Map deleted by update; can't re-install. Very frustrated - Page 2 — TomTom Community

Map deleted by update; can't re-install. Very frustrated

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,283 Superusers
    Did you actually call support about your problem?
  • GrangyGrangy Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Yes
    And? Were they no help?
  • jasonsc2000jasonsc2000 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I had the same problem with my start 20, with Europe maps, after downloading new software and maps, the device said no maps found, I spent hours trying reset and nothing. In the end I unistalled Tomtom, and found an older version of the software on my computer stored in downloads. Downloaded it reset my Tomtom while connected to computer kept hand on the on button until black screen, pressed on button three times quick and it connected to the software. And updated everything and maps, all ok now. All I can think is new software fir Tomtom connect as not been tested. Not what you would expect from Tomtom.
  • CorkonianCorkonian Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    I have the exact same issue. Has anyone come up with a solution?
    I haven't had the same luck as some of you had with repeatedly installing.
  • jasonsc2000jasonsc2000 Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I ended up installing an older version of the software. Then reconnecting to computer then all was reinstalled om
    Thanks Jason - I read your earlier comment alright. I don't have a copy of an older build though.
    I wonder would TomTom be able to make a copy available somewhere for the rest of us?
    At the bottom of this screen are a variety of links. Under Support is Contact Us. Select it, make sure your country flag is showing, select your device from the dropdown window and buttons appear including email and phone. Select one to contact support.
    I don't want to waste time and money contacting them when I know they won't have a solution. Not sure how much each call costs TomTom but the aim of every company is to reduce support calls. If they had a solution do you not think that they'd have put it up here? We all have the same issue. I don't see the point of repeating everything again.
    I'd be willing to have a bet with you if you want. €50 that they won't get my Go 40 up and running again after one call. Put your money where your mouth is :)
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,718 Superuser
    @Corkonian

By the way pity you did not mention that you had a GO40 till now as other users here on this forum cannot help you whitout knowing what we are dealing with.
    Here is the actual phone number of Irish Customer Services, not living in Ireland I do not know the cost to you

CS Ireland
    1890 812 008
    Monday-Friday: 09:00 am to 5:00 pm
  • G4racerG4racer Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had/have major problems and finally got through to support. I found TomTom does not care about providing Support. I finally gave up and am using 5 year old maps. I now tell people that if there is a chance of having problems I hope you don't have a TomTom.
    What problems are you having and what did support say about them. The second sentence in your post is somewhat dumb the way it is.
  • HarryCHarryC Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem as the original poster and others, GO 5000 not usable for the past month since I can't get a map to install. There was a map update recently I thought might help (tried again 21 May) but no difference. I have tried clearing the cache, repair option and installing to internal storage or card. Windows 10. I have a Rider 400 also which is OK, so it doesn't appear to be PC, firewalls etc. Something to do with different software versions or internal storage ? Please can this be looked at, seems to be a problem for many
    This is a user forum. Call support to assist:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • CHAS166CHAS166 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Hi just a quick update on the NO map software on my Go 5000 after Map update.
    I have fixed mine happy days this is how I did it might work give it a go.

I was told by support that it could be the media card as the maps are stored on the card if it goes down there will be no maps on the satnav that's explains why no maps found so upgraded to 16GB SanDisk

Take out media card connect to computer when started do a soft reboot (hold button down until it restarts and you hear the drums)
    Start MyDrive go to my contents and down load smallest European map.

After map downloaded and installed about 1 hour don't use the computer or internet while its down loading.
    Then turn off satnav insert new card turn back on set card did mine for maps go to MyDrive and download full map
    this will put map on Media card this is NOT a five minute fix it took my a couple of hours or so

Hope this helps
  • Frits37Frits37 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I ran into a similar problem: when updating the European map and leaving the 'puter to do the job, I found out that my Start 20 said 'no maps found' and MyDrive saying 'update successful'. I tried various suggestions. What seemed to work was to install a smaller map of Europe. It downloaded allright but the updating process didn't start. Then I removed the cable from the computer and put it back again. That triggered something, now the updating process is in action. 17% by now. Fingers crossed.........
  • conairconair Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    My GPS has got the map deleted several times. I have been talking to them,but it's like they laugh behind your back.
    I ask to change th device,but they said it was not possible.
    I will never again buy a tom tom product,it's only problems.
  • Frits37Frits37 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Fingers crossing helped: update succesful. Really :-)
    I wasn't that lucky,had to go to the shop 4 the 4th time last winter,to make them update
    the maps for me,and they said i need to pay for it.No way i said,the device is just one and
    half year old,so it's guarantee job.Had to argue wit tom tom several times for guarantee.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,225 TomTom Moderator
    Hi conair

I had a look at your contact history and I see you had started an ticket last year for the updating issue.

They had offered the options to arrange for the remote session or book a repair. Then I don't see any response from your end.

If you are still facing issues with the updates then I would advice you to please check with them further assistance.

Regards
    Vikram
    Looks like this issue isn't a new one! I have an ancient Garmin that still works perfectly so I'll be going back to using that and must try and return the TomTom.

dhn - €50 still waiting if I'm wrong!
  • skull66skull66 Posts: 25 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I had to reset my GO6000 the other day after a failed map update, since then have been unable to connect to live services, with the same message as you "oops sorry, service temporarily unavailable" without the live traffic and speedcams this virtually useless to me. This is my last TomTom, I'm buying Garmin next!
    The problem is that i need to go to the shop every time i need to update my
    unit,it cost me money,as i have to take free from work.Every time i try to
    download updates for my unit,it erase all maps.I have ask to change for another
    brand,because i am so tired of the mess this **** have cost me.but so far no help
    from tom tom.It is ridicolous that you can't change to another unit,after all i have
    gone thru!
  • SAV101SAV101 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Dear TomTom,
    I just tried to update my device as well, and of course it is now useless. In a few hours me an my family start our vacation in Spain, thanks for giving us a fantastic start. You probably have a great future ahead of you, when you spend months not being able to fix a bug, at the very least you could have blocked my attempted update when you are well aware of these issues.

I will never, EVER, use any of your products again.