Faster route (green) shown in route bar, but not visible on map itself

Wegkwijt
Wegkwijt Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
edited January 2019 in Devices using MyDrive Connect
I am struggling with the Faster routes calculated while driving.

The manual says: “When you approach a faster alternative route, you get a warning in the route bar and you can see the alternative route in both the guidance or map views. To accept a faster route, just steer towards the suggested alternative route as you approach it and your device selects it. “

Yesterday I was driving in very heavy traffic and I did indeed get a warning in the route bar a number of times that a faster route was available , but the faster route was often not visible in the main map view so I was unable to actually take the faster route. For example, the existing route said take a motorway exit. I could see in the route bar that there was a faster route coming up, but I could not see where it was with respect to the exit. I took the exit and only then did the faster route become visible in the main window. The faster route was in fact to stay on the motorway which was no longer possible! This happened a couple of times and probably cost me about 20 minutes.

My TomTom was set to “Always ask if faster route becomes available” but I was not asked. I could only see that a faster route existed, not where it was.

3 questions:
- why is the faster route not shown in the map so that I can see how to take the faster route?
- if a faster route is available, how do I tell the device that I want to take it? (other than steering that way)
- how can I make sure that I am actually asked if a faster route is available?

For now, I have set my satnav to "always take faster route".

Comments

• MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Wegkwijt,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reporting your issue!

I'd first recommend you to update to the v16.102 software released yesterday.

If the issue continues, please factory reset your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

Should the issue still persists, please contact Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
  • arichard
    arichard Registered Users Posts: 319
    Supreme Navigator
    MikkoK what about the 2nd and 3rd questions of the o.p. ?
    It would be useful to have a reference link to the manual for this too.
  • terry_wagstaff
    terry_wagstaff Registered Users Posts: 31
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    MikkoK

Above, in your reply, you say if the problem persists contact customer support. I have [Reference Number: 160608-xxxxxxxx] but have still been unable to resolve the matter. Factory reset has been undertaken without any change.

In another post (about 21 days ago) you say - " That feature is not mentioned in the user manual, but it's pretty straight forward. When a faster route is found you'll get alerted in the route bar and it appears in green in the guidance view. You can then either choose to change the route from the route bar, or with a voice command, or simply drive to it once you reach the forking point."

Though I have in settings Route Planning when a faster route is available set to "ask me so I can choose" no message ever appears. Tapping the green disk on the route bar I would have expected to have seen a preview (as with other icons on the route bar) of the original route and the offered quicker route at the appropriate junction, not so. I believe that when you approach the junction marked by the green disk the map is supposed to indicate the original and alternative route and you just steer into one or the other - not so. The device gives directions (like take the 3rd exit) as the point on the map is approached with no indication (visual or verbal) whether the directions are for the original or quicker route. No green route is shown on the map view. No idea after the green disk disappears (junction passed) if I have taken the faster or slower route.

What message should alert me? How do I choose the alternative route in the route bar as you suggest? What voice command? Are the verbal directions given for the original route or the faster one?

Is there some explicit guidance somewhere about this feature? Is my device faulty?

Terry

Mod Edit: Please don't post personal information on a public forum
  • doublemp
    doublemp Registered Users Posts: 15
    Master Explorer
    I know you have a slightly different problem, but I agree the alternative routes need to be better marked. If it the green line is visible it is sometimes very small and hard to see. I think the "next turn" area should also show an alternative direction, eg. Blue arrow right, green arrow left.
  • doublemp
    Master Explorer
    ... As we can see in the second screenshot here: http://prioritydriving.tomtom.com/en_gb/
  • terry_wagstaff
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    doubleemp

Looked at that link. 221456a6-0959-4422-984d-f8a62881aaff.jpg

I have never seen that message or indication on the route bar. The link is obviously to a TomTom site and the device looks like one of their current generation.

So why does the GO 6100 not behave as demonstrated?

Terry
  • big
    big Posts: 1,712
    Superuser
    doubleemp

Looked at that link...
    I have never seen that message or indication on the route bar. The link is obviously to a TomTom site and the device looks like one of their current generation.

So why does the GO 6100 not behave as demonstrated?
    That's an old picture. I believe the "improvement" to direct us to just steer in order to select the faster route came in v15.401. (See https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/go-and-start-40-50-60-series-go-400-500-600-5000-6000-mydrive-176/new-software-15401-available-mydrive-connect-989528 ).

