Sports Connect & iTunes Playlists - iMac — TomTom Community

Sports Connect & iTunes Playlists - iMac

BulbsterBulbster Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
Hi, when I try to load music to the watch using mysports connect it only recognized some of the playlists in iTunes. It appears that it is only able to see some of the standard iTunes playslists and none of the playlists that I have created. I have already changed the setting that allows iTunes to share playlists with other devices but it didn't help.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks,

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,527
    Superusers
    Bulbster wrote:
    Hi, when I try to load music to the watch using mysports connect it only recognized some of the playlists in iTunes. It appears that it is only able to see some of the standard iTunes playslists and none of the playlists that I have created. I have already changed the setting that allows iTunes to share playlists with other devices but it didn't help.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks,

Make sure the tracks are in the right format. If tracks are not in an acceptable format they will not play, nor will the playlists they are in. The watch supports the following music file types:

MP3:
    Sample rate: 16KHz to 48KHz
    Bit rate: 8 kbps to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo channels and joint stereo.
    Artist, track title and length are displayed for the following languages: English, Czech, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Finnish and Swedish. Other languages may display correctly if the only used characters available in a supported language.

AAC:
    MPEG2 and MPEG4 AAC-LC and HE-AACv2 are supported.
    Sample rate: up to 48KHz
    Bit rate: up to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo/dual mono are supported.
    Artist, track title and length for AAC is not supported.
    The watch does not support files with DRM of any type. This includes offline tracks from Apple Music and Spotify.

The iTunes library can be located anywhere on Windows. MySports Connect parses the iTunes preferences file to obtain the location of the library. However, they have found a problem with MySports Connect handling invalid iTunes XML files (the artist/track/etc. names can contain illegal XML characters which means any correct XML validator will not read the file, but iTunes will). Not all invalid characters were handled, so the iTunes Library would not be read. You can also check if the "iTunes Library.xml" file is invalid by opening it in Windows Explorer. If the last line shown does not contain the word "plist" then it is invalid (since Windows Explorer is not showing the complete file). The default location for the XML is your iTunes folder in your Music folder.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Stuart McDonaldStuart McDonald Posts: 759 [Exalted Navigator]
    Hi. The illegal XML characters problem is now handled by MySports Connect. As mentioned above DRM protected music will not be listed. To check if the tracks have DRM see this post by tfarabaugh https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-runner-2-473/cant-find-playlistsdriving-crazy-1001073?postid=1078744

Also, if you haven't already, try restarting your computer. Two users recently had this same problem fixed by this.

If neither of these help let me know and I can contact you to investigate further.
    Regards,
    Stuart.
  • Anna NymousAnna Nymous Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am having a similar problem. I create new song lists in iTunes (or delete them), and only some of them show up on the Tom Tom Sports Connect. The two apps are communicating, but only a subset of the song lists populate. I only have about a dozen playlists, so I don't think that is the problem. I have tried restarting my computer, and I checked the XML file to make sure it contains /plist. I have disconnected and reconnected my watch and restarted iTunes multiple times. If I modify the name of the XML file, no playlists appear, and so I am sure that file is being read. I am running the latest version of iTunes (12.7.3) on Windows. I have purchased ALL of my music from iTunes, and I made sure that the "Share XML library with 3rd party applications option" is selected in iTunes.