Mazda NB1 latest update 10.855.2319141 - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Mazda NB1 latest update 10.855.2319141

Comments

• DerwanDerwan Posts: 43 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Dein wrote:
    Ok - now it's a bit more tricky.
    1) Don't ever remove the SD card, before the car is stopped or when opening the SD card door, wait for any data to be written before removing the card.

That's not an issue. My car is generally parked overnight before I take the card out. :)
    So my solution is made mainly to manually restore favorites etc after an update, but actually you can use my solution to make major changes to the gps, and add more favorites etc from your PC instead of manually in the car.

So you'd have to manually restore (using your procedure) each time you update the SD card?
  • DeinDein Posts: 27 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Yes that's exactly right, because TT Home don't make it right
  • apavapav Posts: 35 [Outstanding Explorer]
    With the Mazda unit all you can take in doors is the memory card and once it is attached to you PC the there is no option to operate the sat nav functions except add voices etc and update the software map and opsys sorry.
  • milsabordsmilsabords Posts: 22 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Yep ... TT never cared to provide the TTH plug-in to support this GPS.
    I was told that the problem was fixed but being non trusting person.
    I have removed the card from the car. without starting Home. I copied the full contents of the NB1 card and saved the contents on a disk on the PC.
    I then performed the home upgrade to obtain the latest map in my case EUROPE the program HOME would not let me perform an update before it had performed an update of itself which took it to version 2.10.1.464 it appears that I get an update of home most times I try to perform an update.
    I then updated the nNB1 card which gave me map V985 8197. I then copied all the files from the card again to another safe disk on the PC.

I took the nb1 card back to the car inserted it and found my favourites had gone again.

I took the card out again went back to the PC formatted the card and copied all the files from the disk where I has saved them earlier back to the card and went back to the car and now the favourites are all back again. but with old map.

I took the card back to the PC and copied the EUROPE folder ( which holds the maps for us) from the safe place I had saved them after the home update of the card, placed the folder on the NB1 card, went back to the car and I now have my favourites and the latest map. TOMTOM should note that the users are not causing the loss of the favourites by taking the card out incorrectly as this proves the favourites are on the card when the card is updated and the favourites are not on the card once the upgrade is carried out.
    also that as the card has been formatted and has had Microsoft scan performed on it there is probably no errors on the card.

The full details from my NB1 status page on the car are as follows
    DEV DPxxxxxxxxxx (0) 97.3
    APP 10.855.2319141.542 (0) (1815 30/5/2016
    BACKUP FS 974588
    OS 1550115
    GPS GWS 3.2. 5TT3 -CRC 3.301.06- C34P300
    BOOT 778626
    MAP EUROPE V985 8197 ( that is after my copying map latter.

PLEASE FIX THIS PROBLEM ONCE AND FOR ALL tomtom.

Mod edit: Please don't post personal information on a public forum.Thanks!
    There are 3 major issues in all of this:

1. TomTom hasn't even acknowledged that this is an issue - and even BLAMES our cards/computers for it. That's right Tomtom... all of our cards went corrupt at exactly the same time! (I even wasted money buying a new card.)

2. We are effectively "stuck" with TomTom. The navigation unit is built in. It's not like we can buy a different brand. Back when we only had stand-alone units, I bought a TomTom at the start of their failed MyTomTom rollout. It promised certain features that it didn't have. After months of waiting and them not delivering, they refused to give me a refund. Fortunately the store I purchased it from was happy to exchange it for a different brand.

3. The length of time it's taking to FIX the issue. 10.855 was announced in this forum on 2 August 2016 - over 6 months ago. Concerns were raised soon after its release. What kind of software company takes over 6 months to fix an issue?

Right now, I wouldn't buy a Tomtom ANYTHING - whether it be a fitness device or whatever - not when they treat their customers like this.
    P.S. the new TomTom HOME update has removed any notification about whether the map is up-to-date. (It constantly said it was out of date and wouldn't update map share corrections.)

I had to rejoin map share - tried to update - and it said there were no updates. So now I'm wondering if they've just "hidden" that issue instead of fixing it.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,006 Superusers
    If you installed the v985 map already, then it gives no map correction updates yet. That one is normal. Usually the map corrections for the latest maps follow a few days/weeks later.
    Zsolt wrote:
    If you installed the v985 map already, then it gives no map correction updates yet. That one is normal. Usually the map corrections for the latest maps follow a few days/weeks later.

