HUD mode in Go Mobile app. — TomTom Community

HUD mode in Go Mobile app.

NickHoathNickHoath Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
Hi,
Can we have a HUD mode please? So, configurable rotation & mirroring.
Cheers!

Comments

• NickHoathNickHoath Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    That's your opinion. If you don't want to use the feature, then don't. Personally I'd rather not keep flicking my eyes to the center of my console to view the satnav, rather than having it hovering just above the steering wheel.
  • justbrowsingjustbrowsing Posts: 3,094 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    NickHoath wrote:
    That's your opinion. If you don't want to use the feature, then don't. Personally I'd rather not keep flicking my eyes to the center of my console to view the satnav, rather than having it hovering just above the steering wheel.

So you'd rather try to continuously adjust your focus between the windscreen & 50-100 yards down the road? That's your choice but in my OWN opinion, that's just sheer dangerous because no-ones eyes are that clever/versatile.
  • NickHoathNickHoath Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    NickHoath wrote:

So you'd rather try to continuously adjust your focus between the windscreen & 50-100 yards down the road? That's your choice but in my OWN opinion, that's just sheer dangerous because no-ones eyes are that clever/versatile.
    No, I'd rather adjust my focus between 50-100 yards down the road & the HUD module, rather than having to adjust my focus from 50-100 yards down the road to the dashboard, *AND* look left and down (probably with head movement) to the center of the console where the satnav is currently located.
  • NukeThemAllNukeThemAll Posts: 52 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    As David Cameron (remember him? No? Oh well....) once said "I agree with Nick". My built-in car sat nav (which I sometimes use) has a very simplified 'next turn' feature which displays on the instrument panel between the speedo and rev counter, whereas the main display (with map etc) requires me to look down and left slightly at the infotainment screen. First time I've had a car with this 'next turn' feature and realise how much I appreciate it. I've also test-driven a car with a HUD and within the space of a few minutes I loved it (but the rest of the car was awful so didn't buy it).

Of course, it's quite possible to mount your phone very high up so it's nearly or actually in your driving line of sight, but that has obvious drawbacks for seeing where you're going. So although I mostly use my TT app, mounted fairly high up and using a BIG phone (Nexus 6), that still requires me to glance a little bit down and left, and I've often thought how nice it would be to have a customisable HUD option where the user can choose the amount of info displayed. So, yes, HUD option, got my vote.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,181 [Revered Voyager]
    I've also test-driven a car with a HUD and within the space of a few minutes I loved it (but the rest of the car was awful so didn't buy it).
    Was that a true distant focus display or just the near focus imitation of a HUD like the best a mobile phone app could cobble together? If the former, which make and model of car offers that?

BTW I am opposed to the request for a reverse screen feature to use for HUD on safety grounds because I fear a driver will be distracted from the road without realizing it.
  • IanS100IanS100 Posts: 302 [Supreme Navigator]
    How is being distracted by a reverse screen HUD any worse than being distracted by an OE HUD, built in Sat Nav, instruments or the myriad of other in car distractions?
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,181 [Revered Voyager]
    My concern is that the distraction and loss of vision of the road while it is unfocussed would be unconscious, unlike a side-wards glance that the driver would recognize and so try to end as soon as possible. Maybe there is some research that either supports or contradicts that prejudice of mine.
    The car was a BMW, and I assume it was a 'distant display' but didn't pay it too much attention. Yes, the ideal would be a 'distant display' navigation, but I'd be happy with re-focussing without having to glance left/down as I do now. But I take your point - it's a balance of what is the worst distraction (the display always there in front of you) versus the problem of looking away from where you're driving. I'm assuming some common sense on the part of the driver here!
    My reservation would be having the mobile phone for the HUD stuck somewhere on the dash, with potential to fly off half way round a corner. What I can never understand though, are the numpties that stick a TomTom PND in the middle of the windscreen, with scant regard to the blindspot they've created!
    Ian, there are many ways to secure your phone on the dashtop to prevent it moving in any driving environment short of an 'unintended halt from speed'. Even a simple beanbag mount (which I used to use with a PND before I graduated to phone in air-vent mount) is pretty damn stable, even in an emergency stop.

I note that at least one obvious competitor app offers a HUD option, so it can't be **that** difficult
    I think the competitors HUD is designed to be permanently stuck in place rather than lying on the dash staring skyward then removed whenever the car is vacated.
    Ian, looking at the Google app store, the info for this unnamed competitor implies that the app can be used 'normally' or in HUD mode. As I said before, there are solutions available which will place the phone in a HUD-friendly orientation and still let you easily remove it when you leave the car. It's kind of interesting though that the HUD option isn't (yet) available on many of the other obvious competitor apps.
  • TyronTyron Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This is the purpose of HUD
  • g30r93g30r93 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Please add hud mode to app.. ty
  • DfyddhwllsDfyddhwlls Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Is it possible to request a HUD upgrade to the app? If so, is this the place to do it, or should I be requesting this somewhere else?
  • AsprinAsprin Posts: 271 [Supreme Pioneer]
    HUD is a waste of time.
    Hard to see at night when a car is coming at you.
    Try using it when it is raining out or you windscreen fogs up a little.
    And with the front screen being two sheets of glass you get a double image that is blurred.
    e5734ca9-541a-49d0-b0a8-cfd87d097f71.jpg
    Also it is extremely difficult to put the phone on the dashboard so that the driver could see only the reflection of the screen. Typically, the driver sees both reflection, and the display itself – but as a whole it turns out some glowing mess
    Plus you have to put it so close to the windscreen for it to work.
    That being said you can not use a windscreen holder for your smartphone it put the phone to far away from the the windscreen you do not get a good reflection.
    Then you have to make sure your phone does not slide when making a turn.
    Other apps have tried it and I have tried it and do not like it.
    See the map and where to make your next turn is very important.
    You do not get that with HUD.
    It shows an arrow to turn and when streets are close to each other it does not tell you which street to take.
    You only get a arrow pointing left or right.
    That is very hard at night and more so in bad weather.

Stick to night mode on your app and you are better off.

Safety first is what is important when you are driving!!!!!!!
  • jgmoreno75jgmoreno75 Posts: 51 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Economic solution:
    Car HUD Head Up Display HUD de Advertencia de Velocidad de Navegación GPS Soporte Head Up Display Para El Sostenedor Plegable Del Soporte Del Coche Del Teléfono Móvil Inteligente
    http://s.aliexpress.com/eq2yuyaq
    (from AliExpress Android)

but the developers of TomTom are not able
  • jgmoreno75jgmoreno75 Posts: 51 [Apprentice Traveler]
    You can try the HUD mode with Sygic. It's terrific! 100% recommended.