TT reboots Samsung S7 (v6) just after startup - very serious — TomTom Community

TT reboots Samsung S7 (v6) just after startup - very serious

peter-hpeter-h Posts: 30 [Outstanding Explorer]
TT worked on the S7 for some months (after the initial issues with the database, discussed in other threads here).

But yesterday I started it and after a minute or two the phone hung solid. I used the hard reboot (power and volume down at the same time for a while) and that restarted it, but after a minute or two it hung again.

Then I realised that android reloads all previously running apps at startup - even after a restart or power off - so next time I restarted I went right away into the apps list (bottom left button) and killed GO. That solved it.

Then an update (6.4GB) appeared so I downloaded that, hoping it was a fix for an issue reported by others.

But it still does the same. It is completely useless.

Interestingly it doesn't crash right away but freezes (sometimes reboots) the phone after a minute or two. And it does it even if not the foreground running app.

It is very serious because when it first happened I was not able to do anything with the phone. It took several hard restarts before the phone showed the app screen etc.

I still have the older S6 on which TT always worked fine. Also bluetooth works properly on the S6 with my car kit - see my other thread on that, and TT has no solution for that. If I use the S7 for satnav I have to turn off bluetooth and use the built-in phone speaker! TT acked that bug but have no fix.

Google Maps works fine but needs a constant internet connection which one doesn't have in most of UK countryside. I might move to Sygic... The best satnav I ever had was Nokia Maps on the 808 but that is now gone.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, this is a known issue. We're working hard to find a solution as soon as possible. Meanwhile, turning your phone to flight mode and back helps to overcome this issue in some cases. The following has also helped many to solve this:
    • In the phone, go to Settings > Apps > GO > Storage and tap Clear data
    • The start it again and download the map
    • Once downloaded the map, do not enable MyDrive sync
    • If existing, delete the folder /Android/data/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp from the SD-card
    • If existing, delete the folder /Android/obb/com.tomtom.gplay.navapp from the SD-card

I'll post back here as soon as I have further news about this issue.

Cheers, Mikko
  • peter-hpeter-h Posts: 30 [Outstanding Explorer]
    What is Mydrive?

TT does not offer the option of where to install it (internal ot ExtSD).
    Hi Peter,

MyDrive is a cloud service you can use to plan routes and sync destinations from you computer to the GO Mobile. You can also use it to backup your My Places. For more information, please see here [user manual] and here [FAQ - What is MyDrive and how to use it?].

The GO Mobile is automatically installed to the location with more free space. Please, see the FAQ below for more information.

Downloading a map to a memory card (GO Mobile app)

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi Peter,

I got another tip for this issue and amended my previous post. Turning your phone to flight mode and back helps to overcome this issue in some cases.

Cheers, Mikko
    I would rather wait for a proper fix. Android apps are sandboxed and for the most part are not able to crash the device so thoroughly and comprehensively. I reckon I got close to losing the whole phone, looking at having to hard-restart it several times.

I will either use the S6 or use Google Maps, until this is officially resolved.

The S7 is hardly a rare phone. Samsung sold something like 10 million of them on the first few weeks after launch and, alongside the top IOS model, it is the top phone on the market today. So developers have no excuse whatever.
    Any update on this topic?

I cannot use TT on the Samsung S7 phone. It crashes, gets hot, and has to be hard-rebooted several times to get out of that state.

I am sure if TT had to do part-refunds to people who cannot use the app, they would fix it a lot sooner. Currently, google maps is eating their lunch pretty well.
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for coming back about this!

Unfortunately, the issue seems to be complicated and we can't promise a quick fix. If you already haven't, I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service about this to make sure you've done all the available troubleshooting.

Cheers, Mikko
    Well, it gets worse!

After some OTA OS and app updates which arrived several days ago, the phone would not work for more than a few hours before rebooting or, much worse still, crashing and freezing solid, and requiring the pwr+vol-down hard reboot.

Guess what solved it?

Removing Tomtom!

So TT hooks itself into the OS somehow even when it is not running! Even when not in the tasks list, something is running.

I removed it, cleaned up the directories as per previous instructions, and reinstalled, and it got worse. Reboots within a minute of the phone starting.

So I removed it totally.

