Condensation Screen RIDER 400 — TomTom Community

Condensation Screen RIDER 400

Philg25Philg25 Posts: 1
edited January 2019 in RIDER
I have a 400 purchased less than 2 weeks ago. I have used the device twice and both times a large condensation patch has appeared on the screen at set off. The patch reduces after time but makes it nigh on impossible to read the screen until it disappears rendering the device almost useless. Customer service and I use that term lightly are less than helpful and will not acknowledge the problem. They say to send the unit back for repair however at less than 2 weeks old I would prefer a new unit sent immediately without this problem

Comments

• BoarderBoarder Posts: 107 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi, I have noticed this same issue for the first time on Thursday. Reacts exactly as you describe. I will try mine again today and see it it happens again. Today is much warmer so I don't know if that will make a difference. Sounds like it is not such an in common occurance. As for wanting to swap it, you could always try taking it back to your retailer. Some will just swap stuff straight away.
  • Miki86Miki86 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Unfortunately I also have had the same problem, 3 months after I bought it.
    I'm really disappointed about this problem because in August I have to travel to Scotland
    and can't make me a joke like that. However, I posted a picture...

Tomorrow will contact immediately the support !!!
    Hi,
    That's the same issue. Mine did it again today. Not straight away, after a while the condensation appeared. Covers about the middle 80% of the screen then starts reducing. Reduced much quicker today, possibly due to heat. I think I will try customer services also. Seems like a not so uncommon issue. I couldn't get a picture as I was riding. I'm leading a group to Austria in June so I hope they can sort it.
    Steve
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for flagging this issue!

I'll report this to the product team. Meanwhile, I'd recommend you all to contact Customer Service as they can help you with this the quickest. Devices booked in repair for hardware issues are always swapped.

Cheers, Mikko
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for flagging this issue!

I'll report this to the product team. Meanwhile, I'd recommend you all to contact Customer Service as they can help you with this the quickest. Devices booked in repair for hardware issues are always swapped.

Cheers, Mikko

Today I called customer service and they told me to send it for repair
  • FlybywyreFlybywyre Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    How do you contact customer services?
    I cannot find a customer service UK helpline, can you tell me what the number is, thank you.
  • EvilhomerEvilhomer Posts: 63 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi all

Regarding what Mikko is saying, it is common practice to replace the item as many parts can't be easily swapped. The annoying thing, as per any company (Apple are the same) is they don't guarantee if you are getting a brand new unit or a refurb but the warranty and quality have always been the same.

If in the UK at least you can always return to the place you bought it and often they'll replace it, especially if you've only had it a few weeks.

In a rare occasion of support for TomTom I had to return my rider 2 a few years ago and to be fair it was really quick, only a few days turn around and a unit was returned and it worked perfectly until I sold it and bought the 400 doh :-)
    Flybywyre wrote:
    I cannot find a customer service UK helpline, can you tell me what the number is, thank you.

I do not know for you...I found the number on the Italian site
  • DerBetaTesterDerBetaTester Posts: 27 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Flybywyre wrote:

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact/p/3967#PhoneTab
    02079 490 132
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • RockbyterRockbyter Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Mine also steamed up, only used a few times. Got it swapped and hope this one will be better. Picture from this Sunday before swapout.
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 361 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Mine steemed up today. Have not seen that before. The steem dissapered after a couple of hours. Should I worry?
  • fredaroony2fredaroony2 Posts: 111 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    I had the exact issue on my first unit. I bought a second one but havent had enough time with it to know if it's going to do it or not
    ThomasGN wrote:
    Mine steemed up today. Have not seen that before. The steem dissapered after a couple of hours. Should I worry?

