Swimming inaccuracy

SnakeCZ
SnakeCZ Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi,

I have bought a TomTom Spark yesterday. I tried it for running exercise yesterday and it worked perfectly fine. However, I have tried it for swimming today and it was a disaster.
- Out of 48 lengths (25m pool) I have made, it only counted 36. It counted correctly when I stopped after each length, which is not very suitable for a good training. When I swam 4 lengths of crawl (with crawl turns), it only registered two.
- There is no way to recognize swimming style
- After-workout analysis was not sufficient at all - it didn't tell me my fastest round ( per 25m or 50m; just 100m) and swimming styles. Or it didn't tell me what was my stroke count or SWOLF per length. Actually no SWOLF at all in the website application.
- There is no way to add races for swimming (with running it works fine though)

Is there any upcoming software update for the watch or MySports website that would eliminate these problems so I can keep the watch and hope for better future?
I was so excited about this watch but it let me down.

Are there any other alternative that would give swim accuracy with full analysis and in-built HR monitor for running?

Thanks

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    SnakeCZ wrote:
    Hi,

I have bought a TomTom Spark yesterday. I tried it for running exercise yesterday and it worked perfectly fine. However, I have tried it for swimming today and it was a disaster.
    - Out of 48 lengths (25m pool) I have made, it only counted 36. It counted correctly when I stopped after each length, which is not very suitable for a good training. When I swam 4 lengths of crawl (with crawl turns), it only registered two.
    - There is no way to recognize swimming style
    - After-workout analysis was not sufficient at all - it didn't tell me my fastest round ( per 25m or 50m; just 100m) and swimming styles. Or it didn't tell me what was my stroke count or SWOLF per length. Actually no SWOLF at all in the website application.
    - There is no way to add races for swimming (with running it works fine though)

Is there any upcoming software update for the watch or MySports website that would eliminate these problems so I can keep the watch and hope for better future?
    I was so excited about this watch but it let me down.

Are there any other alternative that would give swim accuracy with full analysis and in-built HR monitor for running?

Thanks

I would not hold out hope for changes to the swimming function. If you search the forum for "swim accuracy" or similar strings you will find plenty of posts about it. In a nutshell it is highly dependent on form, it works best with crawl (freestyle) and you need to have very sharp turns as the watch detects the turn by the change in motion. You also should not pause mid lap or change stroke mid swim (there is more in the other threads). It will not auto recognize swim style and the after workout metrics are what they are and have not changed. I think swimming is one of the the least used activities and there may not be enough demand to dedicate the resources to overhaul it. Much of what you have requested has been asked for since the introduction of the watches 3+ years ago with little to no change, so read into that what you will.

HR is turned off in swim mode intentionally as the water reduces the accuracy of the readings for many people and it does not meet the standards required to use it (they would have more complaints than it is worth). If you use it in freestyle you can get HR but you will lose all swimming metrics.

If swimming is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. Specifically look for a swimming specific watch as this and others are essentially running watches with swimming tacked on and they are a mixed bag when it comes to features and accuracy. You need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • SnakeCZ
    SnakeCZ Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks a lot. It is the answer I was hoping for, because now I will have to return the watch and look for something else.
    I tried it yesterday and it really is inaccurate since it does not separate time resting at the side of the pool from actual swimming and makes my times way worse than they are.
    TomTom Spark is a big NO for swimming.

Cheers.
  • tebbsy
    tebbsy Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I used my new Runner 2 in a 25 m pool this evening on the interval training setting, and wasn't very impressed. It switched from warmup session straight into the work setting no problem, but the time-based rest periods I'd set between intervals didn't appear, so there was no break between the intervals.

It didn't track the lap lengths correctly either. I swam 40 lengths and it counted 39.

From what I've read on this forum, there are lots of problems with the swimming settings. I hope tis gets fixed.
  • elissawilliams
    elissawilliams Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I always prefer the swimming exercise in my health life. I am not sure, I swim very well, but I know one thing it gives good health benefits and supported to maintaining the body health. I never calculated the swimming accuracy. But I try to do swimming exercise regularly.
  • MihaelaM
    MihaelaM Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I totally agree, swimming it's not a very developed feature for this watch. I'm a triathlete and I've bought the watch for its multi-sport feature. But it doesn't count the kick drills (without moving the arms) or one-arm drills, and it doesn't count the laps in real time. If I forget to stop the watch, it goes on counting the laps even after I finished the workout. I'm very disappointed and, no offense, but I don't recommend it to triathletes.

Maybe you should add the possibility to adjust the distance at the end of the workout, as for the treadmill running. :wink:
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    MihaelaM wrote:
    I totally agree, swimming it's not a very developed feature for this watch. I'm a triathlete and I've bought the watch for its multi-sport feature. But it doesn't count the kick drills (without moving the arms) or one-arm drills, and it doesn't count the laps in real time. If I forget to stop the watch, it goes on counting the laps even after I finished the workout. I'm very disappointed and, no offense, but I don't recommend it to triathletes.

Maybe you should add the possibility to adjust the distance at the end of the workout, as for the treadmill running. :wink:
    Since it is specifically not marketed to triathletes, I would not recommend it either and neither has TomTom. They are not going after this market and have been clear from the start that this is not a triathlete watch. As to not counting strokes on a kick drill, how do you suppose it would accomplish this since you arms are not moving and you are wearing the watch on your wrist? Is the accelerometer supposed to somehow know your legs are moving only? You cold try putting it on your ankle and see if that works.
  • BahaTom
    BahaTom Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have a spark 3 and use it for triathlon training. I agree it doesnt count the kick lengths as you are be definition not moving your arms, but then again in any of my sets i do i can keep track of how many i do and then i add distance editing the the distance on the mysports getting the total distance. For open water there is no way of knowing distance as you wont turn(that often at least)and the gps doesnt work under water. I tried strapping the watch to my back and using freestyle but it was still too much interference with the gps signal. But using google maps distance measurement gives a reasonably accurate distance and you still get the time and strokes. Over time i have compared with the results from the pool and they correspond well enough to be a help in training.