GO Mobile (Android)- No Traffic Information any more after v1.11 — TomTom Community

GO Mobile (Android)- No Traffic Information any more after v1.11

fminnefminne Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
Since the update of TomTom Go Mobile to version 1.11, I do not receive any traffic information update anymore when connected via mobile data. I still receive the traffic information via WiFi, but that is nice until 50 meters from my home :-) .
I reported this to TomTom, where they told me that the problem is on my mobile or my provider. I thought this was quite strange, since all other mobile data on my mobile is working perfectly (mail, internet, …).
As TomTom insisted, I have reset my mobile to factory default, and installed only TomTom Go Mobile v1.11, but I had the same problem: no traffic info when connected via mobile data.
Nevertheless, TomTom insisted that the TomTom-app was not to blame. I asked TomTom to deliver me version 1.10 to prove that they are right or wrong, but they answered me that this was impossible!!!!

So I had to investigate this problem more profoundly and I checked the internet to find a way to install the older version 1.10 back on my mobile.
And check: TomTom Go Mobile version 1.10 works perfectly!!!
But I forgot to disable the automatic upgrade of apps on my mobile, so the next day, the version 1.11 was again on my mobile. And as result, my traffic info wasn’t working anymore.
I can’t imagine a better proof that there is a bug in TomTom Go Mobile v 1.11.

So I informed TomTom about my proof. After 14 days I finally received an answer of TomTom, telling me that they are now waiting for other people to report the same problem before they are going to investigate this bug.

In other words: first TomTom claims it is or my mobile or my provider but surly not the TomTom app itself. Afterwards, when I am able to prove that the problem is on the TomTom Go Mobile V1.11, they are telling me that they will only investigating this problem when more people complain.
I really don’t know how I can motivate TomTom to invest in this bug and to take my problem seriously.
I don’t think it is normal that an end-user has to invest that much time and effort to prove that there is a bug in an app, and that the end-user has to inform other users via a forum to open a case at TomTom for the same problem before TomTom is willing to investigate it.
Nevertheless, if someone has the same issue, don’t be afraid and open a case at TomTom, perhaps they will do something about it!

Comments

• RGM71RGM71 Posts: 379 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    In German forum there's also a post about it, so you're not the only one with this issue:
    https://de.discussions.tomtom.com/tomtom-app-fur-android-166/keine-verkehrsmeldungen-uber-mobilfunk-980896
  • fminnefminne Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you, RGM71,

I was sure that I couldn't be the only one with this problem.
    I hope TomTom is going to de something about it now.

Regards, Frank.
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    I don't think that two cases will accelerate TomTom's activities so much.
  • TiberTiber Posts: 42 [Legendary Explorer]
    Yes, I have the same annoying problem with 1.11 (Android). Arrrgh. With this version I receive no traffic information via mobile data (and the traffic icon in the Go app is crossed) while TomTom MyDrive continues to work ok (cloud icon within TT Go app is active, syncing via mobile data works ok).
    I only receive traffic information via WLAN :-(
    I think I fixed it once for a short time by doing a reset of the app, then traffic information came back for some time (or did it just display older information received via WLAN?), but soon after the problem started again and and new Resets did not help any more. I was on the road with tight schedule and roaming, now I'm back home and will try a complete uninstall/reinstall of the app.

BTW, just a vague suspicion, please let me ask a question: Do you have a VPN app installed on your phone, like Zenmate or so? No matter if you use it while navigating with the TTGo app.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this!

I'll forward this to the product team. Could you meanwhile also mention the model and OS version of your phones, please?