I much prefer seeing the alternative route on the map rather than just blindly accepting it, plus it's really difficult to find that green arrow. I suppose it was someone's pet idea to implement that rather than to fix bugs or add features people actually asked for.
  • doublemp
    Master Explorer
    I actually meant the one that's above the text "TAKE A VACATION FROM TRAFFIC /
    SMARTER ROUTE PLANNING". I'm on mobile right now and mobile forum only has a text option,so I can only copy text.

Anyway, on that pic you see on top that you have 2 arrows, one current and one faster.

I'm also driving on "steer to the alternative" mode, so some improvement in this area would be helpful.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,800
    Superuser
    In another post (about 21 days ago) you say - " That feature is not mentioned in the user manual, but it's pretty straight forward. When a faster route is found you'll get alerted in the route bar and it appears in green in the guidance view. You can then either choose to change the route from the route bar, or with a voice command, or simply drive to it once you reach the forking point"
    Hi
    My GO 5000 offers an alternate "Green route" it first appears on the Route bar as a green blob with a forked road icon alternating with the time saved... Then as I approach the avoid by steering decision point there a loud warning "Dong-Dong" sound...
    But in my opinion the warning sounds at around 3 to 4 Hundred yards are far to late, especially if you need to change lanes at a traffic island... Also as far as I recall the route doesn't turn green on the approach avoid by steering decision point

Also the verbal instructions are still as if you were using the original route (Which kinda make sense if you decide not to use the green route)
    I much prefer seeing the alternative route on the map rather than just blindly accepting it
    You can also select the route as soon as it the green blob with a forked road icon appears on the route bar, the device then shows a preview of the route with options showing the time/distance of the Original and Green routes so you can select the best route

Note..... I'm not using Voice control

AT YFM
  • terry_wagstaff
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    YamFazMan
    You say
    "You can also select the route as soon as it the green blob with a forked road icon appears on the route bar, the device then shows a preview of the route with options showing the time/distance of the Original and Green routes so you can select the best route"

This is where I started. The green blob on my device shows but I have never been able to make it do anything. (Unlike the other icons which show a preview/details when tapped.) So how, once the green blob appears, do you get it to show a preview of the options? I note that you do not use voice control.

Terry
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi

As far as I recall I just tapped the the green blob with a forked road icon that's showing on the Traffic bar (If the Icon is obscured, tap near to the Icon on the Traffic bar to expand/zooms in, then tap the Green Icon again)

ATB YFM
  • mrpj3
    mrpj3 Registered Users Posts: 132
    Outstanding Explorer
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi

As far as I recall I just tapped the the green blob with a forked road icon that's showing on the Traffic bar (If the Icon is obscured, tap near to the Icon on the Traffic bar to expand/zooms in, then tap the Green Icon again)

ATB YFM

Thanks for that. I wondered what that green blob was! There's nothing in the manual about it, unless I've missed something. The only reference I can find in the manual is around page 30. A picture shows an alternative route, to avoid traffic etc., in green but doesn't explain what that green trace is. Now I know why I never see it. Obviously replaced by the green blob. I've never heard any sort of audible notification either. I only occasionally spot it when driving because I'm not fixated on the satnav screen.
  • terry_wagstaff
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    After several factory resets and data recovery in the last couple of weeks, my device actually performed today as YamFazMan described.

Terry
  • Beoboiinoz
    Beoboiinoz Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Explorer
    I've also noticed this behaviour on my new GO620; I get the green blob, sometimes just a green circle with a white centre on the route bar 'track', and other times its a solid green with a forked route symbol in the Middle. At the same time, the red text at the top of the symbols on the route bar changes to green, rather than red, and gives a - minus figure for time, which I assume to mean time saved if I take the alternative route. But I have yet to also see an alternative route showing up alongside the standard default blue one on the guidance view, in green or any other colour. However, if I tap the green blob on the route bar, I get a map view showing the plotted route and the faster one, offering the choice. What is confusing is that I also get voice commands saying there is a faster route available, and do I want to take it, yes or no, to which I can respond either by pushing the appropriate icon, or saying yes or no with voice control. Other times, there is no voice announcement, only the green blob showing up on the route bar, which demands attention if one is to take advantage. I also think the display could be clearer with this, as when you touch the green blob to show the alternative routes, it can be quite dangerous in busy traffic situations to have to do so.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited February 2019
    Hi
    @Beoboiinoz
    Firstly....
    For an Improvement on the later/latest NAV4/5(Wifi) devices, over the default settings try.....
    Use a Computer voice ... Here In the UK either Serena or Malcolm
    Also, Try.....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    (1)... Warning Type... Set to... Read Allowed
    (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu i.e Serena UK)
    (2)... Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    (3)... The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    (4)... The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON

