Rattling due to moving bracket — TomTom Community

Rattling due to moving bracket

Albert69Albert69 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
I paid £266 for the Premium Camera from Amazon. I sent the 1st one back and have just had a replacement delivered.

The 1st camera had a fault where the bracket behind the battery was loose so i sent it back. Just received a replacement from Amazon and it has exactly the same issue. The bracket is loose behind the battery, can't believe it!. You can hear a rattle when your filming because the bracket moves!

Disgusted that for a premium priced camera, the camera itself has such appalling build quality.

Now i have to send the replacement camera back to Amazon and then wait 3 days for my refund and then look and buy another make of camera.

TomTom, you've let me down. Shame on you because the video quality on this camera was fantastic.

Comments

• gl00gl00 Posts: 965 [Revered Pioneer]
    Tomtom really should include that plastic clip with all cameras now that they are available: they are great at keeping the camera from rotating by accident when manipulating it, and they cancel the clicking noise issue on the cameras that have a loose bracket...

It would probably be a logistics nightmare for Tomtom, but well worth it for end users... sorry for your bad experience.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Master Traveler]
    I think it is sad that you have had the experience you had. I love my Bandit, so much better than my GoPro, and I am hoping to buy a second one soon. I do agree with gl00 that the clip hould be automatically sent to all owners, instead of waiting for people to apply
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    The Anti Rotation Clip was added to the box since the clip was released, if there's not one in the box then it's possible that this Bandit came from older stock. The new Adventure and Bike Packs all contain an Anti Rotation clip: http://tomtom.com/en_gb/action-camera/action-camera/products/tomtom-bandit-adventure-pack/ So if you buy one of those you are guaranteed to receive a clip.

Unfortunately it's not possible for us to automatically send out clips to those that want them, the TomTom Bandit is not linked to your TomTom account in the same way as the Personal Navigation Devices, so we have no visibility on who has purchased one or their address. If you provide your details to Customer Care then they can send out a clip.
  • Albert69Albert69 Posts: 7 [Master Explorer]
    I just thought I would post an update. After I made this post some 11 days ago I bought a rival camera - a Garmin Virb XE. After using it for a couple of days I sent it back to Amazon for a refund. It was appalling, as the battery life was about 40 minutes and the HD video quality was very poor.

As I said in my 1st post I thought the video quality of the Bandit was outstanding, so last week I bought a new Bandit directly from TomTom. It arrived today and although the camera still had a loose bracket at the back, it came with the infamous black clip that secures the bracket and I can report it works perfectly. The rear bracket is solid and I'm happy. If only you sold these clips on EBay or Amazon then it would certainly have made my life easier.

Anyway, in 3 weeks time I'm off to Lanzarote and I'm now looking forward using this camera to catch some great video.
  • Wide_DogWide_Dog Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Yes I agree the bracket Clip works very well, as to longevity though, it's anybody's guess. Which is why I hope they are made available in the online accessory shop soon, as I would like to buy a spare.
  • markbrachermarkbracher Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I am in South Africa, I am also battling with constant noise from rattling. Where can I get the anti rotation clip? Thanks
  • sercolanisercolani Posts: 37 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    You have to contact customer support. I did this and received the clip in very short time.
    Thanks serco, are you also in sa? I have found a way of making it almost completely stiff by using thin foam between the clip and camera body, as well as putting a small block of 1-2mm foam on the mount aswell, it makes it tough to clip on but is completely unshakeable when it's clipped.
    The mount system on the bandit is really its only weak point, they need to make it tighter on the camera side
    Thanks serco, are you also in sa? I have found a way of making it almost completely stiff by using thin foam between the clip and camera body, as well as putting a small block of 1-2mm foam on the mount aswell, it makes it tough to clip on but is completely unshakeable when it's clipped.

That's exactly what the clip you would get does; it makes the bracket extremely tight.

And I'm in Canada, so hello from Canada!
    Hopefully someone from tomtom replies so I can get one asap, hopefully it works as planned. Thanks again and great to meet a Canadian. Where in Canada are you? I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa.
    I'm from Toronto, Ontario Canada. You're now the second person I met from Johannesburg. I had a co-worker that moved to Toronto from there.

Just to confirm, did you contact customer support using the contact us form on the web site (i.e. not using the forum)? If you only left messages in the forum, I would suggest contacting them using the web site. At the bottom of the Bandit page, there is a link to "Contact" under the "Support" section. At least this is what the site looks like in Canada.
    That's great. I did contact them on the support page and received a reference number, but their response time seems very slow for a similar time zone.
  • ninomtbninomtb Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    Good evening, I solved the problem by inserting a piece of gum ...
    as per the attached photos.
  • TomTwoTomTwo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I must have received one of the older stock cameras as well, even though I bought mine last week. Ordered online from Takealot.com. The camera rattles like crazy, even after wedging in a piece of valcro between the camera body and mounting bracket. The video quality is good and sound not too bad with the anti-buffeting goatee fitted. All is marred though by the terrible rattle from the poor fitting camera mounting rings. I will be returning my camera, for a replacement model. Also no anti-rotation clip supplied in the box.
  • TomTwoTomTwo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here. The rattle is terrible. I wedged a piece of valcro between the camera body and bracket, but it doesn't solve the problem. Contacted customer support for an anti-rotation clip, but don't expect it soon, given our postal system. What can I do in the interim?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,394 Moderator
    Hi TomTwo,

Welcome to the Community!

Please get in touch with our customer support if you wish to have the Anti-Rotation Clip for your Bandit Camera. The new Adventure and Bike Packs all contain an Anti Rotation clip So if you buy one of those you are guaranteed to receive a clip.

You can click on the 'Contact us' option at the bottom of this page to Phone/Email them.

cheers,
    lampard
  • Blueyedboy68Blueyedboy68 Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    I had my bandit and bike mount replaced, installed the clip and goatee. Unfortunately the noise is still there. May I add tomtom customer service, has been very good, at dealing with the problem.