Eircode the Irish post code for TomTom maps

the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
edited January 30 in Map quality
Not sure if this is the right location for this but here goes.

There has been several threads about Eircode. Now Google Maps are using it and it is working. As they are now using it, any chance we can see it come to TomTom maps

Goto Google Maps and put in H91 F5PP that is my code

Comments

• GarfieldusGarfieldus Posts: 35 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Can a TT rep please contribute to this thread?
    WOW, 19 days ago I asked for a TT rep to contribute and nothing.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can get the attention of a TT rep?
  • dhndhn Posts: 32,890 [Superusers]
    I will for you. Check back.
  • RobbiebotRobbiebot Posts: 197 [TomTom Employee]
    Hi Garfieldus,

My apologies for the silence on this topic.

In short, they have been implemented into our specifications within the last few months, but I'm am still trying to gather more information on whether or not they will be a directly searchable feature, and if so, when will this be usable.

The person in charge of this region specific feature had also changed recently, so I'm still trying to get the information I need.

Again, I'm sorry for not having complete, and prompt answers for this topic at this time.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
    Ok, thank you Robbie.

Do I need to come back to this thread and ask for updates or will you update it?
    Hi Garfieldus,

I will be sure to update the thread with any new information that might come up.

Cheers,
    Robbie
    Robbie, you said 15 days ago....

In short, they have been implemented into our specifications within the last few months, but I'm am still trying to gather more information on whether or not they will be a directly searchable feature, and if so, when will this be usable.

Can I ask...

have you actually asked someone this question?
    did you ask 15 days ago?

If the answer to both of the questions above is "Yes", can I further ask how long does it usually take to get an answer from this person?
    Hi Garfieldus,

It is not quite that simple, and despite my best efforts, I have not gotten any more insight into this topic than I've already shared.

According to most of the internal sources I've asked, we do indeed support the feature, but more insight as to why it is not view-able on MyDrive is something I've reached out on, but not yet gotten an enlightening response to.

Regards,
    Robbie
    Ok Robbie, thank you for your input and efforts, I appreciate it.

Regards,
    Gary
    I noticed something interesting yesterday. I was searching for an address on my go 5000 (with the latest European maps) and noticed in the search results at the end of the address it showed part of the Eircode!!!

For example if you search for "5 main street naas" you will notice "W91" at the end of the search result. "W91" is the first part of that address's Eircode.

An Eircode is seven character alpha-numeric code made up of two parts.
    The first part (a Routing Key) consists of three characters and defines a principal post town span of delivery.
    The second part (a Unique Identifier) is unique to an address and distinguishes one address from another.

It seems that there has indeed been some work done.

Some, but not all, Routing keys are searchable (eg search for "W91" or the OPs "H91" and they will be found.
    Obviously its still useless but its encouraging to see that something is happening.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,187 [Superusers]
    Hi
    It's been quite a while ago... But I remember Tomtom removing the Eircode the Irish post code from their devices, as far as I recall there was a conflict of Copy-write or Licencing... Something along those lines

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    It's been quite a while ago... But I remember Tomtom removing the Eircode the Irish post code from their devices, as far as I recall there was a conflict of Copy-write or Licencing... Something along those lines

ATB YFM

I certainly hope not and suspect you are confusing the Eircode system with GoCodes.

Your comments here might suggest that...

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-quality-75/eircodes-support-987210
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 13,187 [Superusers]
    Hi
    Good find... I knew it was a while ago, but not that long ago :)

ATB YFM
    @Robbiebot and/or @MikkoK

Can either of you comment on my post above that starts.... "I noticed something interesting yesterday"
    Hi Garfieldus,

I know it has been frustrating to wait on an official conclusion, but as was suggested by my previous last reply, we do indeed have the feature in our data, and the fact that it is not searchable is a question that our engineers are trying to answer.

These kinds of things are often complicated and time consuming, as TomTom provides maps on several platforms and devices, any feature that is unique and exclusive to a specific region requires a lot of consideration, which can prove difficult. In this case, it is not a question of if and when it will be supported, but more why it is not searchable. In practice, it should be.

Again, thanks for your patience as we try to resolve this issue, and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,
    Robbie
  • owlerowler Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a Renault Megane with TT fitted as OE.
    I recently updated my TT and was pleased to find I could now enter Eircode .
    Although I could enter these the actual address found is nowhere near the area the Eircode is for eg. inputed an Eircode for Kilteel in Co Kildare but showed me an area near Navan in Co Meath.
    Can we expect this to be precise in the near future?
  • argentum08argentum08 Posts: 57 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    That sounds consistent with something that TomTom has done to the “Billing Address” details in an account I have for an old Nav 2 device that I still keep up to date as a backup device.
    Sometime during the past year, my country has been mysteriously changed from “Republic of Ireland” to “United Kingdom”, and an Eircode has been inserted – for an address 33 houses away!
    Neither I nor TomTom’s Customer care staff have been able to correct it.
    Doesn’t inspire much confidence.....
    I too have updated my maps to V995.8490 and Eircodes are not working.

