Add to "My Races" in MySports — TomTom Community

Add to "My Races" in MySports

NicopolousNicopolous Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi,

Recently bought a TomTom Spark and really like it.

One problem I can't seem to figure out: I want to add a race to "My Races" so I can, well, race against it.

However, the only way I can see how to do that is to actually do a run, then add it from the activity page, which then stores it in "My Races". Can't seem to find a way to manually add a race.

The only other way I could see how (based on older forum posts) was to create/add a run to MapMyFitness (MapMyRun), which would then sync with TomTom MySports and add it to my Activities page - from there I could add it to My Races. However, it seems as though it's now a one-way sync from TT MySports TO MapMyRun, not the other way around.

Can anyone confirm the above, or suggest a way to manually add a race? It would be an extremely useful feature.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,924 Superusers
    Nicopolous wrote:
    Hi,

Recently bought a TomTom Spark and really like it.

One problem I can't seem to figure out: I want to add a race to "My Races" so I can, well, race against it.

However, the only way I can see how to do that is to actually do a run, then add it from the activity page, which then stores it in "My Races". Can't seem to find a way to manually add a race.

The only other way I could see how (based on older forum posts) was to create/add a run to MapMyFitness (MapMyRun), which would then sync with TomTom MySports and add it to my Activities page - from there I could add it to My Races. However, it seems as though it's now a one-way sync from TT MySports TO MapMyRun, not the other way around.

Can anyone confirm the above, or suggest a way to manually add a race? It would be an extremely useful feature.

They Spark watch has a Custom Race mode, which does exactly what you want. Go into the activity screen, press down and select Training> Race> Custom. You then select the distance you want to run for and the targeted completion time and it will then race against the pace necessary to finish in that time at that distance.

The MMF linkage ended a year ago and has not been an option in a long time.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • NicopolousNicopolous Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I hadn't spotted that - pretty much what I need. Thanks :)
  • Ja DustyJa Dusty Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I'm new to the TomTom sports watch community, having received a TomTom Adventurer this Christmas. It's great so far, but I now want to set up my race pace for this weekend's Park Run. So I'm reading the forum posts and getting the impression that this race feature it not receiving the attention from TomTom that it requires, because this is a crucial feature for most keen sports people, and the option to amend your race target times on the website is just possibly so obvious that I'm shocked - being a software developer myself - as to why on earth it wasn't specified from day one! Think of it another way. Why does everybody in the entire world get 26M/5K? It makes me suspicious that the meeting to decide this feature went something like this... programmer/designer : "Shall we allow athletes to specify their own race times?" ... project manager: "Nope, we've run out of time/budget on this feature ... make it the same for everybody." ... group decision: "We'll use the mean average across the spectrum rounded to the nearest minute, and therefore it'll be of the most use to the most possible number of people (give or take), even if this is a fraction of the participants in any general starting lineup."

So I can add Training / Race / Create on my Adventurer for a 5K distance? Yes - for most 'improvers' this is good enough I would imagine. The trouble is, it isn't adequate - at least for shorter events - because I can only add it to the nearest minute. This would be okay for my half marathon target and up, but for my 5K? No. I'm now at the point on my 5K times that I'm picking off mere seconds from my PBs; going from 20 minutes to timing against 19 minutes when you're improving around your maximum potential is useless. Races need to be specified to the second (at least for the shorter races).

All talk about adding dummy events, and then post-editing, or riding around on a bicycle to hit your running target or whatever (I made up the last bit but it might work), is very clumsy. I guess I'll just have to run my next Park Run blind (hoping to get near my previous PB or better) so that it is useful as a race target, and try and stay just ahead of it on subsequent tries, adding it as a new race each time I improve will have to suffice for now (and/or hacking about with the results before updating), but it all feels like hackery for what appears on the surface to be two simple and obvious amendments, one on the watch for Training / Race / Create and one on the website for allowing editing race times.

