Golfer 2- Autoshot detection not working — TomTom Community

Golfer 2- Autoshot detection not working

MvNMvN Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Golfer & Golfer 2
My watch golfer 2 does not autodetect. Can you help me. I'm a lefthanded golfer hcp 10 and watch has been on left and right hand.'.

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,302 Moderator
    Hi MvN,

Welcome to the Forum!

When you start a round and shake the watch, it should detect a swing. The watch should be worn on the leading hand, thus the right when playing left-handed: does this make a difference for you?

I would advise you to make a recovery mode on your watch to reinstall the software on it. See the FAQ here: Recovery Mode

In case the issue still persists then I'm afraid this is a case for our support team. You can find the 'Contact us' option at the bottom of this page to get in touch with them.

Regards,
    lampard
  • ickyicky Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Hi There,

If I too can add my voice to this one. My shot detection also does not work. It worked on the very first shot i made and then accidentally when I knocked my hand on something, a total of 2 times over 2 rounds. Palming to add a shot only worked rarely as well. I was drawn to this post as I too am a left hander and wondered if that had any influence. I will try the recovery mode. Do I need to be at the course just to test the detection? I did a reset and picked a course and then shook my hand around wildly but no detection? I see worrying complaints about this feature as I have the golfer 1 and this is the reason why i bought the golfer 2 as it was painful to manually score on the golfer 1!

Regards,
    Grant
  • VickerstaffjVickerstaffj Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I'm another left handed with the same problem! Can Tomtom confirm if this is a known issue related to left handers? Or should that have nothing to do with it?
    John
    They confirmed it was an issue on 12th of September hoping to have a resolution soon. I followed up on 18th of October and was told they hope to resolve it soon. The product needs to be recalled for left handers and refunded. It does not work
    Hi Icky, where did they confirm they knew of the problem related to left handers? If so, it's a disgrace if they continue to sell them without making this known! I would love to see some evidence if you have it or can point me too it, I'll be giving them some nasty feedback if you can confirm this for wasting my time and screwing up my last few rounds through playing with this damn watch! Cheers, John
    Hi John,

I did a test for them with my watch as a right hander (I used to play right handed many years ago) to prove the watch was fine and not working when I play as a left hander. This was the response to me on 12th September 2016, "Thanks for this test. Obviously we have some issue with lest handed Golfer, but as I told you we are working on it; I hope the fix will be release soon."

I followed up a month later and got this response on 18th October 2016, "The issues with the shot detection for left handers is still being investigated, we hope to have resolution soon, when we have a resolution we will let you know. I apologise for the inconvenience caused."

Cheers,
    Grant
    Thanks Icky,
    Given they know about it, it amazes me they responded to my question elsewhere in this forum by advising me to update to the latest software version and try again. I stated I was left handed, so why didn't they just inform me there is an issue and invite me to return it for a refund if I preferred! I don't want this Tomtom device or any other, if this is their idea of dealing with customer issues......
    Step in any time Lampard as moderator if anything above is incorrect.
    Device going back and it's back to Garmin for new!

Cheers,
    John
  • HansMHansM Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I got the Golfer 2 for Christmas and tried it in two rounds. There are many good points, however the current concept of the shot detection will never work reliable. For example you wear a jacket (its freezing cold in the moment) and the watch is covered for a couple of seconds by the left sleeve, a shot is recorded. It happened several times and each time I tried to cancel the shot manually. Annoying. TomTom-Developers, please implement a feature "manual shot tracking only". Can't be difficult.

Cheers
    Hans
  • JariBJariB Posts: 55 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I don't know exactly how this "covering the screen" function works technically. But somehow I've got the feeling that it requires some electrical conductance (resistance) between the edges of the frame to record the shot. At least if I have a fully dry sleeve on top of the screen it doesn't detect a shot. But immediately when there is some moisture there is also a "connection". Anyway in many situations in practice there are also issues. I think HansM's proposal for "manual shot tracking only" is good, but doesn't help as such when you have a sleeve on top of the watch face and while manual shot is recorded by covering the watch.

My workaround has been putting the watch on top of all the sleeves.

Not maybe the coolest solution but works in many cases at least if its not raining heavily at the same time :)
    Hi All,

Sorry about the delay in response!

