Sleep tracker not working

Janemcguire
Janemcguire Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hey!

Was wondering if anyone could help. I purchased a TomTom runner 2 a few days ago, all was working fine at the start but for some reason the sleep tracker is now not working? I don't think I've changed any of the settings and sleep is turned on, yet it hasn't recorded any sleep for the past few nights, or has just stopped recording sleep if that makes sense.

If anyone has any idea why please shout.

Thanks!

Comments

• Mick7020
    Mick7020 Registered Users Posts: 41
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    Not getting any info either
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Hey!

Was wondering if anyone could help. I purchased a TomTom runner 2 a few days ago, all was working fine at the start but for some reason the sleep tracker is now not working? I don't think I've changed any of the settings and sleep is turned on, yet it hasn't recorded any sleep for the past few nights, or has just stopped recording sleep if that makes sense.

If anyone has any idea why please shout.

Thanks!

Is it not showing any sleep on the watch or are the progress charts blank when you go to MySports? if it is MySports, try clearing the cache and restarting the browser or viewing it in a different browser. I had an issue where it was not showing on Edge (the chart was all blank) but was showing on Chrome. I cleared the Edge cache and it started showing me the data. If it is truly not recording it (the watch always shows zero when you press left and up when you wake up), it could be an issue with the watch or a smaller possibility it is a function of how you sleep. All the watch is using to detect sleep is movement; when you stop moving for some specified period of time (likely around 30 minutes) it assumes you are asleep and assumes you are awake when it gets a sustained period of movement. If 25 minutes into the 30 minute detection period you suddenly move a bit it is going to start over the 30 minute evaluation period again. So if you are a fairly restless sleeper and move around a lot there is a chance that it will not be able to accurately detect your sleep patterns. In this case you can take it off your wrist and put it on a side table (make sure it is someplace that will not get moved or shaken) and it will detect you as asleep. Pick it up when you wake up to show you are awake. You will unfortunately then lose the 24/7 HR but will get sleep tracking. I would say it is fairly accurate in general. It seems to catch me falling asleep and waking up fairly well, although I do notice if I wake up 30 minutes before my alarm and fall back asleep it sometimes will not count the last 30 minutes. This may be because I was restless and was not still enough to register as sleep or I was awake before the evaluation period was finished so it never registered me as back asleep. You can test it by taking it off and leaving it somewhere where it will not be disturbed and see if it goes into sleep tracking eventually.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Janemcguire
    Janemcguire Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks so much - this is really helpful. It's coming up as 0 hours as soon as I wake up, but might try re-setting to see if it is a problem with the watch, as it was recording when I first go it.
  • Sejor
    Sejor Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi, I've had the tomtom spark cardio, multi sport GPS music watch for just under a month. Have loved it, but the sleep tracker is not working anymore. I've got all my goals on, sensors on and following your advice above, took it off before bed time placed it on bedside table. When I woke gave it a wee shake put it on and went about getting ready for work etc. Nothing came up under the sleep mode for previous evening. All other activities that I do are recorded on the watch but not the sleep function.
    Ive done a re-set and re-sync watch / phone etc. but still not working. I'm not a restless sleeper so really stumped as to whats going on with the watch. Downloaded the user / reference guide from TomTom website and still no answers. Gutted. help?
  • xray79
    xray79 Registered Users Posts: 160
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Is the watch software up to date?
    I've noticed in the beginning that the sleeptracker was not always tracking and leaving it on a table/nightstand didn't work for me either. Apparently it needs to be on the wrist while sleeping but not sure why and haven't seen an official statement from Tom Tom about this, is just a gut feeling from me......
    Last months it is pretty accurate although sometimes when you sleep restless it doesn't record the sleep. And when you watch TV it sometimes also records this as sleep. Not to big a deal for me as i use it as a nice to have feature.
  • Hoffers
    Hoffers Registered Users Posts: 9
    Legendary Explorer
    On a similar track......I have noticed people say you can track your sleep with the watch OFF your wrist.....HOW.......clearly you cant go to sleep and the take it off your wrist. so each time I take my watch off it doesn't automatically think I'm asleep.I have the watch off quite often, I dont always wear the same watch, so how does putting it beside your bed make any difference, surely it just thinks you have the watch off.. Or have I missed something here, it doesn't say on the video they provide and there is no apparent way I can see to email customer support?
