the next version will have everything working in it. Having a slimmer sat nav should not have an adverse affect on the quality of speaker and how it should sound. They should have kept the same size as the previous version if they could not have the same sound quality, remember this is the flagship model apparently.
  • Shads71Shads71 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Sorry, I mean 6200
  • basmeyerbasmeyer Posts: 22 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Its hands free/voice command function is indeed of quality that is subject to 'a bit of improvement' in order to make it really practical to use in real life. In my Corsa diesel the error rate when you are driving is definitely above 90% and that means that it is impossible to use when you are e.g. on the highway. It even engages by itself sometimes, offering suggestions like to delete the current route when you just need the satnav the most.
    And when standing still with the engine turned off the error rate is still around and mostly above 50%, rendering it useless if you are in a hurry. It is a nice gadget-like feature to show off to passengers (and then of course hope that it will work when you want it to work).
    Other than that (to continue in a new reply because I could not edit this reply, sorry) I want to mention that I am very happy with this TomTom. It is my first Tommy, I have to add, and some years ago I did not want a TomTom because of the daft operation and ugly graphics. This compared to iGO which I used for almost a decade. But things got improved a lot, and it all looks very slick and operating it is very logical and simple. No unclear settings, no manual needed. In short, I love it.
    There are tiny things that I struggle with, like I sometimes have troubles find a restaurant near my position.
    But updating works great, traffic interaction is perfect.

Some improvements/feature request/wishes could be:
    - Separate bluetooth calling and messages. I like to use the in-car handsfree function and do not want TomTom to handle the calls, but DO like to see notification of text messages on it.
    - Lower minimum brightness setting for nighttime use, mentioned in another thread.
    - Sun visor accessory that is dedicated for the model and so with a perfectly fit.
    - An extra setting besides the "Most eco-friendly route". This setting does not work for me and I wonder what TomTom's thoughts were with this. It makes you drive on the paralel roads next to the main road were another maximum speed applies, thus saving fuel this way. So instead of driving on a 80 km/h road you are driving on the 60 km/h road that is next to were you want to drive. That is not practical, and I doubt in some cases if this is even more ecological, because of the less constant speed.
    The eco-friendly setting that I would like to see allows significantly shorter routes, compared to the fastest route, with just little extra trip time as a tradeoff. I had this setting on in iGO and I used it mostly. It is besides environment-friendly also great for holidays or when you are not so much in a hurry.
    basmeyer wrote:
    Other than that (to continue in a new reply because I could not edit this reply, sorry) I want to mention that I am very happy with this TomTom. It is my first Tommy, I have to add, and some years ago I did not want a TomTom because of the daft operation and ugly graphics. This compared to iGO which I used for almost a decade. But things got improved a lot, and it all looks very slick and operating it is very logical and simple. No unclear settings, no manual needed. In short, I love it.
    There are tiny things that I struggle with, like I sometimes have troubles find a restaurant near my position.
    But updating works great, traffic interaction is perfect.

Some improvements/feature request/wishes could be:
    - Separate bluetooth calling and messages. I like to use the in-car handsfree function and do not want TomTom to handle the calls, but DO like to see notification of text messages on it.
    - Lower minimum brightness setting for nighttime use, mentioned in another thread.
    - Sun visor accessory that is dedicated for the model and so with a perfectly fit.
    - An extra setting besides the "Most eco-friendly route". This setting does not work for me and I wonder what TomTom's thoughts were with this. It makes you drive on the paralel roads next to the main road were another maximum speed applies, thus saving fuel this way. So instead of driving on a 80 km/h road you are driving on the 60 km/h road that is next to were you want to drive. That is not practical, and I doubt in some cases if this is even more ecological, because of the less constant speed.
    The eco-friendly setting that I would like to see allows significantly shorter routes, compared to the fastest route, with just little extra trip time as a tradeoff. I had this setting on in iGO and I used it mostly. It is besides environment-friendly also great for holidays or when you are not so much in a hurry.

Hi, so the incar hands free only works by voice activation from the tomtom? This is not how i thought it operated, i thought you link up by bluetooth and the calling part could be done through the phone and use the tomtom as the speaker and microphone or just use the tomtom without having to use voice activated for everything, like the older models operated especially when it doesnt work. Surely having to use tomtom to handle all the calling via voice activation is not a great idea. It could have been done better than this. I do like the idea of the messages coming up and being read out.

I have doubts about the quality of the speaker and microphone, from reading your post, i think tomtom have opted for a thinner body and sacrificed the good sound quality on previous models.
    Hello, I was maybe not clear for you. The in-car handsfree is something separate from TomTom and works great, wonderful sound with phone calls, both ways. With the 6200, calling is much less quality. For me I woud never use the handsfree functionality, I usually drive in vehicles with a considerate amount of (diesel) engine noise. When you are in a very quite car it might work allright of course.
    The connection from the 6200 trough the iPhone's bluetooth to it's Siri can be nice, if you need someone to talk to on long journeys. :8 :$

Regarding the speaker and the indeed less thick body, the speaker's of the 6200 for instructions is fairly good. I had much worse sound with satnavs in the past. So I think TomTom did a good job with the design and still have natural sound quality that is definitely sounding thin.

The body itself is, at least from the outside, is completely plastic. At first I had my thoughts with this but of course it has some benefits too. It is very light and still looks and feels high quality.
    basmeyer wrote:
    ... that is definitely sounding thin.

