TomTom Bandit - Suggested Accessories — TomTom Community

TomTom Bandit - Suggested Accessories

BikerShaunHBikerShaunH Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
Like many motorcyclist I want to have my Bandit Cam with a power supply that is permanently wired on my motorcycle, therefore can I suggest the following accessories for the future, remembering that not all motorcyclists want to install a 12v power socket on their bike

1. a power lead that terminates with bare wires for connecting into the wiring loom and reduces from 12v to 5v within the lead.
2. a plastic waterproof cap that can be located on the end of the current or future power lead for when the motorcycle is left parked up and the camera removed.

what would other people like to see, I wonder!

Comments

• JaaksJaaks Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    This is a good idea. But maybe TomTom should move away from the funny proprietary power plug completely. The latest USB plugs are great and becoming more standard. This will add appeal to the product and make charging much easier
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    interesting...

I used to connect the bandit to an external battery (the type people use for phones) but yesterday realized that the contacts were completely corroded and my battery was dead... (rain when cycling and sea water when kayaking are the main culprits) :(

now trying to source an external battery that's waterproof, and can find none that's waterproof in the place it matters most: the connector part! I'll probably build one up with some electrical tape, but maybe tomtom could design one and help me with my cable management and battery attachment issues? basically up to now I managed everything with electrical tape and velcro... but I'm sure a more elegant solution can be found :P

actually thinking that the motorcycling lead BikerShaunH is describing could be combined/used as a charging cable to my waterproof battery idea... ;)
  • ReviewerReviewer Posts: 49 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    gl00 wrote:
    interesting...

I used to connect the bandit to an external battery (the type people use for phones) but yesterday realized that the contacts were completely corroded and my battery was dead... (rain when cycling and sea water when kayaking are the main culprits) :(

Not sure if this helps but I use waterproof connectors, both bipolar, bought from one of the Chinese sites. The smaller version fits the power connector that is on the Tomtom Rider 400 mount. The sturdier version has two 0,75mm vires and I use that for high power consumption like for my communication radios. They come with a short cable and you have to solder them to your power cables. I use heat shrinking tubes and self-vulcanizing tape as insulation and have never had any problems.

You usually buy them in pairs, male and female, in packets of five pairs. I haven´t saved the receipt but look for them at aliexpress.com, dx.com or similar sellers.
  • BikerShaunHBikerShaunH Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    You can connect to an external battery using the standard power cable that terminates with a USB connector, you just use a propriety rechargeable power supply, the sort they use for mobile phones and tablets, available from places like Maplins, this one is described as a 50000Mah should last a day.
  • gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    Thanks Reviewer and BikerShaunH!
    a 50000mah battery would last more than 3 days actually! the bandit's battstick is 1900mah and lasts about 3hrs ;) That's the type of thing I used, but the USB connector is now completely corroded (as well as the Bandit cable, to a lesser extent) and it doesn't work anymore (I film under the rain and at sea in a kayak, with big waves)

I tried to source a similar thing with waterproof connector, but all I can find is stuff for a gopro, or with a waterproof USB cover, meaning that if a USB cable is plugged in, it's not waterproof anymore... As Reviewer suggested, some USB connectors can be found, but that would mean soldering, sourcing a waterproof case for the battery and modifying the Bandit cable... to be honest I'm just too lazy to do all that right now

I'll build a ghetto waterproof external battery with a cheap 2200mah battery I have lying around and some tape (and some plastic bag if all fails, but there is only so much ugly I can bear :P ). I just need something splash proof, so it should be enough for now... that is until I decide I want to try to combine kayaking and underwater footage ;)
  • BikerShaunHBikerShaunH Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just had a thought, you can get waterproof cases that will take a mobile or even a tablet that will allow an earphone cable to be used. this being the case, I cant see too much trouble converting it to take a power pack and the camera lead replacing the earphone lead
  • JP_RAVENJP_RAVEN Posts: 15 [Master Traveler]
    There is a simple way to get a USB 5V supply on your bike. I have the Givi power connector and USB hub in my tank bag. It keeps all my tech gear on charge while riding. See http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/c1023-GIVI-Power-Connectors/
  • CoolhandCoolhand Posts: 52 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Accessory which should be able to also hold the Bandit on your chest (as the Garmin Virb has the same formfactor).

http://www.futurumshop.nl/garmin-virb-x-xe-borstharnas.phtml