TomTom GO Mobile vs. TomTom previous version (iPad) — TomTom Community

TomTom GO Mobile vs. TomTom previous version (iPad)

FredericBFredericB Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
I am quite disappointed about the new version.
I have the TomTom W. Europe app installed on my iPad. I am very happy with it and advised it to many friends.
Now I installed (for free) the new Go-version witch is, in my opinion, inferior to the old version.
This is why:
- when I want to navigate to one off my contacts, in the old version, I could simply start typing my contact's name and select.
In the Go-version I have to scroll in my (1.100) contacts. Typing is no option :(.
- I get no Speedcontrol warning (although it is set on)
- the Go-app does not work in the background. The previous one did. (e.g. when closing your iPad, you still get speedcontrol warnings, voice indications, etc.)
- I think the Go-version does not use the satellite module (build-in 4G iPad). The previous version used the satellite module continuously. You never needed mobile data (roaming). In fact you never needed a sim-card.
- When the previous version finished route calculation, there was a warning for turnpikes (toll roads). The option was to accept toll roads or not. This is now missing, unless you change your settings. (In case you want to accept/avoid toll roads you will have to change your settings each time before your route input. This is quite inconvenient, especially when driving on unknown roads.) A simple warning 'accept: yes/no' works much better.
- I do not get traffic information. (perhaps because I don't have a sim-card installed)

I think renewing an app should be an improvement.
There is still much work on the Go.

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Frederic,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with the new GO Mobile app! Please note, that it hasn't yet been optimised for iPad. For more compatibility information, please see here.

The following links might also help you:

GO Mobile app for iPhone and the old Navigation app

Planning a route with the GO Mobile app for iPhone using a contact

TomTom GO Mobile app for iPhone Reference Guide

Cheers, Mikko
  • UrielUriel Posts: 598 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    With regard to traffic info - you will need an internet connection. SIM would be an option but can you try tethering the iPad to a phone? That might get traffic working.
  • Coop42Coop42 Posts: 16 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi MikkoK

Thanks for responding to Fredric's posting.

So Fredric is correct? I have to scroll through the contacts? There's no search?

From your referenced link:

"Select a contact.
    The contact’s address is shown on the map.
    Note: If your contact has multiple addresses, all the addresses are shown on the map."

I don't think you answered his question regarding GPS vs cellular data for location (not traffic info).

Rather than linking to various documents, a yes/no might be better. Does the new App require a mobile data connection for operation?
  • FredericBFredericB Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Thank you all for responding to my post.

I've found out that the Go-app settings can activate running in the background.
    Although this will use your 'free navigation'.
    Free navigation is another part which I don't understand. Buying the old version allows you to use the app totally unlimited. Does the new app come with a limited use in kms/miles?
    With the old version you'll never have to watch out for any extra costs. (including data-roaming as this version works 100% through GPS.)

I don't really care if the Go-app is optimized for iPhone and not already for iPad. Perhaps the old version is neither. I have the old version installed on my iPhone and iPad; the main difference is a bigger screen and better speakers. So I believe my comments are valid both for iPad and iPhone.
    Maybe tethering devices is possible. But I find no need in trying this out. Using the old version is less complicated ;).

And as Mikko's instructions indicate, you will have to scroll in your contacts. Typing some first letters and selecting is no option.

Regards.
    Hi Frederic,

The subscription model of the new GO Mobile app is indeed quite different from the old app. GO Mobile can be used for free (including all maps and updates, TomTom Traffic and Speed Cameras) for 75 kilometers per month. With the Unlimited Navigation subscription the kilometer limit is removed for the duration of the subscription.

The biggest difference to the old app is the availability of maps and the including of TomTom Traffic and Speed Cameras into the subscription.

Cheers, Mikko
  • KenGordonKenGordon Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yesterday I 'upgraded' my iPad TomTom app to the 'Go mobile' version. I did this as I can not longer get annual subscriptions to traffic for the app which I paid a fair bit of money for and have been reasonably happy with.

Oh dear. On the return journey I used the old app and braved the traffic.

Although I had downloaded the map seems like if you do not have an internet connection, or only a very slow 'E' connection then searching for the destination was impossible to very poor. I actually moved my car from where I was stopped next to my house in the hope of getting a WiFi connection.

