Spark- Strap broken — TomTom Community

Spark- Strap broken

anguus24anguus24 Posts: 32 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Hi, before my morning run today, i figured out that the strap of the watch start to broken. Something like a crack in the rubber. For now its hold, but i dont know how much time will hold... Any sugestions??
Ah, the watch has only five months of use. Its practically new.

Thanks

Comments

• jcbdiggerjcbdigger Posts: 30 [Master Explorer]
    There's a recent previous thread on this. It seems to be a recurring problem with straps. If you call local customer service they will send you a new strap. They were amazingly helpful and efficient here in the UK and I congratulate TomTom for this even if there is a frustration and disappointment with a strap that should not break in such short time!
  • ItsIllakItsIllak Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Must be the age of the rubber - happened to mine today as well... Mowing the lawn (high impact stuff, huh?)

I've sent an email to CS, hopefully they'll resolve it quickly. Lucky I wasn't in the pool or cycling when it happened - seems like it would be sensible for them to send out free straps (hopefully of different material) to prevent a bigger problem!

I'd advise everyone to inspect their straps pretty thoroughly if you've had it since launch.
  • jcbdiggerjcbdigger Posts: 30 [Master Explorer]
    Call them, I did last Thursday and had an email from UPS today to say strap coming tomorrow. Poor strap but great customer service!
  • KGB83KGB83 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had the same problem. Strap broke after only 3 months of normal use. Called customer service and they promised to send me a new one provided I send the broken one in. They claimed it wasn´t a known problem but I seriously doubt that. Lets just hope the new one is better!
  • anguus24anguus24 Posts: 32 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I`ve talk to the costumer service via email. They answer very quickly and they told that after giving some info (address, buy ticket, etc) they provide a new strap.
    I answered, and i`m still waiting.
    Here in Argentina, i had an history of bad costumer services. I wish this time is different.
  • xray79xray79 Posts: 160 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I had the same here also after 5-6 months of usage......
    Filed a ticket and called customer support here in the Netherlands for follow up. They were very quick in sending a new strap. i've thrown away the broken one. They also didn't recognize it as a common failure, but that might be a standard answer ;-)
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,400 Community Manager
    anguus24 wrote:
    I`ve talk to the costumer service via email. They answer very quickly and they told that after giving some info (address, buy ticket, etc) they provide a new strap.
    Here in Argentina, i had an history of bad costumer services. I wish this time is different.
    Your request was routed to our support team for Spain here at one of our offices in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. From here Nicolás is not able to send you a new wrist band. I can only advise you to use the contact in Argentina that Nicolás gave you in one of his replies.

Greetings,
    Jürgen
  • charlesrrcharlesrr Posts: 67 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    It happened to me and TomTom sent me a new one quickly which was awesome. I think it's from constantly removing the pod from the strap to sync the activities via USB. I now try and use bluetooth as often as possible, although that means using a 2nd old phone because it won't sync on my marshmallow one.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,166 Superusers
    charlesrr wrote:
    It happened to me and TomTom sent me a new one quickly which was awesome. I think it's from constantly removing the pod from the strap to sync the activities via USB. I now try and use bluetooth as often as possible, although that means using a 2nd old phone because it won't sync on my marshmallow one.

The watch can be docked without removing it from the band. The dock is designed to slip between the band and the watch pod. Have you updated the firmware on the watch to the latest and tried again on the Android? The latest firmware resolved most of the marshmallow connection issues.
  • charlesrrcharlesrr Posts: 67 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    It's really fiddly unless you pull it away slightly because the dock is at an angle to the pod. Before I was pulling the pod out completely, but now, I just move it enough to get the dock on easily. I still feel like the dock is going to snap every time I remove it. Comparing it to the dock on my wife's other brand ahem cough 220, it's a different world.

Yeah, I'm on the latest firmware - the main thing that fixed of note for me was the crashing bug - haven't had that a single time since, which is wonderful. My marshmallow phone syncs an activity once and then never again, unless I wipe the app and reinstall, at which point it syncs one more activity and then never again. It seems to get stuck in a loop of connecting and disconnecting just before the activity finishes transfer. It also reports number of activities as -1/0 instead of 1/1. The other phone on an older version works fine. Both are actually cyanogenmod rather than pure android, but all my other apps run without issue, including bluetooth ones.
    Jürgen wrote:
    anguus24 wrote:
    Your request was routed to our support team for Spain here at one of our offices in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. From here Nicolás is not able to send you a new wrist band. I can only advise you to use the contact in Argentina that Nicolás gave you in one of his replies.