Cheers, Mikko
    I have a BQ Aquaris M5, not rooted, with Android 6.0.1.
    Now I removed the only 2 apps that might have some effect on the internet connection of my phone (Adblock and Zenmate VPN - just to be sure).
    I uninstalled the Go and MyDrive apps, restarted the phone and installed the Go app again, which took a long time because the map (I use Western Europe) has to be downloaded completely again.
    Result: Now the freshly installed Go app even does not receive traffic information via WLAN any more (and still not via mobile data). So the re-install made things even worse. Restart of the phone does not help. All other apps except TT Go on my phone have no problems with internet connections at all and work well.
    My old TT 1015 does receive traffic information, so I don't think there's an outage of this service in my region right now.

fminne (or somebody else), could you please tell me how to downgrade to the previous version of the Go app? I'd reall like to try because on Friday at the latest I would badly need a correctly working Go app again.
  • Griff1100Griff1100 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I too would like to downgrade to a previous version of this app. This one does seem buggy.
    Hi MikkoK,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) not rooted, with Android 4.3
    I have also another question: as you can see there is a need to inform people how to downgrade to version 1.10, so that they can continue temporarily to receive traffic information, until TomTom corrected this bug.
    Is TomTom going to deliver the official 1.10 apk-file and explication how to make use of such an apk-file?
    If not, may I explain the method how one can find such an apk-file and how to install it?

Regards, Frank.
    Regarding this problem, I see similarities with this older thread (MyDrive connection works, traffic not):
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-via-and-start-4x-5x-6x-series-go-400-5x0-6x0-5x00-6x00-mydrive-176/cloudy-with-no-traffic--978633
    It seems there never was a solution for those who had this problem on their devices. Hope we won't have to share the same bad luck with the app now.
    Update: Went back to factory settings. Installed Go app from scratch once again. Result is exactly the same as before: No problem receiving traffic information (and MyDrive sync instantly) via WLAN. Via mobile data only MyDrive works ok, but still/again no traffic information. Then I noticed: via mobile data (although its a good/fast mobile internet connection), with v1.11 it takes 2 or 4 minutes until the radar cameras on the route are finally displayed, and it takes 10 to 20 or 30 minutes until (eventually, when I'm lucky) traffic information finally comes in! I confirmed with several tests that my mobile internet connection is not slow at all - large and demanding websites load quickly without problem, download of files from internet is fast, without any problem). I already lost so much time now with this v1.11 problem. It's nearly exactly as in the unsolved older thread mentioned above, with the Go 500 devices. I really want to test with the previous app version (1.10) again, when there were no problems. Mikkok, please help this time.
    Maybe this is the solution? This is what I did now:
    In "Settings" of your Android, go to "APNs". Edit the APN of your mobile provider (which usually is auto-configured). Remove any entry there for "Proxy" and "Port". Open the menu in this screen (3 dots) and select "Save". Double-check these 2 settings really remain undefined.
    Since I did this,I receive traffic information again via mobile data, for several hours already, quickly and without problems. Hope this appears to be the real solution and the problem won't come back.
    Hi Tiber,
    Thanks for this info.
    I also removed the Proxy and Port-settings of my APN.
    Now the traffic-info seems to work in v1.11.
    Looks like the correct solution.
    I'm happy again :-)
    Hi all,

We're not able to reproduce this here so it seems like there's something going on with your mobile connections. As this might be provide specific, could also mention your mobile network provider, please?

Thanks, Mikko
    Mikkok, please have a look at the last 2 entries in this thread because we found a solution in the meantime.
    Mikkok, although I've found a workaround for this problem, maybe with the following steps you can reproduce the fact that receiving traffic information became sensitive:
    Install a VPN app on your phone, I use ZenMate (it's not a luxury to have VPN) and enable it.
    With WLAN switched on (not mobile data), the Go app will show the same symptoms as described in the beginning of this thread (at least on my phone): it does not receive traffic information any more, while MyDrive connection still works ok (traffic icon disabled, cloud icon enabled). Switch off ZenMate again, and it works.
    Hi Tiber,

I've forwarded the feedback from here to the product team. Thanks for sharing your tips! :D