There is the Spoken Traffic Alternate Route warning

4289e5c6-2571-4ed2-b4a4-193a29abfe8a.jpgThere is also the feature Alternate route by steering... You may not have noticed the Green Info Blob on the Route Bar
    It's easy to miss can be hidden behind other Route Bar Icons (Tap on an Icon to expand the Route Bar)

701e396e-c2e8-4064-b45b-f5069ac8ec22.jpg
    If you Tap on the Green Blob the Preview screen opens showing the time saved and an overview of the Green Alternate route (May need to pinch Zoom-in for detail)

847b8315-1337-4494-9cbf-ebf5771f2e55.jpg
    When an Alternate route is found, a Green Blob with the time saved appears on the Route Bar (It's really easy to miss)
    Then at xxx yards before the Green Alternate route, the device gives a quick 'Dong' 'Dong' warning (In my opinion far too late to be able to change lanes etc...) at this point you are supposed to steer on to the new Green Route
    If you ignore the Green Route the device will continue along the original route
    If you follow the Green Route the driving instructions will switch to the new Green Route

ATB YFM
  • Beoboiinoz
    Beoboiinoz Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Explorer
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Beoboiinoz
    Firstly....
    For an Improvement on the later/latest NAV4/5(Wifi) devices, over the default settings try.....
    Use a Computer voice ... Here In the UK either Serena or Malcolm
    Also, Try.....
    From the main screen... Tap (.... Menu) -> Setting -> Sounds & Warnings...
    (1)... Warning Type... Set to... Read Allowed
    (Important... Needs a Computer Voice set in the Voices menu i.e Serena UK)
    (2)... Speed Cameras & Hazards... Set to ON
    (3)... The next 10 Setting ALL set to Always
    (4)... The next 4 Settings ALL set to ON

There is the Spoken Traffic Alternate Route warning

4289e5c6-2571-4ed2-b4a4-193a29abfe8a.jpgThere is also the feature Alternate route by steering... You may not have noticed the Green Info Blob on the Route Bar
    It's easy to miss can be hidden behind other Route Bar Icons (Tap on an Icon to expand the Route Bar)

701e396e-c2e8-4064-b45b-f5069ac8ec22.jpg
    If you Tap on the Green Blob the Preview screen opens showing the time saved and an overview of the Green Alternate route (May need to pinch Zoom-in for detail)

847b8315-1337-4494-9cbf-ebf5771f2e55.jpg
    When an Alternate route is found, a Green Blob with the time saved appears on the Route Bar (It's really easy to miss)
    Then at xxx yards before the Green Alternate route, the device gives a quick 'Dong' 'Dong' warning (In my opinion far too late to be able to change lanes etc...) at this point you are supposed to steer on to the new Green Route
    If you ignore the Green Route the device will continue along the original route
    If you follow the Green Route the driving instructions will switch to the new Green Route

ATB YFM

Thank you so much for that detailed and very helpful explanation. Bear in mind this is my first GPS device, apart from the TomTom app on my iPhone, which I installed after finding the likes of Waze, Google and Apple Maps a little to basic, and of little use when you have no cellular phone connection. So there is a learning curve with it, but very happy so far after a shaky start with a defective unit. I have found the voice guidance as regards offering an alternative route really excellent, as I can simply reply yes or no after the 'ding' of the voice prompt. However, as you point out, the green blob can be really easy to miss, and I wonder why I sometimes get these green blobs to alert me to an alternative route in heavy traffic, rather than the voice prompt. The last time noticed the green blob, I did tap on it and got the third screen that you have posted with the alternative routes shown. I certainly don't think there is anything amiss with my new GO620, and I run it with the route bar in 'wide' mode per settings, so as to show the maximum info with clarity, but in heavy traffic, as you say, the ding ding of the green blob occurs a little late to change lanes let alone figure out what it is indicating when you are new to it, and this particular feature doesn't appear to be covered very clearly in the user manual - so thank you again for the screenshots and explanation - very helpful. Cheers, John.