Eventually I got it to know where I wanted to go. Now, how to set a 'normal' map view. North at the top, 2D, like a paper map. Well it seems I cannot have that. I have to have the view with ahead at the top, like a 70's parody mother-in-law joke with the map turned upside down when going south.

What happened? Have all the founders and decent developers left to spend more time with their money?

I would like the annual subscription back. Then I can stay with the proper app. Apple just changed how subscriptions work. Maybe you might want to have a rethink about the business model here. Currently you will not get another penny from me. With annual subscriptions to the old app you have been getting £14 or per year for a while now. I'd buy that again today, but this 'Go' thing is really nasty.
  • tgoldtgold Posts: 2,186 [Revered Voyager]
    MikkoK wrote:
    GO Mobile can be used for free (including all maps and updates, TomTom Traffic and Speed Cameras) for 50 kilometres per month.
    Maybe that should be 75 km or 50 miles.
  • revittrevitt Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    KenGordon wrote:
    Yesterday I 'upgraded' my iPad TomTom app to the 'Go mobile' version. I did this as I can not longer get annual subscriptions to traffic for the app which I paid a fair bit of money for and have been reasonably happy with.

Oh dear. On the return journey I used the old app and braved the traffic.

Although I had downloaded the map seems like if you do not have an internet connection, or only a very slow 'E' connection then searching for the destination was impossible to very poor. I actually moved my car from where I was stopped next to my house in the hope of getting a WiFi connection.

Eventually I got it to know where I wanted to go. Now, how to set a 'normal' map view. North at the top, 2D, like a paper map. Well it seems I cannot have that. I have to have the view with ahead at the top, like a 70's parody mother-in-law joke with the map turned upside down when going south.

What happened? Have all the founders and decent developers left to spend more time with their money?

I would like the annual subscription back. Then I can stay with the proper app. Apple just changed how subscriptions work. Maybe you might want to have a rethink about the business model here. Currently you will not get another penny from me. With annual subscriptions to the old app you have been getting £14 or per year for a while now. I'd buy that again today, but this 'Go' thing is really nasty.

Very eloquently put and echoes my feelings exactly, tried TomTom Go when it was first offered but stopped using it and went back to my apps as GO is so inferior, now I can't renew my annual subscription to traffic and cameras so stuck in a quandary. Do I live with an inferior product or look for an alternative. I was hoping that TomTom would fix it but the latest update is hardly an improvement.
  • DrongoDrongo Posts: 13 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Sorry! TomTom is not that good but will never admit it... there are so many efforts it makes into finding a location but fails and misdirects... it still believes the US address system of "the corner of" and continues to get UK addresses wrong... also it can not get a house name in UK

Google maps is far superior
    Hi Drongo,

I'm sorry to hear your disappointed with our product!

Could you give some examples of addresses you have difficulties find, please? In case these are map errors you can report map errors straight to our map team with the MapShare Reporter.

Cheers, Mikko
  • FredericBFredericB Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    It's clear that the authors in this topic conclude that the 'Go Mobile' version is inferior to the previous TomTom app.
    In fact the Go-version is a serious downgrade. (only cellular data (no gps), ; tricky pay/km program,..)

TomTom is a Dutch company. I think the management is simply trying to improve their 'verdienmodel' (making-money-businessplan).
    This is not a customer-friendly policy.

I'm still happy with the TomTom app, but I've deleted the Go-version.

p.s. Mikko: If TomTom needs a serious quality consultant... You know where to find me ;).
    TomTom will not find my home address from anywhere as installed in "Drive Home"... it will not find Slug And Lettuce Pub/Restaurant in North John Street L2 using search... it will not give me alternate routes to Goodall Place L4 from my home address avoiding Mersey Tunnel... I can go on and on and on. Sorry!
    On a daily basis that allowance would not take my wife to pick up the children from school... WTF
    FredericB has got you all sussed on business model... customer service is very low on priority... SHAME!
    Sorry! Should have mentioned customer satisfaction!
    FredrickB - your services are very definately required
  • pgwbluepgwblue Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The Go Mobile app is rubbish.

