Condensation Screen RIDER 400 - Page 5 — TomTom Community

Condensation Screen RIDER 400

1235»

Comments

• lostinthestickslostinthesticks Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Hi
    I too have the condensation problem, (one of the earlier 400s) its been there from new but I now realise I was daft to dismiss it as an initial hiccup, and allowed the warranty to expire.

I guess as its such a known problem TomTom accepted it for a free repair. Unfortunately it has been retured with the same fault and a somewhat vague note on the ticket along the lines of 'fault found - repaired'. I am really annoyed having had one long trip made very difficult with the problem. Even when temporarily dried out it seems damage had been done to the working of the unit.
    I am now in discussion with TomTom and they have offered I send it to them again for repair.
    Has anyone had any success by taking a different tack following a failed repair? Is it really a case that TomTom can't get these units right and I will have to go for another brand? Are the later models perhaps any better, did they make any changes to the 410 /420?
  • Ducati749Ducati749 Posts: 10 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi
    I too have the condensation problem, (one of the earlier 400s) its been there from new but I now realise I was daft to dismiss it as an initial hiccup, and allowed the warranty to expire.

I guess as its such a known problem TomTom accepted it for a free repair. Unfortunately it has been retured with the same fault and a somewhat vague note on the ticket along the lines of 'fault found - repaired'. I am really annoyed having had one long trip made very difficult with the problem. Even when temporarily dried out it seems damage had been done to the working of the unit.

I am now in discussion with TomTom and they have offered I send it to them again for repair.
    Has anyone had any success by taking a different tack following a failed repair? Is it really a case that TomTom can't get these units right and I will have to go for another brand? Are the later models perhaps any better, did they make any changes to the 410 /420?

Hi there,
    Don't give up - I had a fairly brief note with mine, and it appears to be working perfectly - at least they have said send it back without any hesitation. Not ideal this is the 2nd time, but give them another chance.....but get someone on the phone, not just via email - seems to make all the difference.
    Cheers
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    Take a look on the the back of the unit, where the device can be charged via the USB micro port.
    When I press down the rubber lid/stopper, it won´t be tight at all:
    2e179517-8493-4a1f-be45-a98ef0c4477b.jpg

Once the rubber lid/stopper is pressed in the center, where it´s soft, things look different:
    c6a2a737-66e7-4bb1-85c1-88a702ea4678.jpg

I think, it is one of the reasons, why so many devices are getting a condensated screen :)
  • advanced.ridersadvanced.riders Posts: 15 [Apprentice Seeker]
    As you guys know I had numerous 410's replaced under warranty, eventually replaced with a 450 that had the same problem. I was supplied with a new retail packaged 450 when I returned from our European trip....went for a ride yesterday (warm day) and guess what, condensation again. So we know its not limited to refurb replacements and we know the issue hasn't been fixed with the latest model.

At the moment it would seem pointless returning the item for replacement as it won't fix the issue
  • NwbbNwbb Posts: 1
    The TomTom Rider 400 off one of our Emergency Blood Bikes was sent to Romania 3 weeks ago with the same issue, water in the screen
    I have just been emailed today after 15 emails chasing it, to say that Tom Tom have no more units & they dont know when they will get them

Our Blood Bikes are on the road 365 days a year and rely heavily on Sat Navs. Tom Toms attitude has been nothing short of appalling

Not happy at all!
  • advanced.ridersadvanced.riders Posts: 15 [Apprentice Seeker]
    My last returns were to Romania, it's a disaster, they were handled much better originally in Belgium (I think). Support calls are now handled in India so little if any help there.... I'm thinking the best option is to disassemble the unit and place in a warm dry area for 24hrs
  • Marcel van EllenMarcel van Ellen Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here... Repairs take a long time. Planning to say goodbye to TomTom.
    No it is the way the screen is glued to the case.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,249 Moderator
    Nwbb wrote:
    The TomTom Rider 400 off one of our Emergency Blood Bikes was sent to Romania 3 weeks ago with the same issue, water in the screen
    I have just been emailed today after 15 emails chasing it, to say that Tom Tom have no more units & they dont know when they will get them

Our Blood Bikes are on the road 365 days a year and rely heavily on Sat Navs. Tom Toms attitude has been nothing short of appalling

Not happy at all!

