MyDrive Connect- Downloading time too slow! — TomTom Community

MyDrive Connect- Downloading time too slow!

havovhavov Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
Downloading a new map costs at least 6 hrs. (And without installation). Downloading apps from others providers, GB's, cost some minutes. Why is TomTom so slow? I have installed this on two computers now and in both cases the same slow result.

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    Maybe try changing the default port in the Settings from 4000 to 5000. Also, might an anti-virus be interfering with proper transmission?
  • havovhavov Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for the prompt reply. I looked in TomTom Home and in My Drive Connect, but cann't find the port settings. Can you tell me where I can change the default port?

I like to whitelist the internetadress in my antivirus software. What is the adress to use?

thanks again for your time.
    Superusers
    In Settings, the second tab (Connections), change the port there and save the settings.
  • havovhavov Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for your answer.
    By now the download succeeded. The expectation is that automaticaly start the installation on the Go 5000. But it stops.
    What can cause this problem?
    TIA.
  • Kaz2000Kaz2000 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ive got the same problem on the Mac. i'm thinking of just using the mobile phone instead as that shows the traffic and is free
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

I'm sorry to hear of your updating problems!

There can be a few things causing such problems. Dhn already mentioned some troubleshooting steps. For more MyDrive Connect troubleshooting tips, please see this FAQ.

Cheers, Mikko
  • carlthomasrcarlthomasr Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    None of the settings on the Connections tab are enabled when I try to change them.
    Why isn't there a workable solution listed for this problem? This is obviously a common experience. I've been trying to download updates all afternoon, and I'm about to throw this P.O.S. in the trash and go get a Garmin. Pathetic! And to the crack experts, do NOT respond with "read the FAQ". The FAQ is even more worthless than you are! This ONLY response to any of these questions is specific instructions on how to successfully download a simple, stupid update, if that's even possible.
    Superusers
    Is your device connected to MDC when you try to change the settings?

(and no, I won't waste my time or yours with other suggestions considering how receptive you are........)
    I have given up. Just ordered a garmin. Goodbye forever "My drive Connect!" What a nightmare.
  • cusancecusance Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    please ignore all this nonsense about port numbers, anti virus software etc.
    tomTom updates are just very slow. This is a shame as the actual satnav function is the best on the market. But the updates are fed by old technology. That can be the only logical explanation. People have enough experience downloading films and other stuff to know when a download is slow. Even after download my new satnav is taking well over an hour to just update the map. Old technology.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,429
    Superusers
    Hi
    @cusance
    The changing of port numbers was removed from the MyDrive Connect setting menu shortly after MyDrive Connect became a dedicated program instead of a Browser function

Anti virus or any port monitoring can affect performance
    I used to run Bitdefender and the firewall is a right royal PITA
    I would set-up MyDrive Connect in the Bitdefender Whitelist... When I logged out MyDrive and logged back in... Bitdefender would arbitrarily decide to remove MyDrive Connect from the whitelist and block access through the firewall
    Bitdefender Support even sent a custom fix to install but nothing worked for me

I now use Avast and have not had a problem with the firewall

Also see... Download/installation interrupted"
    Are your USB ports set for power saving "USB Selective Suspend
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/mydrive-connect-apps-474/updating-go-50-update-1032403/index1.html#post1207463

My GO 5000... Home Internet Download speed 100mb/s Virgin Fibre
    Full Europe Map v1005... 45/50 Mins

GO 520/620 (Wi-Fi)... My Wi-Fi over Virgin Super Hub 40mb/s
    So I updated Full Europe Map v1005... Over USB... 24 Mins
    The NAV5 Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download then Upload/Install

ATB YFM
  • lttltt Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It is so funny that there are thousands of posts about this, and people pretend to troubleshoot as if it is this one user's problem.

I've been using TomToms for years with multiple devices and computers, and it is ALWAYS a nightmare to update.