Is there something I'm missing? Have I missed a forum post where my prayers have been answered?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,924 Superusers
    Ja Dusty wrote:
    I'm new to the TomTom sports watch community, having received a TomTom Adventurer this Christmas. It's great so far, but I now want to set up my race pace for this weekend's Park Run. So I'm reading the forum posts and getting the impression that this race feature it not receiving the attention from TomTom that it requires, because this is a crucial feature for most keen sports people, and the option to amend your race target times on the website is just possibly so obvious that I'm shocked - being a software developer myself - as to why on earth it wasn't specified from day one! Think of it another way. Why does everybody in the entire world get 26M/5K? It makes me suspicious that the meeting to decide this feature went something like this... programmer/designer : "Shall we allow athletes to specify their own race times?" ... project manager: "Nope, we've run out of time/budget on this feature ... make it the same for everybody." ... group decision: "We'll use the mean average across the spectrum rounded to the nearest minute, and therefore it'll be of the most use to the most possible number of people (give or take), even if this is a fraction of the participants in any general starting lineup."

So I can add Training / Race / Create on my Adventurer for a 5K distance? Yes - for most 'improvers' this is good enough I would imagine. The trouble is, it isn't adequate - at least for shorter events - because I can only add it to the nearest minute. This would be okay for my half marathon target and up, but for my 5K? No. I'm now at the point on my 5K times that I'm picking off mere seconds from my PBs; going from 20 minutes to timing against 19 minutes when you're improving around your maximum potential is useless. Races need to be specified to the second (at least for the shorter races).

All talk about adding dummy events, and then post-editing, or riding around on a bicycle to hit your running target or whatever (I made up the last bit but it might work), is very clumsy. I guess I'll just have to run my next Park Run blind (hoping to get near my previous PB or better) so that it is useful as a race target, and try and stay just ahead of it on subsequent tries, adding it as a new race each time I improve will have to suffice for now (and/or hacking about with the results before updating), but it all feels like hackery for what appears on the surface to be two simple and obvious amendments, one on the watch for Training / Race / Create and one on the website for allowing editing race times.

Is there something I'm missing? Have I missed a forum post where my prayers have been answered?
    You hit the nail on the head with "keen sports people". This is not who the watch is designed for, they are after casual athletes, who are going out and running for an hour or going for a walk or doing some cardio. It is a budget watch for the casual athlete, not a performance aid for the dedicated athlete and the price point and feature set reflect this.

While all your suggestions are valid, they are never going to happen considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and never even released the Adventurer in the US). I would assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over three months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I would not expect much more development and certainly not anything major, particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves).
  • Ja DustyJa Dusty Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Ja Dusty wrote:

You hit the nail on the head with "keen sports people". This is not who the watch is designed for, they are after casual athletes, who are going out and running for an hour or going for a walk or doing some cardio. It is a budget watch for the casual athlete, not a performance aid for the dedicated athlete and the price point and feature set reflect this.

While all your suggestions are valid, they are never going to happen considering TT has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices (and never even released the Adventurer in the US). I would assume at this point any updates will be limited to bug fixes (and even that may be limited - it has been over three months since the last update broke connectivity for many users and introduced battery drain issues and that is still unresolved). I would not expect much more development and certainly not anything major, particularly on the watch side (they may continue to tweak the MySports site and app, but not the watches themselves).

I hadn't done my homework, but fortunately I got over 100 (GBP) off recommended retail. I will just have to keep my fingers crossed that I don't come across any lack of software support over the next few years during my expected lifetime for this device, and hope that some of the really advanced stuff that they (Garmin) have on their Fenix 5 trickles down to their mid-range devices for when I need to replace the Adventurer (and presuming TomTom have remained out of the market). So for anybody from TomTom reading this, please offer some confidence that there will be reasonably lifetime care to existing customers from a software point-of-view. I also had a Microsoft Band (v1) and that wasn't a good device at all, so I am feeling somewhat Jinxed. But as far as the Adventurer goes it really does seem that some excellent design went into this, so it is a real bummer that commercial reasons have put it to the sword. Tesla have been making massive losses from a commercial point of view, but clearly they are looking at the long game. Have TomTom been short-sighted and made their decision on the short/medium game? Who knows.