Excuse me, of course I meant NOT sounding thin.

I did not mention it before but the graphics of the screen is very good. Movement of the 3D map is VERY smooth. There is not so much zooming at crossroads, I did not like that so much with previous models/software versions. It could not be better, great job, TomTom.
    basmeyer wrote:
    basmeyer wrote:
    ... that is definitely sounding thin.

Excuse me, of course I meant NOT sounding thin.

I did not mention it before but the graphics of the screen is very good. Movement of the 3D map is VERY smooth. There is not so much zooming at crossroads, I did not like that so much with previous models/software versions. It could not be better, great job, TomTom.

Ive taken the plunge and ordered the 5200 from amazon, they were doing a really good price, only £249.99. Thanks for everyone's comments. This version is definitely an upgrade from the previous version. Many more features plus the added bonus they have upgraded the cpu and memory.

Whereas the 5000/5100 were basically the same device but the later one had lifetime everything using an outdated cpu that couldnt cope.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,569 Superuser
    Tallorder wrote:
    Whereas the 5000/5100 were basically the same device but the later one had lifetime everything using an outdated cpu that couldnt cope.
    And it appears the 5000/5100 are no longer receiving software updates.
    Ive changed mine, instead of the 5200, ive opted for the 6200, the size comparison from the 5100, last years model is pretty much the same size and only just a tad taller because of the slimmer case design. Plus getting the bigger 6" screen and with the phone message pop up with having the smaller 5 inch screen would make it even smaller.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    big wrote:
    And it appears the 5000/5100 are no longer receiving software updates.
    Don't worry! There will be updates for the previous GO range as well :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • TweetiepoohTweetiepooh Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello all,

My first posting here as a new TomTom user after using Garmin for years. I was using the Garmin nuLink 2390 which was a super little unit but Garmin started to lose features, Google search -> Here (not so good), Petrol prices dropped and now the whole nuLink from Satnav gone and I don't have a smart phone.

I have just got a 5200 from Halfords but their offer ended on Weds so price is now back up to £299 and Amazon don't have any at time of writing.

First thoughts:
    The mount is too high. I mount on the dash on a weighted "pillow".
    Organising POI's is less good. So for example I have the POI for all my companies sites split by region. On Garmin I could organise into Company then Region.
    Maps are wrong colour - motorways should be blue
    Less choice of TTS voices - I liked Australian Karen.

OK many of these are picky and I need to use the unit more to see how it works for what it really needs to do, telling me where to go and avoiding the traffic. I am hoping it will work out that on my commute to work not to use the motorway as it is much longer and less pleasant even if faster. The Garmin learned to route me across country as that's the way I drive each time I go barring road closures.

I'm finding the MyDrive site a bit of a pain, generally it's OK but there doesn't seem to be a way of making minor adjustments to POI's (e.g drag it 100m down the road to the real road entrance.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Tweetiepooh,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your feedback!

You might try the Dashboard Discs. They could suit your car better than the bean bag.

There was a limited amount of voices available at launch but more are now available from Customer Service.

For more information and troubleshooting tips for MyDrive, please see this FAQ.

Please, post back here if you have more questions.

Cheers, Mikko
  • leebroath1976leebroath1976 Posts: 46 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Adding my bit having just purchased the 5200

Looks all good and attached to my wifi with absolutely no problems, won't find a 5ghz but will on 2.4ghz

Went through some of the menus and changed a few things and added some fav places all done seamlessly, not as much selections which I had on my 1005 but I honestly never used them all anyway

I previously had the camper 1005 which I was using because I had previously returned my other last new device because of the stupid idea of having it connect to a mobile phone for traffic.....who's dum idea was that? For someone that lives in Scotland and having to travel around hills to get to places, and losing signal on mobile, this was such a bad idea.

Anyway....having learnt that the 5200 now has a built in sim and no longer requires a mobile phone then it was an immediate purchase.

Yet to go out in the car for the true test, but at the moment it's looking very good, I firmly believe Tomtom has now actually listened to customers feedback and presented a truly great device
    If your phone loses a signal on those hills so will the 5200 with its built-in SIM. Your phone probably will work in MORE places since the phone built in to the device is 2G only whereas your own phone likely can also access additional bands.
  • leebroath1976leebroath1976 Posts: 46 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Ok I was under the impression the 5200 acts just like the 1005

But now you mention it, if it is using waves from (Vodaphone I think it uses) then yes it probably will lose contact, it need to test first...if it does lose signal for X period then it's being returned

Why did they not just use the satellites like they did back in the 1005 days
  • Tallorder24Tallorder24 Posts: 52 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    big wrote:
    If your phone loses a signal on those hills so will the 5200 with its built-in SIM. Your phone probably will work in MORE places since the phone built in to the device is 2G only whereas your own phone likely can also access additional bands.

Do you think it better with a Go 520 or 620 because it will use all 2g, 3g and 4g from the connected phone, rather than having one of the Go 6200 or 5200 that only have a 2g sim card in it? as in it will loose connection less?
    The 5200 and the 1005 are similar as far as the maps are concerned. They both use the GPS satellite system to figure out where you are. That's not what the phone is used for.

The phone/SIM card is used for traffic information. The 1005 I'm pretty sure used another system for traffic called RDS/TMC which uses signals piggybacked on radio station transmissions. Those stations were primarily in more densely populated areas. There's no question the phone and/or built-in SIM provides better traffic information.