Battery empty after 4h12" with GPS+CARDIO mode — TomTom Community

Battery empty after 4h12" with GPS+CARDIO mode

RoadnTrail_runnerRoadnTrail_runner Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 28 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Hey, i bougth a TOMTOM RUNNER CARDIO nearly 2 years ago. This weekend, i ran a trail of about 35 Km (modus GPS+CARDIO), and my watch stopped working (battery empty) after 4h12", thus 1Km before i finished. I am truly disappointed about this and would like to know if this happened to someone else too? Thanks for feedback!

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,793 Superusers
    Hey, i bougth a TOMTOM RUNNER CARDIO nearly 2 years ago. This weekend, i ran a trail of about 35 Km (modus GPS+CARDIO), and my watch stopped working (battery empty) after 4h12", thus 1Km before i finished. I am truly disappointed about this and would like to know if this happened to someone else too? Thanks for feedback!

That is on the short side, but not unusual for a two year old watch. Over time the battery losing its ability to hold a charge so you get shorter life. Did you have the backlight on or were you switching screens a lot? These use up more battery (the backlight especially). I assume there was a lot of tree cover as it was a trail? Environmental conditions play a large factor as well, since the more interference, the more the GPS has to struggle to find signal. There is not much you can do about it except makes sure the watch is fully charged, never use the backlight and keep switching screens to a minimum. The warranty has long since expired so there is not much TT is going to do for you unfortunately.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • RoadnTrail_runnerRoadnTrail_runner Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:

That is on the short side, but not unusual for a two year old watch. Over time the battery losing its ability to hold a charge so you get shorter life. Did you have the backlight on or were you switching screens a lot? These use up more battery (the backlight especially). I assume there was a lot of tree cover as it was a trail? Environmental conditions play a large factor as well, since the more interference, the more the GPS has to struggle to find signal. There is not much you can do about it except makes sure the watch is fully charged, never use the backlight and keep switching screens to a minimum. The warranty has long since expired so there is not much TT is going to do for you unfortunately.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

Hey tfarabaugh,
    thanks for your answer. No, i did not activate the backscreen light. The only options that i activated were the GPS and CARDIO. And before the race, i fully charged the battery.
    By the way, i finished the race the same time as another runner, who had the new TOMTOM RUNNER CARDIO. He showed me that his watch was nearly half full charged! That was quite frustrating, but anyway ...
    Do you know if there is a possibility to replace the battery of the watch?
    Thank you again for your advise and help.
    Best regards.
    Hey tfarabaugh,
    thanks for your answer. No, i did not activate the backscreen light. The only options that i activated were the GPS and CARDIO. And before the race, i fully charged the battery.
    By the way, i finished the race the same time as another runner, who had the new TOMTOM RUNNER CARDIO. He showed me that his watch was nearly half full charged! That was quite frustrating, but anyway ...
    Do you know if there is a possibility to replace the battery of the watch?
    Thank you again for your advise and help.
    Best regards.

There is no way to replace the battery and they do not offer a repair service. At two years old the battery performance is going to naturally degrade a bit, but this seems a bit low. Did you by chance have the watch synced to your phone? I found on my old MultiSport that if it was synced to a phone (even with phone sync off) it drained the battery prematurely. I factory reset and did not sync back to the phone and it was much improved.

• eugeneOeugeneO Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hiya tfarabaugh, please don't take this the wrong way but I was given a Multi Sport with HR earlier this year as a gift - I knew that it would be around 2 years old and initially, I was impressed with the battery life. It would last probably close to at least a week in my bag without charging.

But literally within the last couple of weeks, it does not even last for more than 2 days from a full charge AND that's without any use!!! I always put the watch into Airplane mode and checked that the Night mode is off. I have also factory reset the watch but this seems to make no difference.

I will try your trick of not sync'ing with a phone to see if that makes any difference.

If these TomTom watch batteries only last for about 2 years and a bit, I think TomTom should put that in their product blurb because I was thinking of spending over GBP100 for a new TomTom sports watch but will not as it seems that TomTom built (and supports) these products for possibly a year at most.

