TT Spark- Cadence step/minute in Strava? — TomTom Community

TT Spark- Cadence step/minute in Strava?

jcrespin72jcrespin72 Posts: 28 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
Someone help me?
Why not my cadence of steps per minute is published in Strava?
When I finish the workout I can see this data in mySport, but not in Strava. Other watches like Garmin o Suunto do it.
Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks

Comments

  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,727
    Superusers
    jcrespin72 wrote:
    Someone help me?
    Why not my cadence of steps per minute is published in Strava?
    When I finish the workout I can see this data in mySport, but not in Strava. Other watches like Garmin o Suunto do it.
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Thanks

    It is a Strava issue in what they choose to import, the data is in the file but Strava does nothing with it. It may be because of the format it is in or some other reason. You are not doing anything wrong and there is no way to fix it. Strava and TT need to figure out who is responsible for it, but I honestly don't see that happening. getting two companies to work together to fix a problem is a useless effort in my experience, Each one just blames the other.

    I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • anditandit Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    The Garmin, Suunto and Polar watches all export the data in a way that Strava can read the cadence, see these links (below the graph click to enable cadence):

    Suunto Ambit 3 https://www.strava.com/activities/642618165
    Garmin Fenix 3 https://www.strava.com/activities/644363051
    Polar V800 https://www.strava.com/activities/619979021

    Disappointing that my TomTom doesn't do it correctly yet.
  • charlesrrcharlesrr Posts: 67 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I'd love for this to be fixed. The cadence is such a great indicator of where performance starts to degrade, especially in longer races like half and marathon. Just copying whatever format the garmin 620 or those others use in the file would surely fix it. Maybe it's just a header issue. Like one character needing changing :D
  • juliuscaesarjuliuscaesar Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Me too, it's the same as the interval lap times not showing up. Why can't TomTom use the same method of recording cadence etc in their export files that other devices/services that work do?
    Small things like this make me see my TomTom as a snack between Garmins
  • anditandit Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    An alternative to fixing the export issue would be to show cadence on the graph in TomTom MySports.

    Currently we just get one average value for the whole run. The graph can display Pace, Speed, Elevation, yet not cadence.

    Also, that one average value is made even more useless because it counts the times you weren't moving. Due to TomTom having no auto-pause, and MySports having nothing that sorts out moving from non-moving, all it takes is stopping to cross a busy road or to tie you laces and you effectively have no working cadence at all.
  • juliuscaesarjuliuscaesar Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    andit wrote:
    An alternative to fixing the export issue would be to show cadence on the graph in TomTom MySports.

    Currently we just get one average value for the whole run. The graph can display Pace, Speed, Elevation, yet not cadence.

    Also, that one average value is made even more useless because it counts the times you weren't moving. Due to TomTom having no auto-pause, and MySports having nothing that sorts out moving from non-moving, all it takes is stopping to cross a busy road or to tie you laces and you effectively have no working cadence at all.
    You're quite right that the lack of a graph in MySports should be addressed although that's a separate issue. What's frustrating/annoying is that the cadence data is there but poorly implemented in both export and in MySports
  • anditandit Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I just had a quick look through the export files for my last run.

    The TCX, PWX, GPX, CSV and KML files are human readable but I can't see any cadence anywhere. Which is probably why Strava can't show it. It also means I can't even make my own web app to show my cadence graph.

    I assume there's some more useful data in the TTBIN file but that's binary so who knows.
  • anditandit Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Oh, at the bottom of the TCX file there's:

    < StepCount > 4126 < / StepCount >

    That's it. The figure you see in MySports is that value divided by the Elapsed minutes. If that's all the watch has recorded then there's no hope for making anything useful from it.
  • juliuscaesarjuliuscaesar Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Oh, that is disappointing. As you say there may be something in the TTBIN file but I'll not hold out any hope. Thanks for the info!
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,727
    Superusers
    andit wrote:
    I just had a quick look through the export files for my last run.

    The TCX, PWX, GPX, CSV and KML files are human readable but I can't see any cadence anywhere. Which is probably why Strava can't show it. It also means I can't even make my own web app to show my cadence graph.

    I assume there's some more useful data in the TTBIN file but that's binary so who knows.

    It is in the CSV file in the far right column labelled cycles. This is the number of steps in that second. However it is rounded to a single number (no decimal, so you are essentially getting it in increments of 60 (3 cycles x 60 seconds = 180 strides/min.). But without detailed decimals you essentially get 120, 180, 240, etc. when you multiply it out.
  • anditandit Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    tfarabaugh is right, thanks for the info!

    As you say, without the decimal we can't do a per-second graph because it would just be making jumps of 60. But we could average it out over several seconds. I just calculated mine over each kilometre, it's not going to be incredibly precise but it's still pretty neat to see my cadence for each KM split.

    I think maybe I didn't notice that cycles column because on mine it just shows 0 for the first several rows. After the zeros it shows a higher number, and then it sets into 2's, 3's and 4's as you would expect. So maybe I could group it into 10 second chunks and make a graph from that. (Or maybe something larger like 1 minute chunks, will have to test).
  • bazzer007bazzer007 Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    andit wrote:
    tfarabaugh is right, thanks for the info!

    As you say, without the decimal we can't do a per-second graph because it would just be making jumps of 60. But we could average it out over several seconds. I just calculated mine over each kilometre, it's not going to be incredibly precise but it's still pretty neat to see my cadence for each KM split.

    I think maybe I didn't notice that cycles column because on mine it just shows 0 for the first several rows. After the zeros it shows a higher number, and then it sets into 2's, 3's and 4's as you would expect. So maybe I could group it into 10 second chunks and make a graph from that. (Or maybe something larger like 1 minute chunks, will have to test).
    This is what I did. The TT records everything on a per second basis, so it doesn't really make sense to have a fractional number of steps per second. I guess it just records how many steps you completed in the previous second (and it takes a few to get the rhythm?), I just take a rolling average. I'm yet to figure out the best period though, too long = too smooth, too short = too volatile.
  • DiegogbDiegogb Posts: 10 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hope tomtom can add this as a firmware update as it should be as easy as writing it in decimal as another field recorded in each second so we can get a graph and it can be exported to strava
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online in this Category0