Bandit Camera- No Wi-Fi connection with Android 6 (Marshmallow). — TomTom Community

Bandit Camera- No Wi-Fi connection with Android 6 (Marshmallow).

CPGCPG Posts: 48 [Prominent Wayfarer]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Bandit Action Camera
After updating my Motorola Moto E (2nd Generation) with 4G LTE, from Android 5 (Lollipop) to Android 6 (Marshmallow) the Camera no longer connects to the Wi-Fi on the phone.

In the phones Wi-Fi connection it sees the Bandit and asks for the code, after entering the connection code it goes into a loop several times, from connecting to authentication problem and finally to saved. If you try to connect again it goes into the same loop until the camera goes into sleep mode.

I have reset the phone network settings and then connected the Bandit before any other Wi-Fi and it went into the same loop – connecting – authentication problem – saved – camera goes to sleep.

I have reset the Wi-Fi connection in the camera by going to: General – Camera – Reset – Reset Wi-Fi, And it goes into the same loop.

The Camera firmware is Version 1.52.427.

Are you able to help?

Comments

• ChrisChris Posts: 934 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi CPG, I am not experiencing any issues with Marshmallow on Galaxy S6, I'm not totally familiar with the Motorola Moto E.
    I recommend checking the wi-fi settings on your phone, if there's a feature enabled named something like "Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections" in your wi-fi settings menus, this may be preventing the phone from staying connected to the Bandit. The feature has different names on different phones, (Samsung call it Smart Network Switch). What this will do is test the connectivity of the wi-fi that the phone is connected to, as it detects the Bandit's wi-fi doesn't allow it to connect to the internet it automatically disconnects from it. It could be something else, but this is the first place I would start.
  • CPGCPG Posts: 48 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Chris wrote:
    Hi CPG, I am not experiencing any issues with Marshmallow on Galaxy S6, I'm not totally familiar with the Motorola Moto E.
    I recommend checking the wi-fi settings on your phone, if there's a feature enabled named something like "Avoid bad Wi-Fi connections" in your wi-fi settings menus, this may be preventing the phone from staying connected to the Bandit. The feature has different names on different phones, (Samsung call it Smart Network Switch). What this will do is test the connectivity of the wi-fi that the phone is connected to, as it detects the Bandit's wi-fi doesn't allow it to connect to the internet it automatically disconnects from it. It could be something else, but this is the first place I would start.

The problem is that in maybe 1 in 20 cases it connects and the app works fine, but it is not repeatable once you disconnect. When it is trying to connect the phone says the signal strength is poor, however if it dose connect it says the signal strength is excellent, link speed is 72 Mbps, frequency 2.4 GHz ans security is WPA2 PSK.
    I have writen to Motorola and followed their advise and reset the phone to factory settings, I have "reset all" on the Bandit, when I tried to connect it connected first time but hasn't done so since (I have tried LOTS of times). I wrote again to Motorola and included your reply to me, this is their reply:
    "Thank you for contacting Motorola.
    We are sorry that you have been experiencing difficulties with your Moto E 2nd Gen.

We would suggest that you try resetting your camera to factory settings and then try pairing the two devices again. However, please note that we cannot guarantee the compatibility of 3rd party devices with our phones. If your phone was working fine with the camera before, we would advice you to contact the developer of the app to verify that they have updated the compatibility of this app with Android Marshmallow. Another option could be to verify that the camera software is up-to-date."