I tried it again today after trying it when first published and it's still awful. And this is from someone who used to be a real fan of TomTom. Over the years I've owned 2 TomTom devices then 3 of their original iPhone/iPad apps (for 3 different regions) and have used them extensively on 3 different continents. But I won't use the new app when it's free so how TomTom expect to persuade people to pay to use it I don't know. I would rather use a paper map than their new app, it is that bad.
    Hi Drongo,

If you're not getting help from the Community here, please contact Customer Service. This sound to me like a usability issue and they can walk you through the search feature of the app. You might also want to take a look at the user manual for it.

Not getting a route to your saved home address sound like possibly a problem with the GPS reception. Please, make sure you have location services enabled on your iPhone.

Cheers, Mikko
    Sorry! I expect a Google Maps type response... is that possible? E.g., I want to go to Tai Pan Restaurant (in Liverpool where there are two) and get NO choices without a formal address!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?
    MikkoK... does anyone ever test this stuff before market?
  • nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 20 [Outstanding Explorer]
    KenGordon wrote:
    I agree that Go is horrible but you can still subscribe to Traffic with the old app. You cannot purchase an annual subscription any more but you can stack up the £1.49 monthly subscriptions. My Traffic subscription was due to end Jan 1 2017 & I just purchased 12 individual monthly subs to take it through to Jan 1 2018. Perhaps by then Go will have the same functionality as the original excellent app? OK it's slightly more expensive to buy 12 x £1.49 but it's easily worth £17.88 to me especially as I bought the original app on my iPhone 3G back in 2009.
    So!?!? Why is GO out there?
    Drongo wrote:
    So!?!? Why is GO out there?
    GO Mobile is part of a development that began in 2013 with the launch of the first NavKit based navigation devices. GO Mobile was first piloted on Android phones in Italy and released globally in the spring of 2015. Earlier this year we released it for iPhone as well.

The old NavCore software came to the end of its usable life and it wasn't possible any more to develop it to support new functions and features such as MyDrive and the NDS maps allowing incremental updates.

Moving to the new software has meant re-implementing the features and functions you're used to in the old platform. This is not a trivial matter and the team needs to make well informed decisions as to which ones are best spent the resources on. Customer feedback, e.g. here on the forum, is of course important for that decision making so keep it coming! :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi Mikko,
    MikkoK wrote:
    Moving to the new software has meant re-implementing the features and functions you're used to in the old platform. This is not a trivial matter and the team needs to make well informed decisions as to which ones are best spent the resources on. Customer feedback, e.g. here on the forum, is of course important for that decision making so keep it coming! :D

Cheers, Mikko

The problem that us the users are having is that TomTom released the GO Mobile in March 2016. It's currently November 2016 some 8 months on and GO Mobile is still basically still in Alpha test mode.

If TomTom was serious about re-implementing all of the features that customers want to see in a SatNav product then surely everything written here in this forum (for free by people who want the best SatNav) should have been taken into consideration and implemented in the 8 months of GO Mobile's public life. For the record everything that we want in Go Mobile has been mention many times in this forum. If that's not enough then try using Google or even try using some of the older TomTom products for ideas!

TomTom has lost it's way which is a sad thing for a company that does SatNav. TomTom used to be such an initiative company that produced fantastic software. Even now you still have loyal customers who have been using your products for years. However nothing lasts forever and you will lose those customers if you don't do something great very soon.

The problem TomTom has is that people assume that it has lots of money to develop the software. What we've seen with the slow development of Go Mobile would lead us to believe that you have just one developer who is part time.

I've had TomTom products for over 10 years. I see that TomTom has diversified into fitness, engine monitoring, cameras, sports, etc. However why should I spend any more of my hard earned money on other TomTom products? Based on the functionality you have removed from SatNav products indicates that future products will also have important functionality removed i.e. how do we know that in the future the sports cameras will lose the video capability and be just audio? You may laugh but third party POIs are just as important to me and TomTom has removed them from its SatNav products.

Mikko, you need to let the CEO and board of TomTom know how we feel and they need to spend some money to quickly turn TomTom GO Mobile into the number one SatNav product or just do us all a favour and get out of the SatNav business so we can concentrate on finding a better alternative to TomTom SatNav products.

Kind Regards,
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0