Battery Life on the wifi range when installing updates

GOLLIWOGGOLLIWOG Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
edited January 12 in Archived Discussions
Much hype about the wifi capabilities of the new models, but battery life reduced to 1 hour. Now, having spent some time with my GO 5000 tethered to my PC whilst waiting for a new map and other updates to download and be processed onto my device, I was wondering whether 1 hour of battery life would be sufficient.

Does anyone know if the download and processing speeds have been improved in parallel with the development of these new models? Because if it hasn't, then I can see the new models being reduced to being connected to a power source whilst updating.

What think you all? TomTom ????

Comments

• justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,096 [Exalted Voyager]
    I thought your USB lead was data AND power, no?
  • GOLLIWOGGOLLIWOG Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Yes it is. It's just that TomTom have been singing the praises and benefits of being able to update the new devices via wifi, without the need to tether to a PC. My question is, will the battery hold out long enough to download and then process updates, especially new maps, given that the battery life on these new devices is only 1 hour as opposed to 2 hours on the previous models.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    For Software Updates and Speed Camera Updates installing over Wi-Fi can be done if the new TomTom GO has a full battery. While the The TomTom GO has been designed to conserve power when updating, for maps and map updates we recommend connecting the TomTom GO to a USB power source.
    Thank you Chris.
  • walkerxwalkerx Posts: 246 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Chris wrote:
    For Software Updates and Speed Camera Updates installing over Wi-Fi can be done if the new TomTom GO has a full battery. While the The TomTom GO has been designed to conserve power when updating, for maps and map updates we recommend connecting the TomTom GO to a USB power source.

if that is the recommendation, then surely it would be wise to include a power adaptor in the packaging to ensure users use don't damage it via using an incorrect power supply
  • mrpj3mrpj3 Posts: 119 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    "for maps and map updates we recommend connecting the TomTom GO to a USB power source. "

Which really defeats the object of having wi-fi built in.:?
    Well I think that the marketing hype is somewhat overstated. It leads potential customers to believe that they will never have to connect their device to their computer by USB cable ever again, because all can be done magically using wifi.

Now, whilst I'm not saying that it can't be done, it seems that expecting a device with a one hour battery life from 'full' to successfully download and process a large amount of data that comprise a map update, is ambitious to say the least - especially given that, over time, the battery life will deteriorate. All of us who have predecessor devices know just how long it can take to install a new map update, and, how often the updates fail for one reason or another and have to be re-done.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback and interesting discussion regarding updating with Wifi and battery life!

Adding to Chris' comment above, please keep in mind that map updates are released every three months. The other, smaller, updates are more frequent. Of course you might in between need to e.g. install an additional map. Whether you'd need to plug the device for charging also depends on the size on the map you're installing/updating.

As a tip I'd also add that you might only want to install the updates you actually need to speed up the process and conserve power, e.g. when updating/installing a map don't take any other updates simultaneously.

Cheers, Mikko
  • bigbig Posts: 1,464 Superuser
    walkerx wrote:
    if that is the recommendation, then surely it would be wise to include a power adaptor in the packaging to ensure users use don't damage it via using an incorrect power supply
    I'm sure a rogue supply must exist someplace but what USB power supply could "damage" it? I mean USB supplies are pretty darn standard in the sense of 5V out. This is no different than anyone else choosing to use a mains charger with their older satnavs.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Another tip for updating: When updating the device is also automatically turning into a battery saving mode to conserve battery but you can also turn the device to sleep mode while updating and it'll continue to download and install the updates :D

Cheers, Mikko
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online30

30 Guests