Apologies for the delay caused from our end.

I had a look at the incident you have started with the customer support and I see that a replacement device has been dispatched yesterday.

You can track the details using the website link and the tracking number provided in the email from the customer service.

Regards
    Vikram
    Received the same answer one hour ago. ??
    Let them send a new 450 then.. have a holiday this weekend and planned a tour through europe.
    No tomtom this holiday. I am p**sed!! Waiting for almost a month now!!!!!
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    Marcel Van Ellen:
    Remember, that if your device isn't reppaired and returned within a reasonable time - which in EU is considered to be 3 weeks - you are entitled to a new device or a full refund within the first 6 months of the warranty period.
    Tomtom better start making products that meet the i7x specifications instead of making colanders
  • jumper9895jumper9895 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My Rider 40 is now suffering from the same fault. Purchased in April from a dealer and the unit has never been in the rain....... bit of a fair weather rider! The dealer offers 365 day replacement or refund policy so have just contacted him.......trouble is, if I go for a different manufacturer, i’ll need to replace the lock and power feed!

Tad annoyed!
  • BroonBroon Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Read this whole thread as my Rider 410 is currently with TomTom after the dreaded misted screen appeared when I went for a ride the other day. It’s only seen rain twice since purchased in June 2016 and very disappointed that having spent a fortune on a motorcycle satnav it turns out not to be waterproof. TT say they will replace with a “factory tested unit” but having read of folks having multiple problems with replaced units I am far from confident next one won’t do the same. If it does I will be demanding a full refund as this is totally unacceptable. I live 2 miles from Garmin European headquarters and now wish I had bought a Garmin unit as I could have walked in and sounded off to them face to face if there was a problem.
    That said, TomTom customer support have been very helpful thus far but just cannot believe a company such as TT can let this happen then fail to fix the root cause of the production problem in their factory. Would certainly struggle to recommend a Rider unit to any friends thinking of purchasing a motorcycle satnav.
    So, let’s see if the replacement unit is just as bad as the original.:tired_face:
  • BroonBroon Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Update on my issue:Unit was only away for 7 days which was very impressive. Less impressive was that it was the same unit which came back to me and despite the photo of the misting problem the TomTom engineers diagnosed a “battery operating out of specification”, replaced it and sent the unit back ... well that’s really going to fix the misting problem !
    on the phone to TomTom yet again and unit now on it’s way back to Romania and I am assured this time it will be replaced.
    Whilst I cannot fault the helpfulness of the TomTom customer service thus far this whole saga is not what you expect from a big brand name like TomTom. Also assured my case has been escalated to ensure the factory addresses the actual problem they were supposed to fix this tome. Let’s see what happens ... another 1-2 weeks without my satnav.
    I would also point out that for 2 years I used a Garmin CAR sat nav mounted behind the screen on my CBF1000 with only additional weatherproofing being a piece of insulating tape stuck over the SD card slot and despite getting wet whilst touring both Ireland and Scotland it NEVER gave any problems ... and it cost 25% of the Rider 410 !
  • titterstitters Posts: 2
    I have had 4 or 5 tom tom rider 400s and then two 420s and all of them have misted up . Usually on a coolish but sunny day. Although it did the same last year on the hottest day of the year. not really suitable for purpose and may as well use a cheap tom tom in a plastic bag?
  • 996rmark996rmark Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Finally got to the bottom of this issue, lots of posts about a Rider 400x steaming up. I just replaced my 2 year old (out of warranty) 400 with a 500 as I like the operating system, but as many people my 400 suffered screen condensation in the direct sun;ight and consequent dead spots. Hopefully the new WiFi 500 will not suffer the same problem! As I have a new 500, I decided to take the old 400 apart and I finally found what caused the problem and a solution.

