TomTom GPS with Built in Dash Cam — TomTom Community

TomTom GPS with Built in Dash Cam

AlcesterAlcester Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited October 2019 in Travel lounge
Hello there,
I have been using Tomtom for many years including my latest model a VIA 135 with Europen Maps,this has been well used and given excellent service.
However I am looking at updating to a GPS with a built in dash cam to save on screen clutter! It appears I am being directed to a Garmin! Please have you plans to bring one out? And when!
Love my Tomtom and don't want to go to Garmin.
Alcester

Comments

• RkgorriRkgorri Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, I agree. Please, make a tomtom go 6100-like device with an added camera to record the traffic. Otherwise, I'll have to go to garmin's nüvicam.

Robert
  • DozyprawnDozyprawn Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Don't buy the Garmin. Utter rubbish. I returned mine as it had been mis-sold. You have to use a full adapter (not just a lead into a USB port) because the lead is the aerial for the Traffic (no integrated SIM) and the stand will only screen mount otherwise it blocks the camera. Also you have to specify which country you want to search in for every address and some of the features require a smartphone link despite what it says on the box.
  • kurgelakurgela Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Any news about a tom-tom with the dash-cam?????
  • StevieOStevieO Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am and have been a TomTom user for many years now and and have had 3 of the top of the range devices. I am so disappointed that there is not a new device with an integrated camera. I have bought a separate dashcam at present which is brilliant. The recording of road position and speed is excellent. Surely with TomTom have action cameras in their range it would be simple to integrate the technology into the sat nav and save having the windscreen cluttered with two devices. Also when parking it would be easier to remove and store a single device. Garmin are already onto their second version of a combined device but the sat nav is not as good as TomTom.
  • miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,535
    Superusers
    StevieO i'm agree with you!
  • jkwantjkwant Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I do agree with the above. TomTom could easily add camera and G-shock sensor. They have the technology so one wonders what has happened to the inventive spirit of the founders ???
    In fact the should also add a heads Up Display with feedback from the digital car data, another technology TomTom brilliantly masters with their Curfer App. This could allow adding some important safety information. Warning for low fuel / low battery or other potential failures as well as external temperature warning etc.
    It is as if the GPS is forgotten. Just change the colour and the name of the model and present it as new.
    Hey Harrold, wake up :)
  • TamiGirlTamiGirl Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I totally agree. TomTom claim to be leaders in their field, and yet they are seriously lagging behind!
  • mundahl43mundahl43 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Agreed - an integrated dash-cam would be great - I would buy one straight away. I have used my Tomtom in the US, Canada, UK and Europe Africa etc and like the previous comment, I find TomTom the market leader but they are definitely falling behind!
    Chris
  • ImanOldieImanOldie Posts: 30 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I'm also looking to update from my 6100 as it no longer supports traffic here in Australia and I'm also in the market for a dash cam without the clutter of two separate units.
    I'm quite surprised there isn't one already. GPS and dash cams are very common these days.
    Anyone have a suitable alternative?
    I may go hard wired via an electrician.
    Superusers
    If tomtom launch a 6300 with integrated dashcam and galileo support , i will buy it immediatly!
  • ImanOldieImanOldie Posts: 30 [Apprentice Seeker]
    ImanOldie wrote:
    I'm also looking to update from my 6100 as it no longer supports traffic here in Australia and I'm also in the market for a dash cam without the clutter of two separate units.
    I'm quite surprised there isn't one already. GPS and dash cams are very common these days.
    Anyone have a suitable alternative?
    I may go hard wired via an electrician.

Problem solved.
    I just ordered an Auto-Vox M6 Dash Cam Reversing Camera and I'll get it hard wired. I'll keep the 6100.
  • Adt2612Adt2612 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just found this post because i too am looking for combined gps and dash cam. It appears that more than a year on and TomTom are not listening to users comments or keeping watch on their competitors. I am a committed TomTom user and am looking to upgrading but I need to have a combined gps/dash cam. What are TomToms plans. Do I need to finally look at another manufacturer.
    The other thing Tom Tom needs to do increase the size of the built in memory. I recently took my TT to europe and the UK. Before leaving Australia I purchased the European maps but there was not enough memory to have installed both setsof maps. I put the europe maps on the fastest available SD card but found the response time when the TT had to read from the card made te device as gps virtually useless in built up areas.
    TomTom i sincerely hop you are listening to what your loyal customers are saying but at the moment it doesn't look like it.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,363
    Superusers
    The newest models with WiFi (known as Nav5 models) have 16 gb internal storage. Usually sufficient for both Europe and USA maps at the same time.

I doubt you'll ever see a combined gps/dash cam from Tomtom but you never know...….
    Superusers
    miketorcy wrote:
    If tomtom launch a 6300 with integrated dashcam and galileo support , i will buy it immediatly!

3 months later, i haven't change my advice.
  • jak68jak68 Posts: 77 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Has anyone got any update on this topic?
    Superusers
    I'm afraid that we must wait a long time....
  • MRCASMRCAS Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Definitely agree with the requirement for Sat Nav and Dash Cam combined into one unit by TomTom. Far more useful and practical than all this lastmile connectivity for most of us. Quite surprised that TomTom haven't lead the field on this, in view of Garmin's established entry. I've had Garmin and TomTom provided by work in the past, but spend my own money on TomTom. Have 6200 in my own car and a TomTom in my work car, as as I cover 100+ miles each day. With the standard of driving seemingly declining, uninsured motorists, and cloned/fake plates, etc. along with various claims scams on the rise, it appears having a dsah cam is becoming an essential piece of kit for the responsible motorist. TomTom would seem the most logical provider of an integrated unit, so fully concur with the commenst of others in that regard, and would buy one myself without hesitation.
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    People, tomtom make good sat navs, the best. If they made a dash cam it would be total rubbish. I speak with experence of a device thats does do video recording which i had to send back. So buy a separate dashcam like a mio and keep your sat nav separate. Dashcams need to be hidden out of sight, they also need to have a rear camera, you dont hide a sat nav, its used and removed, a dashcam remains permanently fitted, and out of sight.
  • kingjohn6200kingjohn6200 Posts: 122 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited April 2019
    Oh, on the point of map size and memory type. You must fit high quality Kingston memory cards, the fastest you can afford, you wont have any problems loading maps from these microSD cards, dont buy bargain basement cards, way to slow

I have the UK and Ireland map internally, that always boots up first, I have the UK and Europe externally which also loads very fast, lots of room for internal updates and lots of room external to install other maps
  • bointonbointon Posts: 12 [Master Traveler]
    I use TomTom Go Mobile app on my phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 8) and run "Daily roads voyager" in the background as my dash cam. works fantastically . Phone mounted in a hands free screen mount. I am just waiting for the TomTom Go mobile version for Camper vans and then I'll be sorted.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0