Greetings,
    Jürgen

Hi Jurgen. That`s right, I spoke to Nicolas via email and he gave me an address and email of the contact here in Argentina, but... they dont answer. And searching in your web I found this: https://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/legal/tc/TomTom-GTC-Argentina-obv-Master.pdf
    I supose it`s the warranty conditions for my country for a product of your own. I really don`t understand. Why you have this conditions in your page if you then tells me something else...?
    Could you do something from where you are?
    Sorry for my bad english.
    anguus24 wrote:
    Jürgen wrote:
    anguus24 wrote:

Greetings,
    Jürgen

Hi Jurgen. That`s right, I spoke to Nicolas via email and he gave me an address and email of the contact here in Argentina, but... they dont answer. And searching in your web I found this: https://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/legal/tc/TomTom-GTC-Argentina-obv-Master.pdf
    I supose it`s the warranty conditions for my country for a product of your own. I really don`t understand. Why you have this conditions in your page if you then tells me something else...?
    Could you do something from where you are?
    Sorry for my bad english.
    The last time I tried (Brazil in this case) the item got stuck in customs and in the end got returned to me. Let me check internally if there's another way.
  • ReveReve Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi All, my strap of Spark (black) has also started to break... Don't know how much it will last. Really disappointing to see it breaks in such short time (in my case 6 months). Yes, I am wearing it daily, but anyway..

I was looking to buy one. But, after reading this thread, if I write to Tomtom CS could I receive a free strap in Spain?

I would like to get the Ale Brown strap, but can't find it sold separately (only buying full device). Anyone knows if and where I can buy one?

Thanks in advance
    Luis
    Reve wrote:
    Hi All, my strap of Spark (black) has also started to break... Don't know how much it will last. Really disappointing to see it breaks in such short time (in my case 6 months). Yes, I am wearing it daily, but anyway..

I was looking to buy one. But, after reading this thread, if I write to Tomtom CS could I receive a free strap in Spain?

I would like to get the Ale Brown strap, but can't find it sold separately (only buying full device). Anyone knows if and where I can buy one?

Thanks in advance
    Luis
    Hi Luis,

You can contact our support for Spain here: https://es.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/p/4062 They will send you a new wrist band.

Regards,
    Jürgen
  • ShengerShenger Posts: 23 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    My band was broken as well. Talked to Harveynorman in Australia, they will replace my watch with the band.
    Got my new band!!! Thanks!!
  • ChristoSulliChristoSulli Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My watch band broke as well. I contacted customer service via email and it took a few days to hear back. When I did they said they only had bright green in stock and sent me that (which I guess is better than nothing but I wear it all the time so I really want black). It took 6 business days to arrive and it is the wrong size. I have now been without the watch for 2 weeks and am training for a triathlon so I am pretty upset.

Also, has anyone noticed that tech companies are writing warranties for shorter and shorter periods of time? TomTom only guarantees their product for one year!
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Christo,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with our products and service. I see that you've already been in touch with Customer Service about this and they're looking into it.

I hope they can sort this out for you quickly! :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • ShizzlemanShizzleman Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I've had my spark since june and the strap as been broken for a month now. CS tells me the replacements are back order until end of novembre. They told me that the spark 3 straps are compatible with my watch so I'm hoping they don't have the same problem with quality.

I use it every day until broken and charge it by removing the strap from watch. The site only offers orange version in large for spark cardio. Verry disappointed and waiting impatiently for my spark 3 strap.
    Dear Tomtom: As expected the new band broke after 5 months of use. And NO, I´m not pulling out the watch from the strap. This time is around the middle as you can see in the picture.
    Really, I don´t know what to say. In a march I have a very important race and I really dont know if the strap will hold on till that date. Even worse, my fear is that the strap brokes in the middle of the race.
    This is very annoying, and i am very upset.
    Is there a strap that doesnt broke after 6 months for instance?
    Do i have to take care of the strap like if it made of crystal...?
    IT´S A SPORT WATCH!!!!!
    anguus24 wrote:
    Dear Tomtom: As expected the new band broke after 5 months of use. And NO, I´m not pulling out the watch from the strap. This time is around the middle as you can see in the picture.
    Really, I don´t know what to say. In a march I have a very important race and I really dont know if the strap will hold on till that date. Even worse, my fear is that the strap brokes in the middle of the race.
    IT´S A SPORT WATCH!!!!!

They are generally covered under warranty. Call Customer Support and they will replace it for you.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    anguus24 wrote:
    IT´S A SPORT WATCH!!!!!

They are generally covered under warranty. Call Customer Support and they will replace it for you.

I know. I already call the first time. Just I dont like the deja vu....
  • kent davieskent davies Posts: 91 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Hi.

Another one with a broken strap.

On the email you send to the customer support, what did you said?

Best regards,
    Hi.

Another one with a broken strap.

On the email you send to the customer support, what did you said?

Best regards,

Just pick up a phone and call them, it is much easier. They are covered under warranty so they will replace it. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact, follow the prompts, select the device and click Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).