Spark- Is it possible to link the watch to Spotify?

Crandall31
Crandall31 Registered Users Posts: 4
Neophyte Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Is it possible to link your watch to Spotify?
Tagged:

Comments

• Martech Photo
    Martech Photo Registered Users Posts: 5
    Master Explorer
    No. :-(
  • Crandall31
    Neophyte Traveler
    Rubbish!! Ok thanks
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    Crandall31 wrote:
    Is it possible to link your watch to Spotify?

You cannot use Spotify or Apple Music as these are streaming services and the tracks are all DRM protected. You own a license to listen to the music, into the music itself (unlike if you purchase an album off iTunes) and it can only be listened to through the Spotify app. This is true of online and offline listening; for offline you are downloading the songs but you still do not own them, just the right to listen. If you cancel your subscription you lose access to them. Here are the details for music tracks:

MP3:
    Sample rate: 16KHz to 48KHz
    Bit rate: 8 kbps to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo channels and joint stereo.
    Artist, track title and length are displayed for the following languages: English, Czech, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Finnish and Swedish. Other languages may display correctly if the only used characters available in a supported language.

AAC:
    MPEG2 and MPEG4 AAC-LC and HE-AACv2 are supported.
    Sample rate: up to 48KHz
    Bit rate: up to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo/dual mono are supported.
    Artist, track title and length for AAC is not supported.

The watch does not support files with DRM of any type. This includes offline tracks from Apple Music and Spotify.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Crandall31
    Neophyte Traveler
    Thanks for the detailed response. Look like I will have to pay for songs on iTunes as well then :(. Let's hope tomtom will one day link with a streaming site like Spotify!!
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Crandall31 wrote:
    Thanks for the detailed response. Look like I will have to pay for songs on iTunes as well then :(. Let's hope tomtom will one day link with a streaming site like Spotify!!

Unfortunately they can't with the current hardware, the watch has no Internet connection to check the licensing, much like an iPod can't play them.

Glad I could help. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.
  • Crandall31
    Neophyte Traveler
    How do you do that?
  • the-civvie
    the-civvie Registered Users Posts: 545
    Master Traveler
    Spotify music can be put onto iPods that have no internet connection. I do this all the time with Spotify on my laptop and sync a few playlists to my daughters Nano. Therefore no internet required. Cannot see it being much to add it, other than also getting Spotify to allow it and it would be a major selling point for both
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    the-civvie wrote:
    Spotify music can be put onto iPods that have no internet connection. I do this all the time with Spotify on my laptop and sync a few playlists to my daughters Nano. Therefore no internet required. Cannot see it being much to add it, other than also getting Spotify to allow it and it would be a major selling point for both

Is there a Spotify app on the iPod? Normally it will only play through their apps as the apps are what hold the license (they probably download the licenses through the app for offline use).
  • the-civvie
    Master Traveler
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    the-civvie wrote:

Is there a Spotify app on the iPod? Normally it will only play through their apps as the apps are what hold the license (they probably download the licenses through the app for offline use).

There is a way to put Spotify music onto the iPod Nano and Shuffle. I think you have to be premium and it has to be done by the Spotify app and not iTunes. For some reason, mine is not working though I see in iTunes the Nano is constantly connecting/disconnecting so I will try another cable
  • the-civvie
    Master Traveler
    I checked something and in fact you no longer cannot, I am doing so because I have an older player on my laptop :)
  • robertbw
    robertbw Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Explorer
    Really, I can't understand why this should be a problem. If you have premium spotify membership you can listen offline on various devices. You have to re-login within 30 days to validate your subscription for other offline devices, so why not on a TomTom?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    robertbw wrote:
    Really, I can't understand why this should be a problem. If you have premium spotify membership you can listen offline on various devices. You have to re-login within 30 days to validate your subscription for other offline devices, so why not on a TomTom?

Because you can only listen to Spotify on specific devices that use the Spotify app. All the tracks are DRM protected and the app is what is allowing you to listen to them. You do not own the tracks you own the right to listed to them only through Spotify. And since the watch does not support apps only music files that are not DRM protected (by law they are not allowed to play them) it cannot play Spotify.
  • robertbw
    robertbw Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Explorer
    I suppose it isn't worth the effort to make it work here as within a few years all phones will have android wear or similar. So, illegal downloads it is then. No restrictions there ;-)
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    robertbw wrote:
    I suppose it isn't worth the effort to make it work here as within a few years all phones will have android wear or similar. So, illegal downloads it is then. No restrictions there ;-)

I am not sure how much it is effort versus Spotify not licensing the app and the watch not having an internet connection to check the license status. Android watches seem to be dying out as Moto just announced they are not continuing forward with them and the Google watch has not sold well.
  • JordiRunner
    JordiRunner Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Yes, it is now possible . :D
    There is a device that has figured out the licensing issues.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/51215664/mighty-streaming-music-without-your-phone
    I funded it a while ago and it is being shipped, I even have a DHL number.
    If they can do it, TomTom certainly can too. This would be a super-cool feature, because I'm too lazy to update my playlists and it is annoying to find mp3s or buy music off the apple store. For now I have to carry this device and my tomtom watch, but It would be nice to have it all-in-one.
  • Stuart McDonald
    Stuart McDonald Registered Users Posts: 759
    Exalted Navigator
    "Android is the perfect foundation for Mighty because it natively runs the Spotify and other popular music streaming applications"

Hi, The watch is not an Android device and so it can't run Spotify, regardless of licensing issues.
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • elainecarey
    elainecarey Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I'm not sure this is possible. But you can convert Spotify to commonly supported format like MP3 with TuneFab Spotify Music Converter, I'm sure that works.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    I'm not sure this is possible. But you can convert Spotify to commonly supported format like MP3 with TuneFab Spotify Music Converter, I'm sure that works.
    Considering that using these apps constitute theft from Spotify, I really don't think that is a solution.
  • jackyyy
    jackyyy Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I am not using the runner 2 or 3 but I used Apple Watch Series 3. But it is hard to use Spotify Music with Apple Watch. IT IS DIFFICULT!
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    jackyyy wrote:
    I am not using the runner 2 or 3 but I used Apple Watch Series 3. But it is hard to use Spotify Music with Apple Watch. IT IS DIFFICULT!
    It is impossible with TomTom as Spotify does not allow it.
  • Nicoleoo
    Nicoleoo Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    I found a easy way to play Spotify Music on TomTom Watch while on the go, just using Sidify Music Converter for Spotify. Recommend for personal use only.
  • shaanrock
    shaanrock Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Oh, if you cannot break through the barrier between watch and spotify, why not try to use spotify music converter to get you favorite music downloaded to local storage.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    shaanrock wrote:
    Oh, if you cannot break through the barrier between watch and spotify, why not try to use spotify music converter to get you favorite music downloaded to local storage.
    Because this is illegally stealing music!
This discussion has been closed.