Suggestion - Cadence Meter

Gadzooky
Gadzooky Registered Users Posts: 5
Neophyte Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Would it be possible to add a Cadence Meter to the running module? Either setting it as a haptic feedback from the watch itself, or a beep counter through the connected headphones? A lot of products have various training methods (Interval, Timed, etc) but one of the most important aspects of running form with regards to injury prevention and running efficiency is correct foot cadence, yet few sport watches seem to allot for it. I think it would make for a great additional option.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,936
    Superuser
    Gadzooky wrote:
    Would it be possible to add a Cadence Meter to the running module? Either setting it as a haptic feedback from the watch itself, or a beep counter through the connected headphones? A lot of products have various training methods (Interval, Timed, etc) but one of the most important aspects of running form with regards to injury prevention and running efficiency is correct foot cadence, yet few sport watches seem to allot for it. I think it would make for a great additional option.

So you essentially want it to have a metronome like some other units have? I can't say I have ever seen this requested in the past so there is likely not enough demand for TT to dedicate resources to it, but the development team monitors the forums and notes requests and trends so you never know what might develop. My concern would be its impact on battery life. Having the watch constantly vibrating or beeping would really sap the battery so it would definitely limit the utility of the device for extended workouts.

I don't see why you could not do this yourself with the watch as is. I am sure you can find an audio track of a metronome at the right pace on the Internet or record one yourself, and then save it as a playlist and put it on the watch as a music track. Then simply play this track during your run and you will get the feedback through the headphones that you want.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Gadzooky
    Gadzooky Registered Users Posts: 5
    Neophyte Traveler
    Finding 60 mins of beeps at 90/minute may not be that easy but I'll try. I agree that haptic response would be a drain on the battery, but I would have thought that setting a beep notification via the bluetooth connection would be a fairly simple (and unique) function that TT could offer runners, especially ones that want to practice good running form. :(
  • gl00
    gl00 Posts: 965
    Revered Pioneer
    An alternative to the metronome could be to have running cadence as an available metric: it s already measured, but hidden (we can only have average cadence at the end...) if this was made available in zone training, it could be an advantage for people who train with cadence
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Gadzooky wrote:
    Finding 60 mins of beeps at 90/minute may not be that easy but I'll try. I agree that haptic response would be a drain on the battery, but I would have thought that setting a beep notification via the bluetooth connection would be a fairly simple (and unique) function that TT could offer runners, especially ones that want to practice good running form. :(

I think they are targeting a more casual athlete for whom the basic functions will be fine. I am not sure how many people want to listen to beeping 3 times second for an hour, I would personally end up throwing the headphones in a river. If you have metronome you can record it for a few minutes and then use processing software to loop it to the length you want and save it as an mp3. A quick google search came up with a number of sites you can download click tracks from:

http://metronomer.com/
    http://www.runningmetronome.org/running-metronome-mp3/
    http://joethedrummer.com/free-mp3-metronome-for-your-downloading-pleasure/

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Crisp image
    Crisp image Registered Users Posts: 4
    Neophyte Traveler
    I would like the cadence to be shown on the graph on the App. I find no mater how fast I run I get a cadence of 178-182 every time. I would like to see where and if I have a faster cadence somewhere in my run. I think my run speed is set by stride length as I seem to have a constant cadence.
    Your thoughts??
    Regards
    Crispy
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    I would like the cadence to be shown on the graph on the App. I find no mater how fast I run I get a cadence of 178-182 every time. I would like to see where and if I have a faster cadence somewhere in my run. I think my run speed is set by stride length as I seem to have a constant cadence.
    Your thoughts??
    Regards
    Crispy

My Sports does not do this but other platforms do. If you upload to Strava it will give you a graph of cadence.
  • uhaish
    uhaish Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    create a mp3 file of 180 ticks per minute and play it while running . Off course you will need Bluetooth edition of the watch .