TT must be snowed under, with some 10-20 million S7s sold since March 2017.
    Hi Peter,

I'm sorry to hear the issue persists! To my knowledge this is not particular to any phone model. I'd recommend you to get in touch with Customer Service about this as we can't help you further here on the forum.

Cheers, Mikko
    There is no support. This is an online-purchased app. There is some response to emails, day or weeks later, with boilerplate replies.

You need to fix this app so it works.

I have installed Sygic. I also tried Here Maps (what used to be the excellent Nokia Maps satnav app on Symbian) but they don't have speed cameras. Sygic and Here implement lots of things which TT should learn from, starting with a very obvious and explicit user selection for Internal v. External (SD card) storage! TT does it automatically according to where there is more room, which is dreadful for any intelligent user.
  • YembleYemble Posts: 42 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    peter-h wrote:
    There is no support. This is an online-purchased app. There is some response to emails, day or weeks later, with boilerplate replies.

You need to fix this app so it works.

I have installed Sygic. I also tried Here Maps (what used to be the excellent Nokia Maps satnav app on Symbian) but they don't have speed cameras. Sygic and Here implement lots of things which TT should learn from, starting with a very obvious and explicit user selection for Internal v. External (SD card) storage! TT does it automatically according to where there is more room, which is dreadful for any intelligent user.

I don't trust TT on any extSD (never have), so I always eject the SD prior to installing or upgrading TT and also when downloading maps. This forces TT to install all of its components onto the internal device memory.

As a consequence, I have not experienced any serious issues with any version of TT Go Mobile on any of my devices running various flavours of Android (4/5/6).
    The issue with that is that you lose about 8GB from your internal memory, which is a huge chunk, given that a typical "32GB" phone has maybe 15GB free space, without any photos or movies stored.

One "16GB" android 4.4.2 device I have (Samsung T705) has 9GB free space.

Also there is no technical reason for an app to not work with an SD card. The whole app can be internal flash resident for performance and store the maps only on the SD card. That is what Sygic does, more or less, AFAICT.
  • YembleYemble Posts: 42 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    peter-h wrote:
    The issue with that is that you lose about 8GB from your internal memory, which is a huge chunk, given that a typical "32GB" phone has maybe 15GB free space, without any photos or movies stored.

One "16GB" android 4.4.2 device I have (Samsung T705) has 9GB free space.

Also there is no technical reason for an app to not work with an SD card. The whole app can be internal flash resident for performance and store the maps only on the SD card. That is what Sygic does, more or less, AFAICT.

I know, but I'm not the one having issues, either now, or previously :8 The way that I compensate for TT grabbing device memory, is to shunt other data hogs onto my 200Gb extSD, like other mapping apps, MP3s, etc. My current devices are typically 32Gb, Moto X Force, Galaxy Note Pro, but I have also run TT Go Mobile on 16Gb devices such as Galaxy S3. With careful memory management TT can reside harmoneously with other apps in device memory.
    Has there been any fix for this android 6 / samsung s7 issue?

I have TT running fine on the S7 phone (android 5). I had to move to Sygic on the S7, which is fine (better than TT in many respects especially configurability) but it's a pity to have to pay two subs.
    Hi Peter,

I'm sorry to hear the issue persists!

We've been working hard on solving this. Unfortunately, there are various causes to this and we haven't yet been able to fix them all.

If you already haven't, I'd recommend you to report this to Customer Service or update your case if you already haven't. Any further information about this would help the team investigating the issue. Customer Service can best gather the required details and forward them to the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
    Sorry, but let me get this right, Mikko. You work for TomTom and you are asking me to contact Customer Service so they can contact the Product Team!

I think you have too many people working for you and 50% are not talking to the other 50% - which is how you can bring out a program which doesn't work on one of the two most popular phones (the other is the latest Iphone) and nobody in your company seems to realise that this is a PROBLEM.

Like I said I have moved to Sygic for the Samsung S7 which does work fine.
    Hi Peter,

This is a user forum where users can help each other. While the forum Staff, like myself, as well as some other TomTom Employees monitor and post on the forum as well as report feedback to the rest of the business, Customer Service is best equipped and trained to gather the relevant details of a particular issue and forward the relevant team for further investigation.

This being said, I have logged your feedback to be reported to the product team :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    Peter H:

You can certainly use Google Maps without Internet connection.
    Just download offline maps snd you're good to go :)

I use Google Maps more and more with Navmeter - Unfortunately for Tomtom...