This is a problem for me as I cant use the app. Are you able to help further? It suggests that there is a problem in the firm ware when used with the Motorola and Android 6 that was not there with Android 5.1.
  • vinayalekarvinayalekar Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am also facing same problem with Moto g4 plus device. When I try to connect my office wi-fi network it will gives message "authentication problem". We are connecting the wi-fi network using our global Id and password.
    Please help me to resolve this problem.
  • mkrisomkriso Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I have similar problem with huawei g8. When trying to connect after entering pin from tomtom, it cannot connect with a massage that wrong pin was entered... The same is when trying to connect via bandit app. I tried to reset password in tomtom, reinstall bandit app, even reseting my phone to factory defaults, but without effect... Someone faced and solved similar issue?
  • HairsquareHairsquare Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a similar problem with Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.0.1.
    Bandit says it is connected but the S4 keeps searching.
    No further messages after entering the pin code.
    As a result the app won't start.
    How to solve this?
  • AndersNordhAndersNordh Posts: 276 [Supreme Navigator]
    Hi,

Have an Asus Zenfone 2, worked great with the TT Bandit app when it was running Android 5.0.1, not so after upgrade to 6.0.1. I don't blame the TT Bandit alone but there seem to be a mismatch, at least with some phone models.

Have a nice day!
    Anders
  • mkrisomkriso Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    So maybe it seems that app should be updated and there is problem under Android 6 with some smartphones
  • mesloomesloo Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I have the same issue with my Motorola Moto G3 (2015) running Android 6.0. Bought the Bandit this week and struggling to establish a connection. I updated the Bandit to latest firmware, WIFI reset, full reset, check latest version of app, I just can't get a connection with my Moto G. The app sees the Bandit, I can choose it, entering the code but it remains in connection loop after that. WIFI states an 'authentication error', but I do use the right code. Moto G has no options for 'Smart Network Switch' or 'bad WIFI connections'.

Connecting the Bandit with my Nexus 9 tablet running stock Android 7.0 works fine, but I need to set it up with my phone. Never had WIFI issues with my Moto G before. Please get a fix for this annoying issue.
  • sercolanisercolani Posts: 37 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Have you tried to connect the bandit's WiFi to the phone through the WiFi settings of the phone instead of using the Bandit App?
    Yes, I did that with the same result: it tries to connect, but doesn't establish a connection. Also displaying authentication error.
    Tried it with the phone of my wife (Motorola Moto G4 (2016) with Android 6.0.1), same issue.
  • aomeijeraomeijer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here with a Moto 3G, will find the bandit but when trying to connect I get a authentication problem. Tried direct WiFi connection but not bandit won't accept. Also resetting phone and bandit did not solve anything. There is no possibility to change any other wifi settings.

With my Apple SE lon iOS 10 tgere is no problem so it seems there is a problem with (som) android phones. Mine is running on 6.0

TomTom any idea if and when this issue will get solved?
  • sercolanisercolani Posts: 37 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    @aomeijer, it sounds like your saved connection to the Bandit contains the incorrect password. If you go to the Wi-Fi setting in your phone, there is a menu to access "saved networks". From there, you can forget the connection to the Bandit. Once you do this, open the Bandit app and establish the connection to the camera.
  • aomeijeraomeijer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @Renowned Trailblazer; thanks for the reply but that was the first thing I tried. And that didn't work. Still think it is something with Android aswith my iphone (ios10) and ipad (ios9) it all works...
  • CPGCPG Posts: 48 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    aomeijer wrote:
    @Renowned Trailblazer; thanks for the reply but that was the first thing I tried. And that didn't work. Still think it is something with Android aswith my iphone (ios10) and ipad (ios9) it all works...

After spending OVER 6 weeks writing to Motorola AND TomTom and spending a lot of time on this problem but eventually getting fobed off - Motorola saying its TomTom, TomTom saying it's Motorola but BOTH companies not trying to solve the problem very hard I got a Samsung Galaxy S5 and when it asked to upgrade to Android 6 I blocked it as it works on 5.1.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 5,172 Moderator
    Hi CPG,

I can see that your Bandit camera still has the old software version 1.57.500.500 installed on it. We've released a new update v1.61.508 after that, so I would advise you to update the camera with the latest version and see if that helps.

You can update the camera with Bandit Studio as well, see here : Updating your Bandit software

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
    lampard
  • MagnitoMagnito Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi Lampard,

I have just purchased a Bandit and I'm having problems getting it to connect to my Moto G3 running Andriod 6.0.

I tried the suggestion to remove the Bandit from the saved networks in my WiFi settings and connect to it using the App and that did eventually connect. Once!