Well, the condensation dissapered after a couple of hours in the sun. I will hope for the best, it has been rather moist in Denmark this summer.
    Mine used to come and go. Sometimes it was so bad it covered the screen for hours.
    Tomtom replaced the unit with no fuss and very efficiently.
    My new one suffered once on my recent trip. Will monitor as may have to get back in contact with them.
  • I am on my third rider 400 and all have misted up on dry sunny days as soon as the sun hits the screen. Can't see the cheaper car versions being as bad? I like the functionality of the unit but am now in two minds about tom tom products. This is the first bike sat navy I have owned and the first any of my biker mates have seen mist up.
  • Vfr1200Vfr1200 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem with mine.Bought it to go touring in Europe,first off the on of switch would not respond,after 1 day the blue tooth kept loosing connection,Used this week for the first time and low and behold condensated up.
    I very begrudgingly bought the 410 because I feel it's a rip off at £319but at least thought I would not have to cover the sat nav with a plastic bag each time it rained.How wrong after one use and one very light shower it's misting up,something I never had with my via live,which is also a far better sat-nav as you can also get weather reports for base and destination. Not impressed at all, i'am seriously thinking of sending it back under the not fit for purpose act and get my money back.Tom Tom take note as I have spoke to several other users who also think the same and have had the exact same problems.
    Vfr1200 wrote:
    I have the same problem with mine.Bought it to go touring in Europe,first off the on of switch would not respond,after 1 day the blue tooth kept loosing connection,Used this week for the first time and low and behold condensated up.
    I very begrudgingly bought the 410 because I feel it's a rip off at £319but at least thought I would not have to cover the sat nav with a plastic bag each time it rained.How wrong after one use and one very light shower it's misting up,something I never had with my via live,which is also a far better sat-nav as you can also get weather reports for base and destination. Not impressed at all, i'am seriously thinking of sending it back under the not fit for purpose act and get my money back.Tom Tom take note as I have spoke to several other users who also think the same and have had the exact same problems.

Ripoff compared to what? Garmin is a true ripoff in my opinion.
  • TenCatsTenCats Posts: 29 [Master Explorer]
    Let's not get into that discussion.
    My TomTom has been replaced because of the same issue as were several of my Garmin units with other issues. Fact is that the service level's are ok to some extend although TT could have been a bit quicker in returning a new Rider. Despite my request to hurry up, the new one was delivered the same day my holiday started so I could not use the TT Rider. But fortunately I still had my BMW Navigator V (=Garmin).
    TenCats wrote:
    Let's not get into that discussion.
    My TomTom has been replaced because of the same issue as were several of my Garmin units with other issues. Fact is that the service level's are ok to some extend although TT could have been a bit quicker in returning a new Rider. Despite my request to hurry up, the new one was delivered the same day my holiday started so I could not use the TT Rider. But fortunately I still had my BMW Navigator V (=Garmin).

I also have a BMW Navigator V and as a GPS the Tomtom is much better. The Nav V is terrible for bluetooth issues and Garmin support is not good either
  • reasonablereasonable Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Happened to me here in NZ .

Went for a Winter ride & a large condensation bubble appeared on the screen .

Covered approx 80% of the screen centred in the middle .

Photographed & took back to dealer .

After 3 weeks of waiting the dealer gave me a new Rider 400 after not getting reponse from TomTom .

Slack on Tomtom's part - & hopefully the replacement doesn't have issues .

Like the unit when its working & opens up heaps of new routes
    I had the exact issue on my first unit. I bought a second one but havent had enough time with it to know if it's going to do it or not

Yep second unit bought way after the 1st one does it too and not even on cold days.
    Arrgghh this is annoying! No point returning it except for a refund as they all seem to do it
  • LaoLao Posts: 12 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I had also the same problem here in Belgium, the TTR400 is not 100% condensproof.
    It happens by rain and cold.
    Lao wrote:
    I had also the same problem here in Belgium, the TTR400 is not 100% condensproof.
    It happens by rain and cold.

It was 20c and a sunny day when I took my picture yesterday. When the sun hits it is hard to see because it covers a lot of the screen
    Mine is now returned for service. Will see how that turns out.......