TomTom Spark - Silent alarm

Matt whelan
Matt whelan Registered Users Posts: 3
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi,

I have seen another thread on this topic. Was wondering if there is anything in development to use the vibration only for the alarm? Is great to be able to wake up early for a workout and not wake up my wife!

Thanks a lot!!

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Hi,

I have seen another thread on this topic. Was wondering if there is anything in development to use the vibration only for the alarm? Is great to be able to wake up early for a workout and not wake up my wife!

Thanks a lot!!

As was mentioned on the other threads, no change has been announced (or hinted at even) regarding changing the alarms. the focus seems to be on getting basic functionality (connectivity and accuracy) working, then getting promised updates implemented (phone notifications), so alarms are probably pretty far down the list. The focus other than the notifications seems to be more on the sports side of it and less on the day-to-day watch functions so I am not sure if we will see a change here. TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Olliedstuff
    Olliedstuff Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Has this feature made it onto the hit list at all yet?
    I think a lot of people would agree it would be a welcome addition as our partners and babies don't need to be woken early because we are training..... A silent alarm feature would make this OK watch into a really good watch, the lack of it is what keeps me going back to my Garmin. If the competition has the feature, it may be worth you guys having it too?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Nothing yet and they are not going to comment on planned features so it is still wait and see.
  • elbo
    elbo Registered Users Posts: 49
    Apprentice Traveler
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    the focus seems to be on getting basic functionality (connectivity and accuracy) working

Do you really think so? I see a lot of people complaining about connectivity and accuracy problems, and TomTom bragging in their releasenotes of their sports app 4.0 about synchronising stepcounts between the tomtom watch and other devices.

No word about connectivity or accuracy. If you report connectivity problems to support they suggest to remove the bluetooth connection and connect again and if that's not working do a factory reset. To me that sounds like "don't bother us with your problems".

IMHO TomTom definitely have their priorities wrong. To bad, they could have a marvellous sport device if only they could get the basics right.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    elbo wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    the focus seems to be on getting basic functionality (connectivity and accuracy) working

Do you really think so? I see a lot of people complaining about connectivity and accuracy problems, and TomTom bragging in their releasenotes of their sports app 4.0 about synchronising stepcounts between the tomtom watch and other devices.

That post is 11 months old.....
  • elbo
    Apprentice Traveler
    That makes things only worse. 11 months ago you had the hope TomTom would be busy with important improvement. You still do?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Not on the Spark as it is several years and several generations old. At some point (usually within a year or two) focus shifts to newer models and updating the more recent ones. This is pretty standard in the industry. I honestly have not seen nearly as many connectivity issues as in the past and they are often remedied through a reset or following the pairing steps in the right order.
  • elbo
    Apprentice Traveler
    I noticed that you think a factory reset is quite normal. I'm used to other devices and haven't done a factory reset on electronic devices for ages. Until I bought a TomTom.

And btw, the spark is not that old and since there is no such thing as a spark 2, the original spark is just the previous model, and still being sold.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    It is normal for these watches, I never said it was a good thing. It is the way it is and I guess I am just used to it. If it doesn't work, try a reset. Since the Spark we have seen the Spark 3 and Adventurer, so it is a few generations back. Again, just stating my opinion (which you asked for), not saying I like it.
  • elbo
    Apprentice Traveler
    Spark 3, runner 3 and adventurer is the same generation, where the adventurer is slightly better equipped.

But fair enough if you're ok with a reset now and then to keep it working.

For me the tomtom was an experiment to see if it will work for me. I really like the one device for everything approuch, but the quality is not what I have been used to with Suunto devices in the last years. Probably going to sell the tomtom and the suunto and tempted to buy a Garmin 935. I know, not comparable to tontom devices at all and probeply not to expensive for me to get everything out of it, and the garmin forum is full of complaining people.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    You are right on the generations if you look at it that way. The Adventurer is basically a souped up Spark3. In the end, I don't expect much of a watch so my expectations are lower than others and my ability to accept limitations higher. It is only a watch and I don't expect it to be perfect and can live with it for the price. I see the complaints on the Garmin forums ( a lot more than on here) and they are spending $500-$800 on their watches. For the price the TT is fine for my needs, problems and all.