I have 200 mbps internet connection, and I am currently in the middle of an hour plus download that should take 30 seconds.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ltt
    The Full Europe map is as near as dammit 8GB, in 30Seconds.... Dream on

ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan

200 mbps x 30 seconds = 6gb

So let's dream for 40 seconds for your Europe map.
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ltt
    Well there's the Dream world and the Real world....
    Many users haven't the luxury of 100/200 Mbps connections, top-end PCs and Laptops
    Many rely on Ancient or Mid Range PC's and Laptops, slow Internet connection speeds or WiFi with appallingly unreliable and slow download speeds
    The NAV5 devices avoid the Download... Transfer over USB... /Decompress & Install of the NAV3/4 devices, by updating on the fly
    The recent versions MYDrive Connect allow the download of the file in the background to your PC for the installing on the NAV3/4 devices at a later convenient time

Even with a 100/200 Mbps connection I can't see anyone ever thinking, I know I've got 40 Seconds before I set of for work maybe I'll update my Phone, or My PC, or My Tomtom

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Even with a 100/200 Mbps connection I can't see anyone ever thinking, I know I've got 40 Seconds before I set of for work maybe I'll update my Phone, or My PC, or My Tomtom

ATB YFM

This is like saying, "even though I know I can take a shower in 5 minutes, I can't see anyone ever thinking they can take a TomTom shower before work, because it is fine if it takes takes 6 hours, because they can do it in the background."
    Superusers
    MyDrive Connect works fine for me...
    My GO 5000... Home Internet Download speed 100mb/s Virgin Fibre
    Full Europe Map v1005... 45/50 Mins

GO 520/620 (Wi-Fi)... My Wi-Fi over Virgin Super Hub 40mb/s
    So I updated Full Europe Map v1005... Over USB... 24 Mins
    The NAV5 Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download then Upload/Install

ATB YFM
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,418
    Superusers
    I have a 100 Mb/s fiber connexion and i can install a 7 GO map of USA/Canada/Mexico in 30mn by WiFi on my GO 6200.
  • GeodesGeodes Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    At least it downloads.... now on third attempt at updating map, gets to 98%, hangs, disappears then another window saying update device first, (now done 3 times!) and back to 98%..... repeat!
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Geodes
    If it's the 'Speed cams' You're trying to update, there appears to be a problem....
    Support are suggesting....
    Repeat the updates a few times. The speed cameras will eventually update on the device.
    If the update still fails
    Contact customer service....
    https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/travel-lounge-154/customer-support-phone-numbers-988105

ATB YFM
  • bigbig Posts: 1,628
    Superuser
    ltt wrote:
    Hi @YamFazMan

200 mbps x 30 seconds = 6gb

So let's dream for 40 seconds for your Europe map.
    I think you are confusing bits and bytes here. You likely are 200 M BITS / second and are trying to download 6 G BYTES
  • Jan.Jan. Posts: 113 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    And to add to the discussion. ISP speeds you buy will ONLY be reached if your home setup, your in house network, your LAN environment, got the picture? :wink: is suited for such high speeds, Hubs, connectors, cables etc. And ......... your system. Your computer must be configured to work with these speeds. Simple Win 10 background system processes will prevent you from optimizing the use of 100 Mb speeds and above.

So please consider all links in the chain before paying money for a fast ISP connection ... which probably will not be utilized to the full.

Oh and forget the speedtest results. It's not the connection you are using from your home.

If you want to utilize high speed downloads, one way to go is to setup a NAS box with dedicated tools. Or configure an old PC as a NAS.

Have fun.
    Superusers
    Hi
    Here's a handy online download Speed/File Size/Time calculator....
    http://www.download-time.com/

The Europe Map for my GO 5000 = 7.444 GB
    My fibre Internet Connection = 110Mb/s (Speed Test check)

Using Stopwatch to time Download Only The Europe Map... 9 Mins 48 Seconds
    Results from the download Speed/Size/Time calculator........ 9 Mins 41 seconds

aa4959a3-868d-4008-bdc0-76123997fcdc.png
    The full Download and Install, device ready to use 56 Mins 26 seconds

ATB YFM
  • usatrooperusatrooper Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Keep in mind it is only going thru a usb 1.1 cable also, which has a whopping max bandwidth of 1.5 mbps.