Updating golf courses for the first time — TomTom Community

Updating golf courses for the first time

rml123rml123 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Golfer & Golfer 2
Hi Guys, am new to the forum....I have just bought a TomTom Golfer GPS watch. I have registered the product etc etc. I have connected the device to my Mac and downloaded the software, installed the latest updates etc. However when it comes to Updating Golf Courses for the first time, it seems to take AGES! I let the device run overnight but still not complete. Any advice on why this is taking so long? I cannot move from this stage in the set-up either because it always defaults to 'Updating Golf Courses'....HELP!

Comments

• Stuart McDonaldStuart McDonald Posts: 759 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi. Welcome to the forum. A new release of MySports Connect (v3.0.9) went out today, but since you are in the UK I am assuming you already have that version (it was rolled out to the UK early). I assume you are seeing a screen with "UPDATING GOLF COURSES" and a blue progress bar.

If you disconnect your watch, go to the Settings Page (click the cog icon in the top right). Click the 'Advanced Settings' then scroll down to the buttom there is a Submit app data 'Send now' button (see attached). Click that and post the XX number that is displayed.

Regards,
    Stuart.

the progress bar should slowly move round (it should take about 10mins to update).
  • UganUgan Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I'm having the same issue. The update is taking forever. I've tried this now for about 10 times - still with no luck
    Ugan wrote:
    Hi, I'm having the same issue. The update is taking forever. I've tried this now for about 10 times - still with no luck
    Hi. If you follow the steps in my post above I will have a look at the logs.
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • Meadea05Meadea05 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Having the same problem as rml123. My reference ID after completing Stuart's steps are XX1482726191.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ma golferma golfer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Many of us are having the same issue and these comments show it has been months! I had two Golfer watches and both do the same thing. The update was taking over 1 1/2 hours and only going half way. I tried two computers and both did the same. I went to a friend's house to use their internet connection, it did the same. I only played one course so there shouldn't be a large course update. The connect software should give us an option to update software and an option to update local or all courses.
    My reference ID was XX1483018451
  • rjm012rjm012 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I'm having the same issue! I just bought the Golfer. First time install and update worked just fine. The next day, I played a round of golf. Then when I came home to connect/sync up to my Macbook, it would take FOREVER to update golf courses. I watched an entire NBA basketball game on TV while waiting for it to update and it was still only about half way through. I've tried resetting the watch (unfortunately I probably lost my pretty good score for that day), re-installing MySportsConnect, and nothing. I've tried this multiple times. I even tried the "hard reset" of holding the down button while syncing. The progress bar for the course update moves so slowly that I doubt it would finish if I left it overnight. Help!
    Meadea05 wrote:
    Having the same problem as rml123. My reference ID after completing Stuart's steps are XX1482726191.

Hi. Sorry for the delay just back. Looking at the logs a full course update is being done . The update was started and 10 minutes later the watch was removed.

2016-12-26 04:11:16.489 UTC|10|Information|ManifestServiceManager::checkComplete|5 active downloads (157 queued)
    ...162 files downloaded
    2016-12-26 04:12:06.546 UTC|10|Information|CourseSummaryUploader::onCourseSummaryProcessed|Processed OK => emit 162 payloads
    2016-12-26 04:14:23.654 UTC|10|Information|GolfPayloadsHandler::writePayloads|Write golf file (size 472320)
    2016-12-26 04:15:00.696 UTC|10|Information|GolfPayloadsHandler::onWroteFile|Wrote golf file (161 left)
    ...10 files written
    2016-12-26 04:21:37.934 UTC|10|Information|GolfPayloadsHandler::onWroteFile|Wrote golf file (149 left)
    2016-12-26 04:21:58.942 UTC|10|Information|USBDeviceDetector::DeviceRemoval|

It should take about 100 minutes for a full update (which from the above logs it had written 12 files in 7 minutes 14 seconds which would be about 100mins for the full 162 files). If it takes much longer than that then send new logs I will have a look.

Regards,
    Stuart.
    ma golfer wrote:
    Many of us are having the same issue and these comments show it has been months! I had two Golfer watches and both do the same thing. The update was taking over 1 1/2 hours and only going half way. I tried two computers and both did the same. I went to a friend's house to use their internet connection, it did the same. I only played one course so there shouldn't be a large course update. The connect software should give us an option to update software and an option to update local or all courses.
    My reference ID was XX1483018451
    Hi. A global update is only done if the watch has been reset (since all the maps are deleted during a reset), otherwise a local update is done. A global update must be completed before a local update can be done.