Again please don't take this as offense against you and also apologies to RoadnTrail_runner for hijacking this post.
    eugeneO wrote:
    Hiya tfarabaugh, please don't take this the wrong way but I was given a Multi Sport with HR earlier this year as a gift - I knew that it would be around 2 years old and initially, I was impressed with the battery life. It would last probably close to at least a week in my bag without charging.

But literally within the last couple of weeks, it does not even last for more than 2 days from a full charge AND that's without any use!!! I always put the watch into Airplane mode and checked that the Night mode is off. I have also factory reset the watch but this seems to make no difference.

I will try your trick of not sync'ing with a phone to see if that makes any difference.

If these TomTom watch batteries only last for about 2 years and a bit, I think TomTom should put that in their product blurb because I was thinking of spending over GBP100 for a new TomTom sports watch but will not as it seems that TomTom built (and supports) these products for possibly a year at most.

Again please don't take this as offense against you and also apologies to RoadnTrail_runner for hijacking this post.

If you are seeing a sudden drop in battery life, not a gradual decline over time, there may be an issue in your firmware image. It might not be turning a sensor off or something else. Do a factory reset and see if that fixes it as you should be getting weeks with it just in standby (just the clock showing), not days.
  • DEyeDEye Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    Hello,

Is the battery replaceable without losing the waterproof quality of the watch.
    I sometimes use it to simply track my excursions when exploring a new city and the watch died after 6 - 7 hours... from a full charge.
    If your out on an all day ride, even if you remember to stop/pause it during breaks, your going to have difficulty getting 10 - 12 hours out of it...
    What else can be done to get better battery life.
    I never used Backlight, and don't switch screens much, maybe the addition of a blank screen option in an effort to extend battery life would help - although lcd screens done use much ...

Don
    DEye wrote:
    Hello,

Is the battery replaceable without losing the waterproof quality of the watch.
    I sometimes use it to simply track my excursions when exploring a new city and the watch died after 6 - 7 hours... from a full charge.
    If your out on an all day ride, even if you remember to stop/pause it during breaks, your going to have difficulty getting 10 - 12 hours out of it...
    What else can be done to get better battery life.
    I never used Backlight, and don't switch screens much, maybe the addition of a blank screen option in an effort to extend battery life would help - although lcd screens done use much ...

Don

The battery is not replaceable without taking the watch apart and losing the waterproof seal 9 and you can;t get a battery for it anyway). the watch never had 10-12 hours life in it, it was rated for around 5-6 with GPS and HR and 8-10 with GPS only. And that was new, since it is now two years old it is going to have lost some capacity, as is true with any rechargeable battery.
  • DEyeDEye Posts: 16 [Master Explorer]
    I'm not keen on simply tossing a device that cost $$ because the battery life has degraded to N hours.
    Apple has a program where they offer a battery replacement, that is basically a device exchange service.
    It cost me nearly 100$ but then I had a device that was back to its original charge capacity.
    If TomTom doesn't offer such a service now it might be something they should, investigate.

Thanks,
    Don
  • RoadnTrail_runnerRoadnTrail_runner Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hey there,
    in nearly 1 week, i will again challenge the same trail-run than last year. It is about 39 Km this time, so i think it will take me between 4h30 and 5h00.
    Of course i would like to have a maximum of information after the run, therefore i will switch on the GPS and HR! But i admit, i already thought about switching HR off, just to be sure that the battery will least during the run.
    6 month ago, my watch fell down on the floor, and the lcd screen was broken. The shop where i bought my watch offered me to send it back to TT, and i got it back after one and a half month, device replaced, which means the battery is been replaced too. But i still doubt a little bit and i don't want to be disappointed again like last year: finishing the race ... with no battery :-(
    In the meantime, i was wondering if there is no possibility to switch off the BIP or VIBRO, as these two things probably also use a lot of the battery?
    I also realized, that i never run in RACE mode, but always configure on _ZONES_PACE or on _ZONES_HEART. Is it possible the battery lasts longer when i run in RACE mode?
    Thank you in advance for each input from the running community!
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online28

Dagobert
Dagobert
Jim07
Jim07
Kartenköner
Kartenköner
kumo
kumo
notboris
notboris