Ah yes of course. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. :)
    Hi apov,
    Have you seen my detailed restore procedure?
    It's a working workaround for the current buggy TT.
    Hi I have proven that the problem is not happening while removing the card, as in my test the first thing I did after connecting the card to my PC ( without HOME starting) I copied the total contents of the card to a safe place on the PC then I performed the update and afterwards when putting the card back in the car I had no favourites I went back to the PC I formatted the card and copied all the original contents back to the card, went back to the car and all my favourites were back there as was the old map but it did prove the removal of the card was not the issue.
    I had found in the past that as I use a micro sd card in a holder, the holder has a switch to write protect the micro card, the switch on the holder can be over into the protect position as the holder is inserted into the car, so I superglued the switch in the non protect position.
    Well I hope you know all the issues related to "missing" favorites are related to the well known bug in TT Home
    I have suffered the favourites problem now for a few updates and have read many posts about the problem and the only quick answer I have read which woks for me is to put the NB1 card into the PC without starting TOMTOM Home and copy the full contents of the card to my PC perform the update using TOMTOM HOME then copy the file /LOOPDIR/LOOPBACK.ex3 from the original copy of the card back to the card replacing the new one created by the HOME programme then put the card back into the card (that way I have found that I keep my favourites. hope that helps you who are suffering.
    It might work ok this way, but as the update is actually updating core files in the loop back.ex3 (unix file system), and you restore the old loopback core information will be missing...
    Just so that you know.
    PS I have provided the complete details on how to do it right elsewhere on this site
    Hi Dein
    I have just had an email from TOMTOM senior engineer who says the copying of the loopback.ex3 file is the way to do it at the moment, With no mention of when the problem will be fixed. So I have asked about the updating of the core files as you say, I will update if I hear back
  • IngarKIngarK Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I did also take a backup of the file LOOPBACK.EX3 before updating to v985 of the map last week. Tested first without copying the file back, and favourites etc. was lost. Took the card out and restored LOOPBACK.EX3. Favourites etc. was back.
    Good to know this procedure also works:-)
  • milsabordsmilsabords Posts: 22 [Outstanding Explorer]
    The same problem did exist with the old stand-alone TT : a map update would reset the mapsettings.cfg in the map folder and the solution was to save it before, and restore it after the update.
    However, there have been some cases when this did not work when a firmware update was also applied.
    That's exactly why I provided a secure way of backup and restore of i.e. Favorites:-)
  • stromdriverstromdriver Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    and still not working, i'm so very sick of losing all my favorites and history every time i try to update

this is why i'm ripping out the mazda head unit and that piece of crap tomtom and putting in an android auto compatible headunit

tomtom has been nothing but problematic for the 5 years i've been using it, the traffic data is always out of date and slow to update in the rapidly changing traffic situations in phoenix
    Hi Stormdriver,

Interesting- please tell a bit about the procedure on how to do that (Android unit)
  • stromdriverstromdriver Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    Dein wrote:
    Hi Stormdriver,

Interesting- please tell a bit about the procedure on how to do that (Android unit)

looking to replace the mazda head unit with a pioneer avic4200nex, i'll be able to plug my galaxy in it with a usb cable and use android auto to have all the media and navigation and communication functions handled by my phone rather than relying on the substandard tomtom software and factory radio
    it takes some extra parts and some time and all told will probably run me about 700 bucks but it will be a much better arrangement and i can do everything in dash rather than having to hold my phone

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123858737-iDatalink-meastro-w-Pioneer-on-2014-CX-5
    Oh - I actually thought you'd update the current Mazda module
  • bonagvabonagva Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    First, I'd like to say hello to everyone, I found this forum while looking to the "lost favorites after upgrade" common topic.
    I own a Mazda6 2013 with a NB1 navigation and Europe maps.

I'd like to thank you a lot, Dein, for your solution that worked for me.
    I'm now editing my favorites on my Windows 10 PC and refresh the loopdir\loopback.ex3 file when needed.
    In fact, I also use a Garmin and its gpx format (xml) so I can refresh both with same data from a reference file.

BTW, I read somewhere in another thread that favorites were limited to 48 but I have more than 60 and I can see all of them.
    Not sure if this limitation still exists.

I'd just like to add a point that misses from your (well) detailed description: if, when mounting the drive with the loopback.ex3 file, you receive a message asking you to format the drive, don't do so and install an additional software that allows Windows to see and manipulate the files/folders structure within the single Unix file.
    In my case, I used https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/ which remains active in the background so you don't need to run it everytime, just once before mounting the drive.

Another point is that POI editors may have an impact in the way they save the .ov2 file.
    I've had good luck with POIEdit http://www.poiedit.com
    While I've had some issues with Tom POI Editor http://softop.tomtomusers.com/TomPoiEdr/ but that may well come from the conversion of my reference gpx file.

Ok, now time to switch to the next issue: replace the original 4GB SD card by one larger that accepts the Europe maps completely ...
    I've already seen several things to try in this forum ...

Cheers !
  • bonagvabonagva Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Ok, SD card upgraded:
    I wasn't able to find a 8GB card, so I bought a new Sandisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 (80mb/s) SDHC.

Inserted it as is in the car slot, closed the slot doors, started the car engine and waited for the message telling there were no maps in there.
    I waited a couple of minutes to ensure the system had enough time to write everything on the card.
    Shut down he engine and again waited half a minute to ensure everything was written on the card.

Put the card in the PC, TomTom Home started and proposed to download the maps and software upgrade, but, as here was enough room on the card, it proposed this time the full Europe map and not only a subset.
    It also added the latest version of the software and various add-ons (voices, ...).
    I let the system do what it wanted.

Once upgrade completed, I copied again the favorites onto loopdir\loopback.ex3 (see above).

I then inserted the card in the car slot, shut the slot doors and started the engine.
    It worked some time and the system went up successfully.

I'm glad I have again the full Europe maps and all my favorites and appreciate also the extra speed of the card that makes the system somewhat quicker.

FYI, prior to the 16GB card, I tried a 32GB card (same brand/type) without success, the NB1 system in the car does not write the loopdir data on the card.

Although, I was able to fix the issues and upgrade the system, being obliged to go through such a procedure is unacceptable for a brand like TomTom.
    My first contact with TomTom was a model One of a friend he wasn't able to work with (basic things: upgrades) and asked me to fix it.
    That was already crap. More than ten years later, I still need my IT skils to fix basic issues like keeping favorites after an upgrade.

Aside of never buying a standalone TomTom, I will certainly never buy a car that has a TT Nav system embedded again.

Compared to my a 10 years old, cheap entry level, Garmin where I'm still updating the maps for free and where favorites and POIs are just XML files I can edit in minutes, what can I say ?
    TomTom, wake up ...