GO Mobile saying rotary instead of roundabout — TomTom Community

GO Mobile saying rotary instead of roundabout

PgarnyPgarny Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hi can anyone advise here. I have a nexus 6p its just upgraded to android nougat and now tomtom says at the rotary instead of roundabout?
Im using uk maps uk serena voice. Phone language is english uk
Ive just uninstalled reinstalled and still the same. Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Pgarny,

Welcome to the forum!

Are you getting this on every round about or just some/a particular one? Could you provide an example of a location/route with which this can be reproduced, please? Which map and map version are you using?

Thanks, Mikko
  • simon_un29simon_un29 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I'm getting this to, all roundabouts between A316 in LB Richmond and Bracknell. Also, the motorway (M3) is referred to as 'Highway'. This is quite distracting.

I've emailed support, no reply.

Simon Heard
    Hi Simon,

Thanks for the info! Could you also state the map, map version and voice you're using, please?

I don't see any contact history on your TomTom account. Could you PM me the incident number of your contact, please, so I can get in touch with Customer Service about this?

Thanks, Mikko
  • harsh1311harsh1311 Posts: 196 [Supreme Navigator]
    Just as a check, if you change the language to English (US), do you still get the same issue? Also if you change the voice to Tim English (UK) does it help? May be that will help guys from tomtom to get to the real issue faster.
  • ricstoricsto Posts: 14 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Me too. Been using the app daily for months but since this morning Serena insists roundabout is a rotary.
    I've changed no settings in app, map download was a week or so ago. Updated to Nougat on Monday. Not 100% sure but I think Serena was saying roundabout not rotary since update.
    Very strange
    To add to previous message.
    Device is Nexus 5x with Nougat
    Map is Uk
    Version of map 975.7679 (United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland)
    App version 1.12 (1641)
    Voice. Serena
  • kevinhon_un33kevinhon_un33 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    go to your device setting language and change to English (united kingdom) some how mine change whether it was the tomtom app or another app had change it to English (united states) then open tomtom then you will hear roundabout instead of rotary.
    go to your device setting language and change to English (united kingdom) some how mine change whether it was the tomtom app or another app had change it to English (united states) then open tomtom then you will hear roundabout instead of rotary.

Not the issue on mine. I'd checked that and the language is already English (United Kingdom). I'll toggle it between English (US) and back to UK just in case the settings have stuck after the upgrade and the language is reporting being English (UK) but is in fact US English. I'll report back if it resolves anything.
    Ran a couple of tests.
    replaced device language English (UK) with English (US) using Serena voice. Unsurprisingly she says "rotary" for roundabout and "highway" for Motorway.
    Replaced device language English (US) with English (UK). Serena still says she says "rotary" for roundabout and "highway" for Motorway.

Tried Tim UK using device language English (UK). I've never used Tim before and I'm staggered how bad that voice is. However, he did say roundabout instead of rotary but he struggles to say the word "motorway" even though he tried. He says. "take the muh". He also appears to interrupt himself in mid sentence quite frequently. Tim is unusable.

I'm not sure what else I can add. I've a support ticket open. 160902-xxxxxxxx
    To spare anyone else the time of trying, I had a similar experience with the 'Jane' voice - almost unusable. Are the themes constant - Nexus, Nougat upgrade? I think I detect a slight change in the voice when it says 'rotary' or 'highway' as if another accent was being used - but perhaps just me?
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback relating to this!

I have forwarded this to the product team for investigation. Please note, that the current version (v1.12) of GO Mobile is not tested on Android 7. However, the next one will be and hopefully this can be sorted in that :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • JonAldJonAld Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've had the same problem with TomTom Go on Nexus 5X after nougat update - Serena voice changed Roundabout into Rotary and Motorway into Highway. Surprisingly distracting and surprisingly annoying! The Android has English UK as the only language installed.

What seems to have solved the problem is adding a second voice (Jane), removing Serena (Edit Voices), then re-downloading Serena.

Fingers crossed that it behaves from here - Tomtom does seem to have inexplicable consistency problems: I use metric measures and just occasionally get inexplicable announcements in yards!
    Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing the solution to this! :D I'll forward this to the product team for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks Jon,

I tried your solution, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. Did you test the Jane voice, and did you leave it installed? - I just deleted it after downloading Serena again.

Simon
  • JonAldJonAld Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I did try the Jane voice out - just had a route-preview which involved passing our nearest rotary - sorry, roundabout! I just tried it again +24h later, via a different roundabout, and its still using the correct (British) terminology.
    Hi all,

The product team confirmed that they're aware of this issue and have fixed it in the next release :D It should be out very soon but I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Mikko
  • keeps54keeps54 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Looking forward to this being fixed. Same setup here, Nexus phone upgraded to Nougat and Serena saying rotary. Very annoying for me as I live in Milton Keynes where there is a roundabout every half mile
    Installed latest update from Play Store, glad to say Serena now says 'Roundabout.' Major traffic problems toady on M3/M4 so can't confirm she now says 'motorway' but am hopeful. The relief!

Simon
  • AlanHoneyman1959AlanHoneyman1959 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Latest update, I can't see it on Play Store yet :-(
  • keeps54keeps54 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Likewise, still only v1.12 in Play Store for me
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,181 [Revered Voyager]
    keeps54 wrote:
    Likewise, still only v1.12 in Play Store for me
    The Play Store app tells me version v1.12 was last updated on 5 August 2016 but if I go to the play store web site https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.gplay.navapp I am told that the current version of v1.12 was last updated on 11 October 2016. This suggests that someone at TomTom failed to increment the version number. If so then anyone who feels a strong need to fix this defect could perform an uninstall/reinstall to get the update. What with the associated need to download all the same maps over again I'll give it a pass.
  • AlanHoneyman1959AlanHoneyman1959 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I went the uninstall route, still going around the rotary :-(
    Sorry to hear that. After the reinstall, is the Play Store app now telling you (after selecting READ MORE and scrolling to the very bottom of the app's description) that this app was last Updated in August or October?
  • RalphGRalphG Posts: 33 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    tgold wrote:
    ... After the reinstall, is the Play Store app now telling you (after selecting READ MORE and scrolling to the very bottom of the app's description) that this app was last Updated in August or October?

I got a Play Store update of TomTom Go app a few days ago. The Play Store says it is version 1.12 last updated October 11, 2016 but within the app on my phone the version is 1.13, so it does look like the they missed updating the version number description on the Play Store.
    RalphG wrote:
    I got a Play Store update of TomTom Go app a few days ago.
    Did you get a notification of the availability of the v1.13 update? Was the Play Store app able to update v1.13 on top of v1.12 and its maps or did you need to uninstall v1.12 in order to install v1.13?