New software v1.57.500 for the TomTom Bandit available for download

ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
edited January 27 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
We have just released Software Update 1.57.500 for the TomTom Bandit.
The Software update includes:

• The Underwater scene mode will now use the water colour and colour intensity to smoothly apply a red filter to remove blue and green colours from your video. It will perform best from depths of 0 to 15m, but works below that depth as well. This scene only gets applied when you get in water, so your footage will be great before you jump in too.

• We’ve introduced automatic gain control for both the internal and external microphones (via cable accessory) to make sure your audio is always of the highest quality in noisy environments.

• Settings for the audio input will now be remembered.

• When recording longer videos which are split in separate 4GB files, the files will be renamed so they can be recognised as part of a session recording.

• Improvements have been made to the Bluetooth Smart connectivity for Remote Control and Heart Rate Monitor.

• Other bug fixes and performance improvements have been made.

The update can be downloaded from TomTom Bandit Studio and the iOS and Android apps.

Comments

• JaaksJaaks Posts: 18 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    That is great news thanks. I really hope this update helps with the internal mic problems I am having!
    The audio is virtually useless on most of my videos thus far and I have the camera for just over a week now. Using it for various action sports and motorbike riding.
    Quick edit to ask a question as well : Does this add extra menu settings cause I just did the update and can't find any changes. Will do a test video later today and see . :P
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    Will text it as soon as it is available for download in Ireland. Now showing on either the iOS app or Bandit Studio
  • ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Thanks for reporting this, it seems the Software Update is only being received by Android users, I am talking with the team now to see if we can spot why users are not being given the update via the Studio or the iOS apps.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    Chris wrote:
    Thanks for reporting this, it seems the Software Update is only being received by Android users, I am talking with the team now to see if we can spot why users are not being given the update via the Studio or the iOS apps.

I thought it was my internet as it is horribly slow at the moment :)
  • speedyhoganspeedyhogan Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It's on Studio now :D
    You beat me to it Speedyhogan! It's now on Studio and the iOS app.
    Hi Jaaks, there's nothing new in the User Interface as these are (big) improvements to existing features.
  • halap3n0halap3n0 Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Is it possible to apply the underwater scene filter to underwater footage that was shot before the update?
    Here's a video showing the new improved Underwater Scene Mode in action

[video]
  • BanditUserBanditUser Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Great news about the mic. I'll test it over the weekend.

Does the update include a fix for the accuracy of the GPS data? When flying straight the exported track showed a zig-zag pattern. This was very prevalent when you look at the speed overlay where it shows me accelerating from 80 km/h to 200 km/h+ and back within 2 seconds or so.
    Hi BanditUser, for increased GPS accuracy on your TomTom Bandit, I would recommend connecting your TomTom Bandit to the App before every take off, each time you connect the app will copy across to the Bandit the latest QuickGPS file. If you go into the Cameras Status menu, you will see one of two icons next to QuickGPS, if it's a square with an arrow pointing down then it needs the update, if it's a tick then it has the latest QuickGPS file installed. This will improve how quickly the Bandit can link to the GPS/Glonass satellites, which will give better accuracy.
  • nickmaznickmaz Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Can we connect an external mic via bluetooth yet? Bluetooth smart connectivity should allow this.
  • ZtaaBZtaaB Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Is there going to be an option to take pictures in Wide mode too?
    No it takes the (i guess) 4:3 format, but theres no option to change that to wide like there is in the video options.
  • JChandlerJChandler Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have installed the update, but the camera keeps telling me there is a new update and then keeps installing it over and over again. Tried formatting the memory card, downloading via android app and Studio App, still no luck...
    Hi JChandler, it's possible that the update file has become corrupted during it's transfer to the camera. In this case I would recommend that you connect the Batt Stick to a PC, when you open the drive you will see the two folders DCIM and MISC next to these will probably be one or two loose files. I recommend deleting these files and then using the Bandit Studio or the Bandit App to update the Bandit one last time.
    You can check if the latest software is installed on the Bandit by going to Settings > Status > Version
  • kevinjstanleykevinjstanley Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Having been disappointed with the studio software and in particular the transfer between vid and my story, I was pleased to see that there is a update, however when I plug in mine it states it is upto date with 1.52.427 ??? the update tab is not there?
    Hi kevinjstanley, the next time you switch the Bandit on it should initiate the installation of the Software Update. When the App or Studio shows that the Bandit is up to date but shows a lower version number then the current one it means that it has copied across to the Batt Stick the update file. The update just needs to be installed.
  • skycruiserNLskycruiserNL Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Chris,

I was downloading the new update on the batt-stick via TT Studio on my Macbook, but the Studio already mentioned that my camera software was ' up to date ' . Version 1.52.427 ....
    When I put the batt stick back in the camera, it was asking if I want to install a software update. I click 'Yes'.
    Then it starts installing but around midway, the appears red lights and an alarm, showing an image to put the memory card in a PC screen?

Can you explain what is going on?

nb. I tried to update via the iOS app, but it shows version 1.52.427 with the green 'correct' sign behind it, seems up to date and no way to get an update downloaded in the app.

Thanks for helping me out!
  • dougcachedougcache Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Chris,
    I purchased the Tomtom Bandit last week and used it for the first time on Sunday. I took about 20 videos.
    I've downloaded the apps and sync to the iPhone and the studio app for the Mac.
    After testing this unit I've got to say what a MASSIVE dissappointment this product is.
    The microphone is virtually redundant and I assumed I had a faulty unit until I started reading more reviews.
    This heap of crap camera is now on eBay after less than a week of owning it. !!!
    I'll be telling EVERYONE.
  • Frenzy382Frenzy382 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I was exactly the same.....and I sold mine within 3 days....fortunately I bought it 2nd hand and at a very good price so didn't actually loose any money on it.
    However, just after I sold, there was a lot of work done on the audio and people could actually use it. I then bought another one...and there's a huge difference. I don't use an external mic, only the internal one. It's working perfectly for the motors port requirements that I have...which also requirea the GPS data.
    Are you sure it's the camera had the latest software update on there? I'm assuming you did...otherwise you wouldn't be posting. Correct lens on?

I feel your pain...but am surprised it's bad still.
    Thanks Frenzy.
    Correct lens ? I'm using this sailing on a kayak in the ocean....don't tell me the microphone is behind that waterproof lens !
    I assumed a waterproof camera would have a waterproof microphone
  • Frenzy382Frenzy382 Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Ah....yep , I think the waterproof lens blocks off the mic, so as to stop water ingress. I do this with camera no.1, thinking that as the audio was do bad with the other lens...I mst be using the wrong one.....but no, because after putting on the waterproof lens....Ithe pretty much killed all audio.
    Thanks for the heads up mate.
    It's going on eBay. I would have been better off buying the latest Samsung mobile phone for what I need.
    Cheers
    Hi dougcache, even with the Dive Lens you will still get some sound being recorded, you can hear evidence of this in the video that I posted above regarding the new improved Underwater Scene Mode.

Can you share one of the videos that you have made where no sound is recorded so we can investigate this further?
    And if possible could you provide the Camera logs. To access the logs go to Settings (any mode) > Status and then press up 5 times, they will then be saved to the root directory of the SD card.
  • skycruiserNLskycruiserNL Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Still the same issues as described in my earlier post, which now shows a black sign "modbreak" (??).
    Apparently my Bandit is unable to accept the latest software update, which I was looking forward to so much for the new Underwater Scene mode