TomTom GO smart satnavs add Wi-Fi®, voice controls and route prediction - Page 3 — TomTom Community

TomTom GO smart satnavs add Wi-Fi®, voice controls and route prediction

13»

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

I added a video to the announcement to show the new device in action.

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi all,

The new GO Wi-fi® and VIA devices will soon be also available in the US :D Please, see here.

Cheers, Mikko
  • bigbig Posts: 1,634
    Superuser
    Why does the announcement state "You need a PC with an Internet connection and a MyTomTom account to download map updates. "

I thought the whole point of the WiÏi was that a PC was not needed?
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 669
    Superuser
    The footnote refers to the paragraph discussing the VIA devices, which do need a PC for updates.
  • bigbig Posts: 1,634
    Superuser
    @dmulv No, the footnote is pointed to by the 520/620 paragraph as well.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 669
    Superuser
    Oh yes - well spotted!

I sense a hasty click of the edit button...
    Hi big,

Thanks for pointing that out!

It's a copy-paste from the press release which probably has copied it from elsewhere on our website. As dmulv mentioned the VIA devices are indeed updated with the MyDrive Connect desktop app. Onfly the GO Wi-Fi® devices can be updated wirelessly.

Cheers, Mikko
  • staticstatic Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have just bought the 6200 and am disappointed, It seems to be a step backward from the 5020.

Having to use the phone own software to make calls and no ability to switch to 3D mode permanently, is frustrating.
    5020 was capable of making calls without having to interact with the phone and the only time 2D came on is when I turned it on. Additionally, recently the 5020 started reading text messages without having to install a phone app......
    The only + with the 6200 so far is the WiFi updating and that I don't have to spend $60 every year for traffic, speed cameras and searching for local businesses etc....

The prediction part would be good, if it didn't come on every time I drove to the shops, or just down the road.
    Or it would use my recorded route to work and back, instead of the programmed route with all the traffic lights, which.... if you catch one ...u catch them all.... Then the trip is 10 minutes longer than my route through the back streets with no hassle and stop starts....

Additionally, when the Destination Prediction kicks in, or a My Routes is selected, as you are generally in a area that you know, i.e. day to day trips to work and back and the shops, the system should only realy alert you to congestion, road block and speed cameras.... not every turn you need to make ( I already know where to go...). As it gives you a turn by turn, for the 3 minute trip from the shops to home or the 10 minute trip to work and back. I have turned off the prediction option as it realy is no added use, just an annoyance....

Operating systems should get better over time, I can see that TomTom is trying.
    However dropping the ability to make phone calls without using the phones own apps and constantly reverting to 2D is really frustrating.

The predictive software really needs some thought put into it. Currently its amateurish.... its like the software manager was trying to impress up stairs management... and threw it in with no actual use cases tested...
    I very much doubt I will ever purchase another TomTom product based on this current version.

2010 - 540S XXL
    2013 - 5020 World
    2017 - 6200 Live
    Hi all,

I updated the announcement about the new US devices with some more information.

Cheers, Mikko