A message said there was an update to the version you said (v1.61.508). So I ran the install on the Bandit but now it will not connect no matter what I try.

I've reset the WiFi settings on the Bandit to get a new Name and Password and removed the old saved name from the phone but nothing.

Really frustrating as I'm dying to use my new toy!

Hope you can help.

Magnito
    Hi Magnito,

Welcome to the Community!

As mentioned in my above response, you can update the device software with Bandit Studio on your computer as well, see the FAQ here: Update your Bandit software

Once you update the camera software then please give it a test run again and let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
    lampard
    Hi Lampard,

Thanks for the quick response.

As I said, on the one occasion the Camera did connect to my phone, the update must have been downloaded. As it ran the install on the Camera and the Status is now showing Version 1.61.508.

I'm going to try downloading the App on to my old Moto G which is running an earlier version Android and see if that works. But I would prefer to use the newer phone as it's got a bigger screen and a lot more memory, etc..

Cheers,

Magnito
    Still very unhappy with the Bandit not working with my Motorola Moto G3. Updated to the newest firmware, still not working.

Why can't you fix this TomTom? It really makes it annoying this important feature isn't working.
  • hans2150hans2150 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello,
    Same problem here, got a moto e 4g 2015 (android 7.1.1) with a authentication error. My moto g 2013 (android 6.1) got an instant connection.
    Both phones on cyanogenmod. What helped for me was an app called "wifi connection fixer (root)". You got to have root access to your phone.
    It's not the bandit, it's the phone.
    I've now tried the app on my old Moto G1 (which my wife now uses) this is running an earlier version of Android (5.x) and it connects first time, every time. My mates got a Samsung Galaxy 5 running Android 6.0.1 and that works perfectly too. Conclusion is, it's not the Bandit but the combination of the Moto G3 and OS version.

That said I can get it to connect to the Bandit with a bit of perseverance.

1. Go into the WiFi settings on the phone and in saved networks "forget" any bandit connections
    2. Turn off the phones WiFi immediately after doing 1. above.
    3. Power up the Bandit and go into the Camera settings and reset the WiFi to give it a new name and passcode
    4. Launch the app and try to connect, when the new name appears press connect and enter passcode when prompted. DO NOT try connecting using the phones WiFi settings, the Bandit app will turn on the WiFi for you.
    5. Make sure the bandit keeps displaying the WiFi connection screen by pressing up on the controller, if it has timed out and gone back to the shooting mode screen.
    6. Eventually the Bandit will say it's connected even though the app is still saying connecting. Shutdown the app and reopen it and it should connect OK.
    7. You may have to wait a minute of two for the connection to establish but I've found it does eventually get there. You just need to be patient.
    8. If not, repeat the procedure from the top and to give it a new WiFi name and passcode.

This is a bit of a faff but at least I can use my phone and Bandit together.

Lastly, once it is connected, you can close the app and re-open it later and it will still be connected. Just so long as you don't change your WiFi settings on the phone. Obviously, when connected to the Bandit, you won't have an internet connection.
  • Chrise2312Chrise2312 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It seems this is the only way to connect, at least through my Samsung Note 5, go through settings, WiFi, then it connects. Has anyone had issues with trying to register their Bandit, customer service no help.
    Thank you very much for you solution Magnito, it also works for me!
    It's still difficult to get it reconnecting to the app. I managed to get it connecting sometimes, but it's time consuming and not always working. Any suggestions on that?
    Chrise2312 wrote:
    It seems this is the only way to connect, at least through my Samsung Note 5, go through settings, WiFi, then it connects. Has anyone had issues with trying to register their Bandit, customer service no help.

You can also use the Bandit Studio software on your computer to link your Bandit camera to MySports Account and update it. See my response above to know more about it.

I've already sent a heads-up to the customer support and they'll get back to you on this. Once you update the camera with Studio software, please try again to pair your Note 5 device with the camera and see if it helps.

Cheers,
    lampard