The problem is the glue seal (behind the black edge) of the digitiser screen and plastic frame failed in the corner. If you have a condensation problem, try pressing around the edges of the screen and with your other finger gently placed on the edge of the screen and plastic frame, see if your Rider's glass digitiser moves slightly up and down relative to the frame as mine did. This is where moisture is getting in and in the direct sunlight the screen mists up. Mine got so bad in a torrential downpour part of the screen developed a dead spot. Seems crazy that you pay a premium for a motorcycle SatNav which should be waterproof! I read that TomTom are generally good about replacement, but this can be time consuming or in my case not cost effective as mine is out of warranty.

THE FIX

The digitiser is surprisingly easy to remove. There are 4 screws on the steel clasps and 4 more at the rear of the unit - remove these and slide the metal clasps off. The digitiser and frame will come away, BUT be careful as it is attached with a fiddly wire with a clamp. Unclip the clamp carefully with a small screwdriver and your screen (including the frame) will be free of the unit. I do not know if it is possible to apply new adhesive between the glass and frame if it has failed - probably you can - but you do not want to be on a trip and this dodgy repair fails, so I got a new replacement digitiser and frame for £49.95 from SatNav Repairs https://satnavrepairservice.com/ and installed it. They do not supply instructions, but if you already removed the faulty digitiser screen, the process to install a new one is just in the reverse order and quite easy - just make sure the wire is fully home and the clip is fully clamped to hold the wire in.

Now I have a fully working 400 and a 500. The 400 has been relegated to the scooter! :grin:
  • ztech6ztech6 Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Thanks for sharing 996rMark !
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    Just Had the same condensation, loss of touch about a week ago. Took a few nights in rice, and riding in the sun. I was on a trip, and fought my route 1 afternoon because I couldn't select the 2nd part of it. Happened on a trip once in april also. Rider 400 here, thinking I'll bag it in the rain.
    Gathering there is no prevention with the current unit, say remove the trim, or adding to the sealing area, or pushing down around the trim?

Thanks all for the time
  • dcl5addcl5ad Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    edited June 2019
    I too have taken a screwdriver to my rider 400. I took the digitiser apart and unbelievably found that there is no sealant AT ALL between the outer screen and the digitiser frame. Its like they planned to have a robot squirt some silicone into the frame, but never got around to installing the thing into the factory. Utterly unbelievable.

48036943872_576a099ed8_h.jpg

Should be an easy fix though if I can get a decent syringe and big bore needle from the chemists. Drop of hylomar and it might actually be as designed.

You can see where the water has been pouring in next to the screen ribbon cable here:

48036912648_21dbad7134_h.jpg

Here I got the outer screen off & the lack of sealant is apparent. There's a smidge on the lower part of the screen, but none of it has bonded to the frame. Possibly the frame wasn't de-greased properly prior to assembly, or perhaps they were just too damned stingy with the sealant.

48036994387_fb31b7c870_h.jpg
  • GoferbikesagainGoferbikesagain Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm going through exactly the same problem, for the second time this year. I simply cannot recommend TomTom for motorcyclists.
  • PhilBakerPhilBaker Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Me too. Had the unit less than two years. My first winter it had condensation. I,ve taken it apart today and the screen literally fell out of the frame. No sealant at all apart from a tiny bit at the bottom. Absolute heap of [email protected]@p. Correction - a really expensive heap of [email protected]@p.
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 317 [Exalted Navigator]
    PhilBaker wrote: »
    Me too. Had the unit less than two years. My first winter it had condensation. I,ve taken it apart today and the screen literally fell out of the frame. No sealant at all apart from a tiny bit at the bottom. Absolute heap of [email protected]@p. Correction - a really expensive heap of [email protected]@p.

are you going to try to seal it ?? i know in the past mine has had the condensation. i used a sandwich bag this past trip knowing there was rain in the area...
    not sure what product, process to use to reseal the unit...
  • KeithO7KeithO7 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have had my TT rider 400 for 4 years now and the condensation issue arose for the first time this season, after a couple of heavy rain falls. The unit is probably out of warranty now, so I have it placed in a bag of rice. I may have to take a bag of rice on trips with me if this is an ongoing issue.

Keith.