We are sorry to hear that the Automatic shot detection on your Golfer 2 is not fully working for you, as the quality of our devices is always the top priority at TomTom. We have indeed heard from a handful left-handed players that faced the same challenge.

Although we are looking into this, we cannot yet say when we will have found a solution for this but we promise to keep you posted. Meanwhile please contact customer care so that we can find a satisfying solution.

Cheers,
    lampard
  • joel1ejoel1e Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    another disappointed left hander. Have had this watch for 3 months and it has only twice recorded a stroke! I bought it for this very functionality and now can only use for distance to the hole. A cheaper brand would have been a better option! When are Tom Tom going to fix this?
    Hi Joel, I returned mine for a full refund and bought instead the Garmin S20, having given up on the auto shot tracking. A very nice bit of kit. Further and to my amazement, when used in conjunction with their Garmin connect App, it actually did auto detect my shots even though I hadn't seen that advertised as a feature. No so good on catching putts, but every major shot was there to see on my IPhone.
    Not expecting this feature I also bought Game Golf Live at the same time. It comes with tags for each club and although you manually touch the club handle / tag to your belt before each shot, the information analysis available afterwards is amazing.
    Still, back to the Garmin S20. As I now had two systems in operation I was stunned to see the Garmin figures very closely mirrored those recorded on Game golf live. Had I known about this I would have bought the Garmin S20 on its own first, it may have been enough data for what I wanted.
    Check them out and have a look for yourself.
    Regards
    John
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,160
    Community Manager
    joel1e wrote:
    another disappointed left hander. Have had this watch for 3 months and it has only twice recorded a stroke! I bought it for this very functionality and now can only use for distance to the hole. A cheaper brand would have been a better option! When are Tom Tom going to fix this?
    Sorry to hear this. We're currently testing an update in beta that improves shot detection for left handers. It has a menu setting that allows to select which hand is leading the club. The first test results look good but I'm afraid we still need a lot more testing so it will still take some time before we can release this update.
  • BushwakaBushwaka Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just to add, I'm also a left handed golfer, and have just finished my second round with the watch. Only 2 shots were detected, and one of those was returning a club to the bag!
    I'm truly staggered you don't advise that there is an issue for left handers, like others, this was the primary reason for me buying the watch!
    Do you have any testers for the beta? I'd happily try it out and report back. If no resolution is in sight, it's going back and appropriate feedback left!
    Really disappointed.
    Community Manager
    Bushwaka wrote:
    Just to add, I'm also a left handed golfer, and have just finished my second round with the watch. Only 2 shots were detected, and one of those was returning a club to the bag!
    I'm truly staggered you don't advise that there is an issue for left handers, like others, this was the primary reason for me buying the watch!
    Do you have any testers for the beta? I'd happily try it out and report back. If no resolution is in sight, it's going back and appropriate feedback left!
    Really disappointed.
    Hi Bushwaka,

Have you seen my post here about the coming software update? Yes, we do have beta testers - also left handers.

Greetings,
    Jürgen
  • BushwakaBushwaka Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had already read your post on the software update, hence my question on the beta. Do you have an approximate time of release for the new software? And do you require any further testers, I work in software development so would be happy to do this.
    Thanks.
    Community Manager
    Bushwaka wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I had already read your post on the software update, hence my question on the beta. Do you have an approximate time of release for the new software? And do you require any further testers, I work in software development so would be happy to do this.
    Thanks.
    We usually provide beta testers with hardware and that has just happened. I can't give any indication regarding a release date since that can always slip.
  • ULLULL Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I am also left handed and the auto shot detection does not work for me. I have tried wearing it on my left or right wrists without success.
  • LeomLeom Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    The only thing that works is to turn the Watch 180 degrees around the arm, Everything is goint to be up and down, it's inpossible to use it but it's autodetect them.

Regards
    Leif
  • von-Winthervon-Winther Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Here on 24.04.2017, Auto shot detection still does not work.

I can fully connect you.

Hi von-Winther,

I've posted a response on your recent topic here, please have a look: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/golfer-golfer-2-393/sometimes-autoshot-detection-not-working-1021740

Regards,
    lampard
    Hi
    There is an error in the clock when you are left handed, the auto shot detection does not work.: