Waterproof remote control for Bandit camera — TomTom Community

Waterproof remote control for Bandit camera

CoolhandCoolhand Posts: 52 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
As I understand the remote control is not waterproof (merely water resistent). Is there (or will there be) an option (case) to make this waterproof? For now using the remote in combination with the selfiestick while diving (snorkling) is not possible which limits the use (in my opinion).

Thnx.

Comments

• the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    Don't know about it being waterproof/resistant, but mine lives on my motorbike which is never covered. 2 days ago, we had almost 40mm of rain and the remote still works. Not sure if this helps any, but I am confident it will survive under water for a short amount of time
  • sercolanisercolani Posts: 37 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Radio waves don't generally travel well underwater and in this case, I suspect the remote wouldn't work even if it was completely waterproof.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    As sercolani correctly points out, the remote control doesn't work when the Bandit is in water. You can test this by submerging the Bandit in water and trying to operate the Bandit with the remote above the water, the connection will not work reliably.
  • CoolhandCoolhand Posts: 52 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Thnx for the replies. Unfortunately "wifi not working underwater" is not completely true! This can be seen by looking through a multitude of Youtube examples (of the competitor, but still wifi).

What is true, is that the range of the wifi signal is drastically reduced. However, mounting the remote on one end of the selfiestick with the camera on the other should be a working solution in my opinion.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    The remote pairs to the Bandit via Bluetooth.
  • CoolhandCoolhand Posts: 52 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi Chris, Could be, maybe a second model equipped with wifi (and an option to switch between video and photo) could be designed.
  • GetiemGetiem Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Solution Wifi control can be simple: use your waterproof Smartphone to connect wifi to the Bandit, and control in live-view mode.

Beware of battery usage for this on both smartphone and camera.