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi MikkoK,
    I have never installed VPN-apps on my mobile.
    I never have changed the settings of the Mobile Data. So the Proxy and the Port were originally setup by the provider-SIM-card installation.
    Now, apparently, the Proxy and Port are not needed any more for the provider, but they are still working (all my other data-traffic is working correctly).
    Apparently, since v1.11, TomTom is dealing in a different way with the data-transmission, and apparently the data-connection is not working any longer via the Proxy and Port of the provider.
    So, it is perhaps interesting for TomTom to analyse what has been changed between v1.10 and v1.11, to see where the problem is coming from.
    OK, we have a work around, but the situation stays the same: TomTom has changed something between v1.10 and v1.11 due to which some end-users have problems with traffic-information.
    Greetings, Frank.
    Hi Frank,

Thanks for sharing your insights!

Could you also mention your provider so I can forward this to the product team for checking. As we're not getting much similar feedback this might be related to some specific providers.

Thanks, Mikko
    Hi MikkoK,

My provider is Orange Belgium (Mobistar).

Regards, Frank.
    Hi Ranks,

Thanks for the info! I've forwarded this to the product team.

In all the cases we've seen so far the issue has been solved by adjusting the settings as described here. We'll keep an eye on this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • mblesmbles Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, my problem (using v1.11 on a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - Android 6.0.1) looks similar. After programming my route from my home WIFI, traffic info was available for approx an hour. When crossing the border and using roaming for data, no traffic info was shown in Go Mobile although the data connection was available (mail, tweets etc. arrived perfectly). Numerous re-starts of the phone and fiddling around with data connection settings later, the app stopped working completely and just did not want to start. Killing the TomTom Go Mobile process and re-booting the phone did not help. Whilst driving I switched to WAZE, which immediately gave decent traffic info and route suggestions (it only cost a lot of data).

At home I had to remove the app, re-install and download 5 Gb of map data again. Looks like it's working again.

I was a big fan of my TomTom in my Renault (oem version) but this version is simply not stable and reliable.

Any hints on what bugs TomTom is solving right now to make this app more reliable? Any idea what might have caused above annoying problem?
    Hi Mbles,
    Apparently you were able to have live data for 1 hour, when connected in your own country. It seems that only the data-connection of the foreign operator gave problems, even if emails, ... were OK.
    Have you checked if the Proxy and the Port-settings of the mobile data connection were actual values (see explanation above from Tiber) when you were abroad? This could help this treat enormously.
    May I ask you in which country you had the problem? Apparently you are from the Netherlands, so I just want to know to which country you drove.

Regards, Frank.
    Hi mbles,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your feedback!

In addition to Franks advice, could you also mention the name of your provider, please?

Thanks, Mikko
  • mblesmbles Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    mbles wrote:
    Hi, my problem (using v1.11 on a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - Android 6.0.1) looks similar. After programming my route from my home WIFI, traffic info was available for approx an hour. When crossing the border and using roaming for data, no traffic info was shown in Go Mobile although the data connection was available (mail, tweets etc. arrived perfectly). Numerous re-starts of the phone and fiddling around with data connection settings later, the app stopped working completely and just did not want to start. Killing the TomTom Go Mobile process and re-booting the phone did not help. Whilst driving I switched to WAZE, which immediately gave decent traffic info and route suggestions (it only cost a lot of data).

At home I had to remove the app, re-install and download 5 Gb of map data again. Looks like it's working again.

I was a big fan of my TomTom in my Renault (oem version) but this version is simply not stable and reliable.

Any hints on what bugs TomTom is solving right now to make this app more reliable? Any idea what might have caused above annoying problem?

Hi,

driving in Italy for a couple of hours, then through Switzerland and Germany. In Germany we made a stop and started fiddling around with settings with no luck. Provider T-Mobile. Really look forward to a more stable and functionally rich app (e.g. choose outputchannel for notifications allowing to get directions from the phone's speaker while at the same time streaming Spotify or listening to radio/cd)

thx for all the good work,

Marc
    Hi Marc,

Thanks for the info! I'll forward this to the product team.

Please, start a new topic about your problem with voice instructions.

Cheers, Mikko
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0