USB device not recognized — TomTom Community

USB device not recognized

SNRunnerSNRunner Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
I have been dowloading my TomTom Runner regularly after each run, but last week it would not be recognised by my laptop during a USB download - message was that USB devise was not recognised. Tried it on a different laptop with the same message. Tried a different TomTom and worked 100% with the different TomTom watch.

(While it is not downloading the data by USB there is a symbol on teh phone to show that it is charging)

Tried it with Bluetooth to my cell phone and it downloaded fine (but slow)

Any suggestions how I can get it to download again on any laptop by USB ?

Comments

• Hi. The first thing to try if you haven't already is turning your computer on and off. Assuming you have tried that then you could also try running the following program.

C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom\MySportsConnect\bin\RegistryDeviceCleanup.exe

this will remove all USB knowledge of any TomTom watch that has been connected to the computer. This means that next time you plug in a watch it will go through the process of re-installing the device driver. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Regards,

Stuart.
  • Just to double check. The MySports Connect window does not open when you connect your watch? The message about the device not being recognised is from Windows, not some kind error from MySports Connect?
    --Stuart.
  • SNRunnerSNRunner Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Many thanks for the fast reply. I have assumed the drivers may be corrupt, but did not see how to reinstall the watch. Your link will probably be what I am looking for - and will try that when I am next with the laptop in a few hours.

I did rebooting (many) times - as well as closing everything I can find that is open - but no joy. As your second question asked: NO - the MySports Connect window would not open when I connected the watch - only showed an icon on the watch to show charging.

Thanks again for the advise - will hopefully try it soon and will advise if it works.
  • nixienixie Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I had the same problem with my watch today when I connected it to attempt to get the new watch software version. In my case the watch was starting from flat so I assumed that was the issue. After it had charged for a bit I rebooted the PC and then reconnected the watch - still connection error. I then tried turning airplane mode on and low and behold the watch connected properly to the PC. My phone was in bluetooth range at this point so I wonder if there is some issue where the watch gets confused about what it is connecting too!

In summary - on the watch turn of airplane mode on and try again.
    Hi. Still not working. Every time I try connect from my laptop I get "Device not recognised" When I tried reinstalling I get "Device drivers not successfully installed"

Fortunately I can connect to my cell phone on MySports and download to there via bluetooth - but it is very slow.

Very frustrating that I can not connect via USB from my laptop.

Ideas and advise please !

Many thanks
    Further to the above - I have just had a very close look at the contacts points on the watch - and they do not look good ! The watch is 5 months old - surely this is not right ? (See attachment that s hopefully attached and clear)
  • Hi. I'm not sure how Windows gets the drivers and why it should be failing. If a different TomTom watch is working then I would expect the install to work. If you have already installed the driver and got it working for the 2nd watch then you can click the 'Skip obtaining drivers from Windows update' button during the install of the watch which isn't working. It should then use the drivers installed for the working watch.

If that still fails and the different watch is working, then I can only think there is a hardware issue. For that you would need to contact support and speak to them directly.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact Us, and fill out the web from (select the Sports Watch and the issue - doesn't matter which one) it will show the Phone Us button, Press it and choose your country for the phone number.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,770 Superusers
    SNRunner wrote:
    Further to the above - I have just had a very close look at the contacts points on the watch - and they do not look good ! The watch is 5 months old - surely this is not right ? (See attachment that s hopefully attached and clear)

That doesn't look good! I would definitely contact Customer Support and have them look at it. You may need a new watch. The center two pins are the ones used to transfer data and they are the most corroded. What are you doing with your watch that is causing this? Do you swim in saltwater or use any kind of lotion or ointment on your skin? I have used mine every day for 2+ years with no degradation of the contacts.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    I love my watch and have looked after it with care. Never been in water (swim / bath / shower etc). Don't use any lotions etc. I am 60 years old school male ! Watch has never been near any liquid other than pure sweat !
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,770 Superusers
    SNRunner wrote:
    I love my watch and have looked after it with care. Never been in water (swim / bath / shower etc). Don't use any lotions etc. I am 60 years old school male ! Watch has never been near any liquid other than pure sweat !

Very strange indeed. Definitely take it up with Customer Support. They should replace it if it is within warranty.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Chas1203Chas1203 Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I've just been experiencing the same problem (phone in range too??). I disconnected from the laptop, switched the mode to airplane and reconnected...... problem solved!!!

Love it when things are that simple :)
  • igraqigraq Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    i had the same prob and it looks like i resolved it with cleaning pins on my watch. i scratched them with sharp needle and everything is ok now
  • ToneSimmoToneSimmo Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    The same problem has occurred to me today. My desktop throws up a message saying usb not recognised. However, the watch battery is still charging! I tried restarting my desktop, still didn't work. I have tried re-installing My Sports Connect, but when it asks me to connect the watch nothing happens. All the contact points are clean.
  • KassiaKassia Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello, to solve the USB not recognized, you can try to update the driver or troubleshooting your PC, but before doing so, you must make a backup in advance in case that data my loss during the process. You can also download the Bitwar Data Recovery tool on your PC. Hope that can help you.