The logs show that the watch was factory reset, a global udpate was started and then the watch was removed

2016-12-29 13:19:40.095 UTC|10|Information|FirmwareUpdateState::onGotFirmwareUpdateInfo|Firmware 1.0.25. Start Update
    2016-12-29 13:20:57.734 UTC|10|Information|FirmwareUpdater::checkFinished|Finished update OK
    2016-12-29 13:21:01.173 UTC|10|Information|ManifestServiceManager::checkComplete|5 active downloads (157 queued)
    ...162 golf files downloaded
    2016-12-29 13:21:43.864 UTC|10|Information|CourseSummaryUploader::onCourseSummaryProcessed|Processed OK => emit 162 payloads
    2016-12-29 13:22:56.705 UTC|10|Information|GolfPayloadsHandler::onWroteFile|Wrote golf file (161 left)
    ...17 more golf files written
    2016-12-29 13:32:16.412 UTC|10|Information|GolfPayloadsHandler::onWroteFile|Wrote golf file (143 left)
    2016-12-29 13:32:25.554 UTC|10|Information|DeviceDetectorUSB|Report Removal

So from 13:21:43 to 13:32:16 19 of the 162 files had been written before the watch was removed. It should take about 100minutes to do a global update. If it takes a lot longer than that then send new logs and I will have a look.

Regards,
    Stuart.
    rjm012 wrote:
    I'm having the same issue! I just bought the Golfer. First time install and update worked just fine. The next day, I played a round of golf. Then when I came home to connect/sync up to my Macbook, it would take FOREVER to update golf courses. I watched an entire NBA basketball game on TV while waiting for it to update and it was still only about half way through. I've tried resetting the watch (unfortunately I probably lost my pretty good score for that day), re-installing MySportsConnect, and nothing. I've tried this multiple times. I even tried the "hard reset" of holding the down button while syncing. The progress bar for the course update moves so slowly that I doubt it would finish if I left it overnight. Help!
    Hi. After a reset a full update must be done which takes about 100minutes. If it takes much longer than that then send the logs and I will have a look. If after a successful update the local update is taking longer than 15minutes then send the logs and I will have a look.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • JuniordaddyoJuniordaddyo Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is a joke! I connected my watch to the laptop as advised in instructions, the update zoomed through, but then when I connected again to my laptop later on to have a play/link to phone/charge I am having the exact same problems as all those written above! Nearly 2 hours and I gave up. Currently trying again, but am getting very angry with what seems to be a glitch with the watch that TomTom are not rectifying! About to smash the stupid thing before I can even use it! Not happy! Awful. Worst thing is, you can't speak to anyone t TomTom!!!
    This is a joke! I connected my watch to the laptop as advised in instructions, the update zoomed through, but then when I connected again to my laptop later on to have a play/link to phone/charge I am having the exact same problems as all those written above! Nearly 2 hours and I gave up. Currently trying again, but am getting very angry with what seems to be a glitch with the watch that TomTom are not rectifying! About to smash the stupid thing before I can even use it! Not happy! Awful. Worst thing is, you can't speak to anyone t TomTom!!!
    Hi. The log files wrap so as not to take up disk space so I can only see from just before 9pm (UTC) on the 4th so I can't see where you left the watch connected for 2 hours.

What I can see is that a global map update was in progress. That should only happen if
    1) You perform a hardware reset of the device
    2) You perform a global map update using the button on the settings page of Sports Connect.

The update was in progress for 30mins before the watch was removed (it takes about 100mins). From that point on the the watch will show an error when connected and the maps must be re-installed (a global update of all maps re-writes all the maps, so removing it part way through means all maps must be replaced).

If you connect you watch and perform the re-install of the maps when requested (taking about 100mins) that should resolve the issue. The update will always 1) work or 2) report a problem, so don't remove it whilst in progress. If you still have a problem send new logs and I will have a look.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • ChapazChapaz Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Meadea05 wrote:

Hi. Sorry for the delay just back. Looking at the logs a full course update is being done . The update was started and 10 minutes later the watch was removed.