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Hoffers wrote:
    On a similar track......I have noticed people say you can track your sleep with the watch OFF your wrist.....HOW.......clearly you cant go to sleep and the take it off your wrist. so each time I take my watch off it doesn't automatically think I'm asleep.I have the watch off quite often, I dont always wear the same watch, so how does putting it beside your bed make any difference, surely it just thinks you have the watch off.. Or have I missed something here, it doesn't say on the video they provide and there is no apparent way I can see to email customer support?
    It actually has no off wrist detection, sleep is simply triggered by lack of movement so if you take it off and put it on your side table it will detect it as sleep.
  • Hoffers
    Legendary Explorer
    Hi ,thankyou for the reply , but I don’t wear my watch 24/7 I have watches I wear at work and watches I wear when I’m out (I know lucky me). I certainly don’t wear a Watch in bed , so my problem is this , I record my running , soccer refereeing, gym sessions on the app and after I complete these the Watch is simply not on my wrist. So when I do get to sleep it’s not a case that I’m taking the Watch off , it’s already off. I’ve never seen (despite sleep being turned on) that it records any period of inactivity as sleep? So my question is with this in mind how do I record my sleep as it should likely have an effect on fitness and well being / estimated fitness age etc . I’m thinking the answer is it just won’t and it’s about as useful in that respect as a chocolate fireguard . Am I correct
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Hoffers wrote:
    Hi ,thankyou for the reply , but I don’t wear my watch 24/7 I have watches I wear at work and watches I wear when I’m out (I know lucky me). I certainly don’t wear a Watch in bed , so my problem is this , I record my running , soccer refereeing, gym sessions on the app and after I complete these the Watch is simply not on my wrist. So when I do get to sleep it’s not a case that I’m taking the Watch off , it’s already off. I’ve never seen (despite sleep being turned on) that it records any period of inactivity as sleep? So my question is with this in mind how do I record my sleep as it should likely have an effect on fitness and well being / estimated fitness age etc . I’m thinking the answer is it just won’t and it’s about as useful in that respect as a chocolate fireguard . Am I correct
    If you are not wearing the watch it will not track it and there is no way to manually input the times. The point of the watch is to be a 24/7 activity tracker so if you do not wear it 24/7 you are giving up that and it will be of limited utility. It has no impact of fitness age, that is directly driven off a presumed VO2Max calculated during running and cycling activities only.
  • Hoffers
    Legendary Explorer
    Thankyou for your reply , I’ll just have to be content with mapping my runs then, I should think about 2% of customers would want to wear this watch 24/7, it hardly looks class in a glass, it’s got the most dodgy strap I’ve ever seen, which at full 24/7 use will cost the average user the cost of the Watch three fold, and it’s usefulness just plummeted by 90% in that the figures it produces on fitness levels are clearly a waste of space if your not strapped to it night and day. Anyhow thank you again for your reply
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    Hoffers wrote:
    Thankyou for your reply , I’ll just have to be content with mapping my runs then, I should think about 2% of customers would want to wear this watch 24/7, it hardly looks class in a glass, it’s got the most dodgy strap I’ve ever seen, which at full 24/7 use will cost the average user the cost of the Watch three fold, and it’s usefulness just plummeted by 90% in that the figures it produces on fitness levels are clearly a waste of space if your not strapped to it night and day. Anyhow thank you again for your reply
    Any activity tracker, be it Garmin, Fitbit, TomTom or others, requires 24/7 wearing, that is just the way it works. However, I would agree the TT is not exactly a pretty device which detracts from wearing it all the time. I have a Garmin Vivoactive 3 that actually looks like a nice watch but also does all the activity tracking as well as the sports tracking.
  • Hoffers
    Legendary Explorer
    I won’t go on about my watches, but I wear different ones for different occasions and uses if it has to be worn 24/7 to give me some sort of (perhaps) accurate reading I’m not that interested I don’t think most people want or do wear a watch 24/7 and whilst I like being fit and knowing what is what it doesn’t rule my whole life , thankyou for the heads up though I’ll take a look at it next time I see it, in the mean time this will do to keep general track of my runs anything else is beyond it’s capabilities I expect for how most wear a watch and with the dreadful plastic strap and it’s own charger I don’t think I’d recommend it , although to be fair for a general user it’s probably ok