TomTom GO smart satnavs add Wi-Fi®, voice controls and route prediction - Page 2 — TomTom Community

TomTom GO smart satnavs add Wi-Fi®, voice controls and route prediction

Comments

• Xtraseller-AndXtraseller-And Posts: 35 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    arichard wrote:
    I don't think they would announce it if it was a cheap way of producing "more advanced" new models to force us to upgrade. Have you seen the extra wifi bits inside the cases? How do we mere consumers know what the limitations of current hardware are? Does TomTom have any motivation to get the very best out of existing hardware with good working software as opposed to selling new units?

Like most companies, they try to get a balance - TT do a fairly okay job of updating software on older units, keep existing customers happy, so that they either continue to recommend - whilst at the same time as a company (who has to pay for these updates) provide a compelling enough difference in their new products to tempt some to update their hardware

I don't think for that many users of current generation TTs that the new units are that enticing - (I am hoping the speed and notifications will do it for me) - but may entice a few of the older generation TTs users to jump on to the latest generation

If there is a wifi chip in the old units or not, I don't know or care - they won't, in my oppion either, make it available. But I think it isn't there. I mean they even left Bluetooth out of the 6000 series to save a few pennies (which would have been useful), so I doubt they would have thrown in a wifi chip which had (at that stage) no use just to add some weight
  • AritzAritz Posts: 84 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    arichard wrote:
    I don't think they would announce it if it was a cheap way of producing "more advanced" new models to force us to upgrade. Have you seen the extra wifi bits inside the cases? How do we mere consumers know what the limitations of current hardware are? Does TomTom have any motivation to get the very best out of existing hardware with good working software as opposed to selling new units?

Well, maybe someone from TT could say something on this. But with your thinking, I guess you wouldn't trust their words. We can open our devices and check, but I prefer not to. I don't see any option but to trust.

Regards.
  • arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    Thanks Xtraseller-And

Not sure I agree with "OK job updating software" I does seem to me we are beta testers and do most of the update work for them.
  • Old TomTomOld TomTom Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Will we be able to update both the european map and the us map or will we only be able to update the map we first start using.This is with regards to the lifetime map updates.
    As it is now you are not able the get free updates to the us map is you start using the european map.
  • cantallacantalla Posts: 39 [Outstanding Explorer]
    TOMTOM takes on sale a new browser on the go 52/62 wifi and you have no new go 3 years 500/510. can make an update of these and add the bluethoot that is essential not better to get a new one and leave the old mine go 510/610/5100 mother as flippantly
  • Verner LyngVerner Lyng Posts: 24 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    AND STILL NO SUPPORT OF POI CATEGORIES ON MAP WHILST DRIVING ???
    Any idea of availability on these - pre-ordered and says 1-3 days, but still shows as pre-order so contradicts itself?

Would be nice to know approx. timescale
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,011
    Superusers
    Finally 16GB internal :) Nice touch (however a memory card cost peanuts nowadays). But the Wi-Fi is a top notch idea. The issue of the Linux users is solved :)
  • clarejenkinsclarejenkins Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    will the wifi and bluetooth work with a Windows smartphone or Blackberry?
  • bigbig Posts: 1,634
    Superuser
    Any idea of availability on these - pre-ordered and says 1-3 days, but still shows as pre-order so contradicts itself?
    I wonder if these and the latest firmware release is pending the new MyDrive apps appearing in the Apple and Google stores?

And still would like to know if they will be sold in the States.
    Superusers

As far as I can see from the product description page, certain features need the MyDrive app, which is not available for WP or BB, only for iOS and Android. But I suppose the handsfree would work. And the Wi-Fi is for the updates only (and most likely would work with those phones as Wi-Fi hotspots, but then again, your data plan will have to allow tethering and downloading a 6.5GB map would take some time, over the phone, let alone that an unlimited data plan would be required).

Yes some of the write-ups says Siri, Google Hello and Cortana, others (including TTs own) say just Google and Siri

But like you say, handsfree and wifi shouldn't be an issue - just notifications

Would like to see Cortana added as I regularly use my Lumia 950xl as my main phone, switching between that and my iPhone - and considering how easy it would be to build in notification support for the platform, seems a pitty if they haven't
  • AritzAritz Posts: 84 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Tomtom also refers to Cortana, not in this forum nor in the product page but see this press release: http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=987294

We need to wait until we have the new models or, at least, their user guide.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 668
    Superuser

Amazon state 5th October...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-GO-5200-WiFi-Handsfree/dp/B01L8PLHV6
    >>Tomtom also refers to Cortana, not in this forum nor in the product page but see this press release: http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=987294 We need to wait until we have the new models or, at least, their user guide.

Thats Good news!
    dmulv wrote:

I have seen that but surprised that TomTom take the money if that is the case - almost everyone debits when goods are ready for dispatch these days
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 668
    Superuser
    Have they definitely taken the money though? Might be an idea to check with your bank as I agree, they shouldn't accept payment before anything's ready. I've pre-ordered with Amazon, who haven't taken anything yet.

Incidentally I suspect the Amazon date's correct, as in the TomTom order page it elaborates on the delivery with 'Within 2-3 working days after release date'.
  • CliffmonsterCliffmonster Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Appreciate no WiFi update to 5100 but surely no hardware limitations for other new features ...I.e hands free calling and Google integration ...really upset me as I've only had mine a month ....especially when the android drive app has updated with the new features already ¡!!¡
    Superusers
    The GO 5100 has no BT, so wondering how would you achieve handsfree without (and connection to the phone).
  • CliffmonsterCliffmonster Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thought it had the same soc as 510 ...so if not then i've been suckered ¡!.....ah well will have to lump it and buy a Bluetooth speaker ...thanks anyway
    :(
  • BerrHunterBerrHunter Posts: 296 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    dmulv wrote:

Halfords site saying "Available to buy end of September"

http://www.halfords.com/technology/sat-nav/car-sat-nav/tomtom-go-520-5-sat-nav-with-wifi-traffic-world-maps

Click the "Read More" button.
  • rosa2222rosa2222 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I'll be very happy to buy this model,but one thing that really bothers me, is that i want to have a voice warning telling me of upcoming Speed Cameras when i'm driving ...why is this such a big deal?...Look at the things you have to go through to put that feature on,3rd party POI files from the web,just put that feature on the tomtom please,if you don't want it,''then just turn it off'' ... but for it to just ''not be there'' is ridiculous.
    Superusers
    All the TT models have an audible warning for speed cameras. On the NAV4 models, you can even set it to read out loud, what kind of camera it is.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback regarding the new GO Wi-Fi® devices!

The new GO Wi-Fi® devices are first released in Europe, as well as Australia and New Zealand, Indonesia and Maleysia. I have no information currently of plans to release elsewhere but I'll post back here as soon as I know more :D

As mentioned in the press release, the new devices will be available at selected retailers and the TomTom website later this month.

I currently have no further information about the Contana support as the MyDrive app is indeed currently available only for Android and iOS devices. I'll post back here as soon as I learn more about this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • rosa2222rosa2222 Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Audible ''Bleep'' yes ... but that's not what i said ... i said ''voice warning telling me of upcoming Speed Cameras when i'm driving''.
    Superusers
    Yes, that's available. You need to choose a TTS voice and it will tell you that there is a fixed camera, mobile camera, accident hotspot, whatever. As long as you have a NAV4 model (GO 400/500/600 and upwards). It is available for like 2 years now.