@owler When I enter the Eircode for DÁIL Éireann (D02A272) I get "No address found". What do you get?

What map version are you using?

Incidentally @owler are you aware that a mobile number is showing publicly in your profile?
  • David-JDavid-J Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I'm new to the TomTom family, having upgraded from my old (other brand) SatNav.

I was disappointed that I could not enter my own address on my new device when I got it (incorrect name of road) but I was pleased to see the Eircodes were showing up straight away on my device - FULL Eircodes.

However, I'm very disappointed now that I see ALL Eircodes are WRONG!!!

My own is showing up totally different to the correct one and every one I've tried (friends/family) are also completely wrong.
    The first 3 characters are correct (routing key) but the rest are totally incorrect.

As a bus driver (who has private hire jobs every day) I NEED the Eircodes to work as sometimes that's the ONLY part of the addresses my clients give me. I've ended up using my phone to check the addresses on Google and HERE maps and then had to re-enter the correct details on my *new* TomTom.

Please correct this - it is VERY BAD that the Eircodes are assigned to the wrong addresses on TomTom devices . . .
  • CatNipCatNip Posts: 477 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I still wish TomTom had put some umph! into promoting their own Mapcodes system.

If I understand right, the entry models with the current TomTom system no longer even give user support for Mapcodes. In which case as AFAIK nobody else seems to use them - most people have never heard of them - I can see them fading away in future. Leaving everyone to continually reinvent the wheel.

What a waste!

http://www.mapcode.com

Hah! just put Eircode H91 F5PP (as per OP) into the RoI Map on Mapcode and got the same result as Google Maps! So even Mapcode appears to currently support Eircodes. :)

So at least means, given an Eircode, you can go:

Eircode --> Mapcode

the-civvie wrote:
    Not sure if this is the right location for this but here goes.

There has been several threads about Eircode. Now Google Maps are using it and it is working. As they are now using it, any chance we can see it come to TomTom maps

Goto Google Maps and put in H91 F5PP that is my code

The above post was made a year ago. Google maps is making the likes of TomTom and Garmin irrelevant.
    David-J wrote:
    Hi, I'm new to the TomTom family, having upgraded from my old (other brand) SatNav.

I was disappointed that I could not enter my own address on my new device when I got it (incorrect name of road) but I was pleased to see the Eircodes were showing up straight away on my device - FULL Eircodes.

However, I'm very disappointed now that I see ALL Eircodes are WRONG!!!

My own is showing up totally different to the correct one and every one I've tried (friends/family) are also completely wrong.
    The first 3 characters are correct (routing key) but the rest are totally incorrect.

As a bus driver (who has private hire jobs every day) I NEED the Eircodes to work as sometimes that's the ONLY part of the addresses my clients give me. I've ended up using my phone to check the addresses on Google and HERE maps and then had to re-enter the correct details on my *new* TomTom.

Please correct this - it is VERY BAD that the Eircodes are assigned to the wrong addresses on TomTom devices . . .

David-J, can I ask what map version are you using?

I'm using v995.8490 Released 7/17 and in terms of Eircode, all I can search for is the routing code.

Unfortunately, you will get no satisfaction from this forum regarding Eircodes, except being told that it's frustrating. See my last queries in this thread and how long I'm waiting for an answer.
  • castromdcastromd Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    The suggestion above for Mapcode is a good one, but the solution I use is to search for the place I'm going to (by address, name or Eircode) in the mobile Google Maps app, that will show me the result of the exact location I'm looking for. Then I would tap on the map right next to the marked search result (on the street in front of the place for example), this will drop a pin on an unmarked place, and on the top search box it will populate that with the coordinates. I then type in those coordinates into my car's TomTom device and navigate.
    Eircodes are important to me and at this stage what I'm doing is....

Two apps are required, Autoaddress and MyDrive.

In Autoaddress I type either the Eircode, the address or the business/company name.

When it's found, choose "Directions", choose "MyDrive" and when the location displays in MyDrive tap the ... and choose to send the location to the device.

Your device will announce "You have received a new location" and will route you there without any further input.

This works with a G05000 and Go6200.
  • castromdcastromd Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Garfieldus wrote:
    Eircodes are important to me and at this stage what I'm doing is....

Two apps are required, Autoaddress and MyDrive.

In Autoaddress I type either the Eircode, the address or the business/company name.

When it's found, choose "Directions", choose "MyDrive" and when the location displays in MyDrive tap the ... and choose to send the location to the device.

Your device will announce "You have received a new location" and will route you there without any further input.

This works with a G05000 and Go6200.

That's a good solution too! I think think MyDrive can talk to my car's built-in Nav system though...