Need advice on switching from Garmin to TomTom — TomTom Community

Need advice on switching from Garmin to TomTom

stat77stat77 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Hi there, I have had 2 Garmin devices (Forerunners 305 and 620) so far that I have only used for running. I am now getting into cycling and swimming and was looking at the TomTom Multisport. My question is am I able to upload my metrics from TomTom to GarminConnect? I really like the display and mobile app that Garmin utilizes so I was thinking about switching to TomTom but still using GarminConnect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• saeefamily4saeefamily4 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Metrics directly to Garmin connect...no. I could see you getting around it by uploading to a third party site, like Strava, and then downloading the GPX file from there and in turn uploading to Garmin. IMO a lot more trouble than it's worth when Strava, Runkeeper, etc give the same info and you don't need to do all the keg work.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,644
    Superusers
    stat77 wrote:
    Hi there, I have had 2 Garmin devices (Forerunners 305 and 620) so far that I have only used for running. I am now getting into cycling and swimming and was looking at the TomTom Multisport. My question is am I able to upload my metrics from TomTom to GarminConnect? I really like the display and mobile app that Garmin utilizes so I was thinking about switching to TomTom but still using GarminConnect. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can use Tapiriik to sync between multiple platforms so you can upload to a supported platform like Strava or RunKeeper and Tapiriik will automatically sync it to Garmin Connect. However, you should definitely do some research before switching devices (read up on them on dcrainmaker.com). Garmin watches have a widely different feature set and you are swapping out more advanced features for ease of use (TT has a less customizable simpler interface and feature set). You will save money but at the cost of features possibly. In any case you should not be buying a MultiSport. The newer Spark or Runner 2 watches (they are identical in all but name) have a much more readable screen with larger metrics, along with a bunch of new features (indoor gym mode, indoor bike mode, music on the watch, custom race mode, longer battery life, etc.). It may cost you a little more but it will well be worth it for the added features and future proofing (future updates are generally only be for the latest generation of watches, the original Runners and MultiSports do not appear to be getting any more updates). Definitely do your homework before buying and buy based on what it offers today, not what may come in the future.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • graham_rgraham_r Posts: 275 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    The 620 has the ability to use a cycling mode which support speed and cadence sensors - so the only thing you would be missing is the swim mode - and honestly having switch from a tomtom to a garmin, i would go that route.

Read up on swim performance issues etc - i find the UI of garmin much better, and the best way to get data into it from a tomtom is with tapiriik as mentioned.

if you are thinking of spending the money on a tomtom multisport, i would look at something like the vivoactive HR - it has swim, cycle, run plus many other modes, and you stick on the garmin front vs migrtating or using 3rd party sync.

i still use my tomtom MS for some runs and rides, but i like the data in Connect better. Also - unless you go with one of the new models, you wont be able to use it on a trainer indoors - where the 620 you have will work.
  • arutzarutz Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had no luck with Tapiriik: the only one way to sync automatically from Tomtom Sports to Garmin Connect goes through Strava but it lacks some info (calories e.g.). The one week hassle to get it around didn’t work for me to use another 3rdparty provider as proxy (endomondo,runkeeper,mapmyfitness,trainingpeaks - no success).

The only way that works flawlessly is the usage of the IOS app RunGap.
    If you happen to have an apple device than it’s the way to go though the feature to share data between Tomtom Sports and Garmin Connect (and a dozen of other sites) costs a little monthly fee but it is worth every cent to eliminate the endless suck with manual exports or waiting for tapiriik to sync with missing data.