Spark- syncing problems with my phone

spunkajspunkaj Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
Bought the Spark Music + cardio watch about a month back and have major syncing issues with my android phone. It just won't sync my activities even after updating to the latest version on my watch. I can't be connecting the watch everyday to my PC to view my activities so i am seriously considering returning this and buying another brand. Any suggestions on what the problem is?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,190 [Superusers]
    spunkaj wrote:
    Bought the Spark Music + cardio watch about a month back and have major syncing issues with my android phone. It just won't sync my activities even after updating to the latest version on my watch. I can't be connecting the watch everyday to my PC to view my activities so i am seriously considering returning this and buying another brand. Any suggestions on what the problem is?

The phone app should recognize a completed activity on its own, but the app needs to be open and active in the foreground and within range of the watch for the entire time it takes to sync (I find setting the watch on the phone works best). The watch does not always search for a phone so it needs to be woken up. If the app is not active it will not always find it when it is turned on. In that case I go into the Phone Options on the watch (press down from the clock) and toggle phone sync on and off and that seems to start it. You can also open the app and then press left into the tracker graphs to wake up the phone.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • EliseManEliseMan Posts: 51 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Update: I tried to approach this step by step to be able to actually find out what's wrong rather than just trying a hundred things and hoping one would help.

One of the things which I realised was the battery was fairly low when these strange '0 kCal' readings where showing. I thought the HRM sensor might not get enough power and power management isn't controlled correctly, but this is not the case.
    I've changed the watch yesterday, did a 90min workout with HRM only (no music), battery is at approx. 75%

Same sort of error happened this morning:
    from 3AM to 4AM the number of Kcal dropped to 10
    from 4AM to 5AM it dropped further to 1
    from 6AM to 9AM it dropped to 0

I've not yet reset the watch, will try that tomorrow.

Yet I think this is an algorithm issue. No human being is able to survive burning nothing. HRM seems to be normal (variations in heart rate visible)

Another thing I'm seeing: when opening the Mysports page, there's no possibility to show HRM. When using the back arrow to go to the day before the HRM is displayed, then click the forward arrow and HRM is visible.
  • DPIDPI Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    i have the same problem with my watch and android. they dont seem to sync. i have tried turning sync off-on but it does not work. the only way i can upload the info is to remove the app from my phone and re-install it and then reconnect the watch. that work only for a single sync though to next time i want to upload data i have to go through the same process again. it is a fairly new watch which i received as a gift so will try that approach until the novelty wears out but it wont last long :(
  • PetchyukPetchyuk Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    **SOLVED** (for me anyway). I bought my Spark 3 Cardio about a month ago and have been having the same syncing problems (only syncs once to phone after re-pairing it after removing from phone and app). I contacted customer support on the phone who recommended everything listed in the forums but none of these worked (reset watch, re-pair, re-install app etc...).

My case was elevated through the support and I got an email from someone at TomTom asking if I had any apps that use Bluetooth SMART (ie. Fitbit, Garmin Connect etc.). I found I had Garmin Connect on my phone (from an old device) and after removing this the watch works perfectly. Simply open the app and wake the watch - it's synced 100% time for the last week now! Not an ideal solution for everyone but I'm relived I don't need to keep plugging in my watch now.
  • scubasoarscubasoar Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you. That did the trick for me as well (uninstalled UP app). Syncing my watch was driving me nuts. Turning on/off sync, forgetting the watch in my phone and re-pairing, turning on/off airplane mode... sometimes it would take me 15mins F'N with the damn thing to get synced. It would say "Waiting for watch" ... it would find the watch and display "preparing to sync"... and then timeout... arghh.

Syncs EVERY time now!
    Petchyuk wrote:
    **SOLVED** (for me anyway). I bought my Spark 3 Cardio about a month ago and have been having the same syncing problems (only syncs once to phone after re-pairing it after removing from phone and app). I contacted customer support on the phone who recommended everything listed in the forums but none of these worked (reset watch, re-pair, re-install app etc...).

My case was elevated through the support and I got an email from someone at TomTom asking if I had any apps that use Bluetooth SMART (ie. Fitbit, Garmin Connect etc.). I found I had Garmin Connect on my phone (from an old device) and after removing this the watch works perfectly. Simply open the app and wake the watch - it's synced 100% time for the last week now! Not an ideal solution for everyone but I'm relived I don't need to keep plugging in my watch now.
  • DouminoDoumino Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My experience is, that the biggest probability for syncing to work, is to have the app active on the phone, have Bluetooth (of course) but also GPS turned on. This is crucial. Then I'm used to press down on my TomTom clock and pull down the app to refresh. Sometimes it works even without any refreshing, but never without GPS.
  • kh74kh74 Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    I have just discovered the easiest way to pair my spark 3 every time with my phone. Go to bluetooth settings and unpair phone. Then open sports app and it will sync straight away! (The phone re-pairs back with the watch automatically for some reason)