Battery drain 1.10 on Go Mobile for Android — TomTom Community

Battery drain 1.10 on Go Mobile for Android

Ian70000Ian70000 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
Battery drain is back for me in version 1.10 with android 5.0.2. Using a charge only cable and good quality in car charger.

I will switch back to 2D maps for now to save CPU power but would like it if I could use 3D maps in the next version without so much battery drain.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Ian,

Have you tried the power saving options?

Cheers, Mikko
  • Ian70000Ian70000 Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi Mikko, Yes I have tried both and this was with the most intensive power saving mode enabled.
  • JL MonteroJL Montero Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Hi,

I can confirm same problem, either with original wall charger or car charger (both charge the phone at max speed while not using the phone)... I can't charge phone while using Tomtom GO, with saving battery option set to max. I'm using 1.10 in a Nexus 5X with Marshmallow 6.0.1. I hadn't this problem with my nexus 5, which I've used till 2 months ago.

Anyone here with same device and same problem? I do some long trips (+9h), and this is a serious problem... :(
  • YembleYemble Posts: 42 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I have a net battery drain on my Moto X Force (MM 6.01) using a 2.1A in car charger when running TT.

By upgrading to a 2.4A charger (RAVPower iSmart) the phone seems to have reached an equilibrium whereby it neither charges, nor discharges when running TT. Obviously, the screen is sucking most of the power, but TT is clearly a battery hog as well.
    In my case is clearly TT battery drain, as I can use my phone (I can play, I can navigate or use fb) while charging, and it charges with no problem... It's when I launch TT that it's completely impossible to charge... it slowly discharges, no matter what I do.
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback!

Can you try and see if the v1.11 we released yesterday helps with this? Also please, check the power saving settings I mentioned earlier.

Thanks, Mikko
  • bri_nobri_no Posts: 39 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Can tomtom support a black theme for us AMOLED users? I find it saves a hell of a lot of battery and it should be quite easy for tomtom to add as it's just a theme?

Is it possible to also add an option to dim the screen in between alerts? Not sure if latest android can allow that but if we can limit the display output that would help alot.
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback!

Can you try and see if the v1.11 we released yesterday helps with this? Also please, check the power saving settings I mentioned earlier.

Thanks, Mikko
    Same issue with 1.11... and power saving configured at max saving.
    Finally it seems that Nexus 5X is having general problems to get charged while screen is on and you're using the phone, no matter what you do. So it's not Tomtom problem.

Sorry to bother you with a non Tomtom related problem.

Thanks anyway!
  • Sander G.Sander G. Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    On my Galaxy S6, the GO Mobile app is installed. It appears to be always running in the background, even though use it less than once per week, and a reboot does not help since it seems to restart itself.

I have done some research and it appears to be using the most battery of all non-inactive apps on my phone. I tested this with the Carat app (http://carat.cs.helsinki.fi/). This screenshot is from noon; in the evening the difference is more visible.
    Hopefully the background battery usage can be minimized in the future.
    Hi Sander,

Do you have the Run in background [user manual] enabled? Do you also see the GO Mobile icon in the top bar? Also make sure to clear any route you might've planned before closing the app.

If these don't help you solve the issue, I'd recommend you to re-install the app.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Jirka47Jirka47 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have the battery drain problem on my Lenovo s90. My phone is discharging even on 2.1A charger during navigation. :(
    Hi Jirka,

Welcome to the forum!

Please, try the power saving options I mention above.

Should that not help you solve the issue, please contact Customer Service for further assistance.

Cheers, Mikko
    I think that a lot of these problems are to do with the charging technology used within modern smart phones and tablets. All in-car chargers and cables are NOT the same. A device which has Quick Charge technology is not the same as one with iSmart technology, etc. If you do not match the technology of your charger with that of your phone, then its charging rate will default to the lowest common denominator, ie. 1.1A max, which IS NOT ENOUGH to sustain TomTom running with the screen on.