2016-12-26 04:11:16.489 UTC|10|Information|ManifestServiceManager::checkComplete|5 active downloads (157 queued)
    ...162 files downloaded
    2016-12-26 04:12:06.546 UTC|10|Information|CourseSummaryUploader::onCourseSummaryProcessed|Processed OK => emit 162 payloads
    2016-12-26 04:14:23.654 UTC|10|Information|GolfPayloadsHandler::writePayloads|Write golf file (size 472320)
    2016-12-26 04:15:00.696 UTC|10|Information|GolfPayloadsHandler::onWroteFile|Wrote golf file (161 left)
    ...10 files written
    2016-12-26 04:21:37.934 UTC|10|Information|GolfPayloadsHandler::onWroteFile|Wrote golf file (149 left)

It should take about 100 minutes for a full update (which from the above logs it had written 12 files in 7 minutes 14 seconds which would be about 100mins for the full 162 files). If it takes much longer than that then send new logs I will have a look.

Regards,
    Stuart.

With respect your app say the update will take a few minutes not nearly two hours. I find this somewhat disrespectful that you set such unrealistic expectations on your update screen.

Frankly you need to do something about the download speeds from your servers, in this day and age and with a firm of your size, this level is pathetic!

I have been forced into a factory reset because the latest update failed during installation and it was suggested this was the only way forward so either the watch is not fit for purpose or there must be a corruption in your update file, either way I am now forced to goto play golf without the watch!

Isnt it about time you stopped making excuses and started working on better solutions to this issue?
    Chapaz wrote:
    Meadea05 wrote:

...162 files downloaded
    ...10 files written

Regards,
    Stuart.

With respect your app say the update will take a few minutes not nearly two hours. I find this somewhat disrespectful that you set such unrealistic expectations on your update screen.

Frankly you need to do something about the download speeds from your servers, in this day and age and with a firm of your size, this level is pathetic!

I have been forced into a factory reset because the latest update failed during installation and it was suggested this was the only way forward so either the watch is not fit for purpose or there must be a corruption in your update file, either way I am now forced to goto play golf without the watch!

Isnt it about time you stopped making excuses and started working on better solutions to this issue?
    Hi. The wrong screen was being displayed for the full map install. This is fixed in the next release of MySports Connect. Also the time is not the download. It is decrypting and installing the map on the watch that takes the time. These are not powerful computers like your phone. Sorry if you think I have been making excuses. I have just been explaining to people that there are 2 types of installing maps; a full update caused by a reset or selecting the option from the settings page, or an update of the local courses. The problem with the same screen incorrectly being shown for both has obviously caused confusion.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • JONNYT2304JONNYT2304 Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi Stuart. Im having the Same problem. Mine was half loaded today for about 12 hours and nothing.
    Please help as its about to get returned for a garmin
    JONNYT2304 wrote:
    Hi Stuart. Im having the Same problem. Mine was half loaded today for about 12 hours and nothing.
    Hi, If you use the Submit App Data in the advanced section of the Settings Page (cog icon, top right of Sports Connect) I will have a look at the log files. It's easier if you can do this with the watch connected, if not then when you send the logs it will display a referenced id ("XX....") and you will have to let me know the number so I can find the logs.
    Thanks,
    Stuart.
    It wont give me a settings option. Just have a circle with a speach bubble and a question mark. It says updating courses and purple line is half way
    JONNYT2304 wrote:
    It wont give me a settings option. Just have a circle with a speach bubble and a question mark. It says updating courses and purple line is half way
    Hi. So you are using the mobile app and not Sports Connect on the PC? Sorry, for that you will need to contact support, I work on Sports Connect.

Regards,
    Stuart.
    I can only access settings when watch isnt connected. The id number i have now is XX1493718921
    No im using my pc with sports connect app
    Hi. The logs show that the update is progress and then writing the log just stops and then starts again a while later. Is the computer being slept? e.g. closing the screen on most laptops will sleep them. There is a timer for checking for retrying uploads which will write a line to the log file every 5 minutes, so if nothing is written for a log period then the only explanation I have is the computer has been slept and so Sports Connect is not running.

You can check the sleep mode under the Power Options of the Control Panel.

Regards,
    Stuart.
    Cheers stuart. Just changed settings to never sleep when plugged in. Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks
    All done Stuart. Thanks for that