How to cancel a started download and how to get MyDrive Connect settings back? — TomTom Community

How to cancel a started download and how to get MyDrive Connect settings back?

arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
edited January 30 in MyDrive Connect
Just successfully updated to 16.201 and then wanted to check other updates and clicked wrongly starting more download. I did not want to wait hours or do a big download before midnight (when my downloads are free) but there was NO CANCELL BUTTON ! So I quit Mydrive.

Now when I reload MyDrive the settings are greyed out so I can't clear the cache. Usual tales of woe - it now claims my device is up to date when it isn't. And I do not want to bother with the map version (v970) download I interrupted because they still have not corrected the UK road label promised fix. I am waiting for the next map update.

My fault I suppose for being so computer illiterate quitting MyDrive and clicking wrongly. Can anyone help me get the MyDrive greyed out settings to work? Surely I don't have to uninstall and then reinstall MyDrive. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• arichardarichard Posts: 319 [Supreme Navigator]
    Can anyone help ? I read a post somewhere about the greyed out settings but have searched through hundreds of posts and cannot find it
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,151 Superusers
    Call support:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    I can confirm that once the download has started there is NO CANCELL BUTTON. And MyDrive will try and continue the download even if the cache and all cookies are cleared, every time it is loaded. I had hoped that after a few days the TomTom server would cancel the download but no luck even after a week. And until it has finished the started download all the settings are unavailable.

I am going to assume that now the unwanted UK map 970 is in the cache I can delete it and wait for the next map update I want with the UK motorways properly labelled. This assumes that you can miss out a map update and still get the newest update without having to install ALL older updates first.
    Shock horror !!! Just deleted the cache but when I connected the Satnav the ----y programme started downloading the 6GB map update AGAIN. So I had to quickly exit the MyDrive programme which is the only way the customer user has to stop it. I will wait until I know the next map update is available before allowing MyDrive to run again on my computer.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Richard,

There indeed currently isn't a way for the user to stop a download load other than waiting for it to complete (succesully or failing). If you don't plug your device in for a couple of days the job will expire and you can again select the updates you want to install.

We are working on this and you'll see some changes in the future releases of MyDrive Connect :D

Regarding the map update, MyDrive Connect will always offer the latest map for download unless it's installed already.

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks Mikko

You said "If you don't plug your device in for a couple of days the job will expire and you can again select the updates you want to install."

I waited at least 5 days but it still tried to complete.
    arichard wrote:
    Thanks Mikko

You said "If you don't plug your device in for a couple of days the job will expire and you can again select the updates you want to install."

I waited at least 5 days but it still tried to complete.
    That's strange. Please, contact Customer Service. They can check in the backend what's happening.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Ian 2016Ian 2016 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Hi Mikko! I have purchased brand new start40 , when I first logged into mydrive i acctivated map update, but since it appeared to take hours to update, I had to cancel it... Now it says, that my device is updated, however it is not...! How long do I have to wait for an another new update? What should I do?
    Try clearing the cache in Settings. See if that will restart the download. Otherwise, see if support can help:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Thanx a lot for quick reply!
    Clearing the cache did not help... Do you know when can I expect the next map update? Cheers
    975 is supposedly due in August but call and see if Support can help....
    thanx again!
  • WilVer1977WilVer1977 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Dear TomTom, why isn't there a cancel button available when you start downloading for example updates? There is no option anywhere. So if you choose wrongfully, you have to wait for 49 minutes in my case, because cancelling is not an option. This is beyond my comprehension level.
    Hi WilVer1977,

Since a while now there's an option in MyDrive Connect settings to download updates in the background which makes it quicker to update your device, especially when updating maps. For more information about this, please see here.

Cheers, Mikko
  • JoeDoedelJoeDoedel Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    This is now over 1 year ago. Still no cancel button to cancel a wrongly chosen download.

Fully downloading a wrongly chosen map is not an acceptable option when you are on a metered internet connection.

@Tomtom: Please: Do something about this problem now...

(This are basic features which even should be there in a beta version :-))

When you have decided to do all logic on server side - please do it at least right...

With kind regards,

Joe
  • pk56pk56 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just spoke to customer services regarding the same issue. They say its not possible to stop the download and the only solution is to let the download run to the end, even if it means having to leave the computer on all night. Apparently its a software issue - whatever that means.