If you do match the charger to the phone AND use a decent high power cable (20AWG), you will get the higher charging rates that your phone is designed for (eg. Turbo Charging mode for Moto X phones), in excess of 2.4A. This IS enough to sustain TomTom with the screen on and it will charge your battery as well.

For Moto X Force / Play / Style phones (and other Quick Charge 2.0 / 3.0 devices), check out the Tronsmart QC 3.0 in-car chargers. I can confirm that they DO work with TT and charge the battery in Turbo mode at the same time. Make sure you get a decent 20AWG data cable (NOT charge-only!!!) if running over 1m length.

I have also found that using a matched in-car charger also prevents the battery from over heating when running TT. My phone now just gets warm, rather than hot, even though the battery is charging quickly compared with, not at all, on my previous charger, which was on the wrong technology (iSmart rather than QC).

You can verify the charging rate and cable quality with the excellent Ampere app on PlayStore.
  • lneamlneam Posts: 77 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    If some one want to know when charging, the level of voltage and ampere from charger there is only one solution, Hardware meter. The software meters from playstore are fake. I have test them at the same time using also a digital meter and they fail. There are at least 2 good USB meters, one cheap and one expensive. The cheap meter has low accuracy but it's OK -we are not NASA- , I am using this over 2.5 years with no problems.

Cheap meter (6 euro ebay) pics 1-2
    review link
    http://lygte-info.dk/review/USBmeter Detector UK.html

expensive meter (42 euro ebay) pics 3-5
    review link
    http://lygte-info.dk/review/usbMeter YZXStudio ZY1270 UK.html
    Yemble wrote:
    You can verify the charging rate and cable quality with the excellent Ampere app on PlayStore.

The follow text is part from description text of Ampere page from playstore ....
    "The app is not meant to be mA accurate. It is only good for evaluate which Charger/USB cable combo is working the best for you on the same device"

For my opinion, the word "excellent" is not suitable to describe the capabilities of this poor application, if same one want to measure the charging current. It's better to use USB volt/amp meter (hardware)
    lneam wrote:
    Yemble wrote:

The follow text is part from description text of Ampere page from playstore ....
    "The app is not meant to be mA accurate. It is only good for evaluate which Charger/USB cable combo is working the best for you on the same device"

For my opinion, the word "excellent" is not suitable to describe the capabilities of this poor application, if same one want to measure the charging current. It's better to use USB volt/amp meter (hardware)

You are entitled to your opinion, however, I stick by what I said. For the purpose of determining charging rate and cable quality, Ampere does an excellent job, all for 92p (or free if you don't mind the ads). I am not trying to sell unecessary hardware!
    Yemble wrote:
    I am not trying to sell unecessary hardware!

For me, the description "unecessary hardware" is fail. It's the only way for someone to know 100% what is going on when charging, in the car or at home.
  • otas_peotas_pe Posts: 79 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had overheating issue on My Sony Xperia Z3 since first release of TT Go and I had to use only 2D navigation screen. Now after upgrade to Android 6.0.1 there is no any trouble and I can use 3D mode without battery drain or overheating issue.
  • Mario66Mario66 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I still have overheating and loading problem on my Sorry Xperia Z3+, even with Android 6.01
    Use Quick Charge 2.0 carcharger.
    Go Mobile is useless this way; battery loses 10% on a 50km distance, with charger connected.
    Mario66 wrote:
    I still have overheating and loading problem on my Sorry Xperia Z3+, even with Android 6.01
    Use Quick Charge 2.0 carcharger.
    Go Mobile is useless this way; battery loses 10% on a 50km distance, with charger connected.

This may just be down to a poor quality cable. QC 2.0 should charge at up to 3A which is more than enough to sustain TT with the screen on, whilst also charging the battery. This is certainly the case with my Moto X Force.
  • GetThereGLGetThereGL Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    High quality cable/high rate charger only provide more charge to your phone, they do not tackle the root cause: GO Mobile app. When other navigation apps work well using the same setup, soon TomTom Go will become obsolete.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0